Tics and repellant tip.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Tics and repellant tip.

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 08, 2014 8:10 am

Here is a post from an old thread. Notice there is a synthetic and a natural version. The natural stuff doesn't very last long. You can pick up concentrated Permethrin lots of places including online.

DEERSLAYER wrote:http://www.campmor.com/sawyer-24-oz-permethrin-clothing-insect-repellant-pump-spray.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=81336

Permethrin, is a synthetic molecule similar to those found in natural pyrethrum which is taken from the Chrysanthemum flower. Not only does this product repel insect, but will actually kill ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites and more than 55 other kinds of insects.

A single application of Permethrin lasts 6 washings.

http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/v ... f=4&t=3030

All I use is the Permethrin , I spray it on my clothing, hang them on a line and let them dry. The slacks are sprayed inside the legs up to about where the knees would be. Socks and shoes are also sprayed. It is for clothing and is not to be sprayed on a person.

DO NOT SPRAY your clothing for two weeks after the 1st application. Residual protection lasts a mimimum of two weeks.

Wash your clothing at lease three times before retreating it after the two week time limit.

It makes DEET look like something that the Cave Men used...

The one I like is the REPEL Permanone... Active ingredients:
Permethrin ............ 0.05%
Other Ingredients 99.5%

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 08, 2014 9:25 am

Does anyone know if this would take care of Asian lady beetles? I have a bunch of them gathered around the small windows in my basement. I would really like to take them out and keep them out. My guess is this stuff would do it. Anyone?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 08, 2014 9:32 am

Use the house guard stuff for the beetles. Lasts all year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 08, 2014 9:36 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Use the house guard stuff for the beetles. Lasts all year.

Thanks!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 08, 2014 9:42 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Does anyone know if this would take care of Asian lady beetles? I have a bunch of them gathered around the small windows in my basement. I would really like to take them out and keep them out. My guess is this stuff would do it. Anyone?

I have used the stuff to kill ants, Japanese beetles, box elder bugs, crickets and probably more than I can remember. Great for crickets you hear one chirp put a little spray in his direction.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 am

Stanley wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:Does anyone know if this would take care of Asian lady beetles? I have a bunch of them gathered around the small windows in my basement. I would really like to take them out and keep them out. My guess is this stuff would do it. Anyone?

I have used the stuff to kill ants, Japanese beetles, box elder bugs, crickets and probably more than I can remember. Great for crickets you hear one chirp put a little spray in his direction.

Good to know. Thanks, Stanley.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Does anyone have any other brands they use like Stanley, which are concentrated Permethrin and can be diluted?

Thanks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 08, 2014 5:01 pm

P&YBuck1 wrote:Does anyone have any other brands they use like Stanley, which are concentrated Permethrin and can be diluted?

Thanks

I would go to the stores and look at the labels. Look for insecticides that have Permethrin in them. This is what i did.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 pm

P&YBuck1 wrote:Does anyone have any other brands they use like Stanley, which are concentrated Permethrin and can be diluted?

Thanks

I haven't used this, but it's by far the most concentrated one I have found (36.8%). You would probably need a syringe to measure this stuff properly. I think that comes out to ~1.75 oz per gallon (73.6 parts water to 1 part Permethrin) or 51.7cc's per gallon (0.44 oz or 12.9cc's per quart).

It's $22.35 for a quart and they have free shipping too.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/perme ... p-445.html
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks much DeerSlayer!

I will checkout.

John
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 am

I got some this weekend before I went out. I added some of the uncut permethrin to a large jug of bug killer that already contained it. I may well have gone overkill with it but I had 16 ticks and about 9 tick bites on me from previous weekend scouting, I had used the store bought spray with permethrin, it clearly did not work well. With my new batch I sprayed about like Stan said, shirt, pants, boots, didn't do sock or underwear, I also wore another shirt inside...just to be safe as I soaked the outside shirt pretty good. It certainly worked, only 1 tick that I think just dropped off a limb onto my shirt.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 am

I notice a lot of guys are washing there clothes w permathin. Do u guys use it early bow season for mosquitos as well?? I hear when it dries its odorless??

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 am

brkissl82 wrote:I notice a lot of guys are washing there clothes w permathin. Do u guys use it early bow season for mosquitos as well?? I hear when it dries its odorless??

I wouldn't consider it odorless. But it doesn't have the extreme chemical smell once dried. I cant see using it early season a problem. They won't smell you anyways if you're using the wind to your advantage.

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Ill have to look into it. Im headn on my first bear hunt in 2 weeks and the guide said the mosquitos are worse than ever

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Just got a bottle and washed my huntn clothes. Kind of smells to me i may need to re wash my clothes without it. Im afraid of ruining my first bear hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”