turkey scouting

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

turkey scouting

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:24 pm

So theres a lot of talk about deer scouting tips but im wondering how u guys go about scouting turkeys

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: turkey scouting

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07 pm

my season starts wed morning. Turkeys seem to be much simpler critters than bucks. I scout from the truck a lot in the evenings and try to locate a strutter from a long ways away. If I see one from the road, ideally an hour or so before sunset, I will follow him from a safe distance, watch, listen and when all goes right i watch him fly right onto the roost. Good binocs help. Then I set up as close as possible the next morning and keep the calling to a minimum.

I was out tonight scouting for a tom. I couldn't see any turkeys anywhere but I parked the truck and walked to a part of the woods that just felt turkeyish and I just stood there till dark. Right after sunset sure enough, big flapping wings and a loud gobble a minute later. Kinda lucked out tonight more than anything but I will take it!

I have also gone to places where I suspect turkeys are around and sat on a vantage point overlooking some big curly looking roosting trees in a marsh and watched a bunch of them fly up over a half mile away. Even from that far away I still felt like they were staring me down and I waited till after dark to move back to the truck.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”