Funny thing from this weekend while sighting in scope.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Funny thing from this weekend while sighting in scope.

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 am

Had a few minutes and decided to rough sight in the scope on Saturday. I got it zeroed in at 15 yards with the target loads and decided to use my last years Remington 4/6 shells for getting dialed in at 40 yards, then check with one of my Hevi-shot shells.

I walked back in the house, and went up to the gun cabinet. I had 4 shells left over from last season, and patterning. I found 4 green high brass shells and grabbed them. Went back to the woods, and moved the target back to a paced 40 yards.

Sat down, loaded up the Remington shell, got settled, and "WOOOOOM!!"

Man I just got JACKED UP. I put my head back on the gun and checked the target. What the heck, no bb's. Did I miss, or whiff or what the heck just happened. There was a single hole just a smidge off from where I was aiming. I wondered if it had been the wad. I walked up and knew exactly what happened. I grabbed a few of the pumpkin balls I bought for the last day last year. Know wonder I got decked!

Here is a picture of this pattern. LOL and I think I win artist of the year for this quick sketch.

I was laughing about the pumpkin ball and got a good jab from my dad and a buddy about it.

Today I decided to dial in the hevi shot. I fine tuned with some old turkey shells then shot at 40. I was about 2" left but still put enough to kill the bird. I decided instead of shooting at 40 again I would shoot at where I would wait to get the bird. I moved the scope a few clicks to the right and I placed the target at 30 instead. Here is the pattern from the 2 oz. loads. both the 1 3/4oz and 2 oz hit the same. I decided it would make more sense to make sure they both hit the same, then wait.

The 2oz shot very well and put 112 shots in the head and neck at 30 yards. THe pattern was not too dense and tight either, pretty much all the shot was in about a 12" circle. It pretty much matches with the outside circle of my scope at that distance. I am very happy with my set up and peace of mind it brings me to know exactly where my bb's are going. Also makes me think if I should give my 12 gage a try with pumpkin balls. LOL!

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Jackson Marsh

Re: Funny thing from this weekend while sighting in scope.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:08 am

:lol:

Good shooting!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Re: Funny thing from this weekend while sighting in scope.

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:35 pm

If they ever make Turkey stamps you could submit that first target...nice shooting

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”