Archery shot placement on turkeys....

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tmarbut

Archery shot placement on turkeys....

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 am

Next weekend is opening weekend for us. I hope to get one with a bow this year. Problem: I am not sure what to aim at on the turkey. I have heard to shoot at the beard. I also read here (couldn't find the link) that someone suggested to aim at the legs, or thighs maybe. Anyway, interested to know what the most effective aiming points are.
Many thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bigburner

Re: Archery shot placement on turkeys....

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:31 am

Hit em high watch em die. Hit em low watch em go. And they will go far and your likely hood of finding a turkey hit low and back is about zero.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 am

Bingo! I got two last year with this advice and they both were down and dead in 10 seconds or less. Another option is the head shot with the bullhead's or other similar heads, it seems hard but if you compare target size you have a bigger target with the head and neck, and with the size of the heads you have about a 6 inch wide margin for error and about 8-10" vertical margin of error. Best part is its all or nothing, you either kill them dead or they are missed completely.

Bigburner wrote:Hit em high watch em die. Hit em low watch em go. And they will go far and your likely hood of finding a turkey hit low and back is about zero.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 am

Another thing I forgot, set your decoys close, like 5 yards or less, that way you are taking super high percentage shots. I am comfy on a deer to 35-40 yards, on a turkey with a regular mechanical my limit was 20. With the bullheads its 30 yards, so I actually have more range with the head loppers, that also helps a lot with shot placement having the birds really close when you let them have it.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks guys!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”