Fall turkey hunting?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Fall turkey hunting?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:02 pm

I applied for a WI fall turkey permit and was awarded one for zone 4. Not a huge surprise as I think everyone who applies gets one. There's currently over 7000 left unsold and you can buy one more tag per day until they're sold out. I know some of the guys on here shoot turkeys in the fall. Does anyone hunt for them? How do you hunt for them in the fall vs spring? Or do most guys just keep the tag in the pocket in case one walks by while deer hunting?

Dewey

Re: Fall turkey hunting?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Just got my tag too. I carry a tag just in case I encounter one I want to shoot while hunting for deer but never go out of my way and dedicate and time to just hunting fall turkey. Had quite a few wander by me while on stand but didn't want to shoot and screw up a set up on a buck bed I was hunting. Problem is in fall they usually come by in large flocks so the commotion they create probably screws things up for awhile anyway.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

I live for it. Stalk them in the fall. I make special trips for it and sometime the 6 hour journey up to the Upper Peninsula.

I like to spot a flock, and put a sneak on them. If one gives me a shot I take it, but most times with that many turkey eyes I bump them. Because I go low and slow they usually bunch up in a thicket. Sometimes I wait a bit or circle them. When I think I am close I get in creep mode again and start looking for a head or relaxed wing flap. First clear head gets it, then all heck breaks loose. During last years chaotic fall hunt actually had 2 tags in my pocket and filled them both.

The excitement of a bunching them up in a thicket and then creeping in and letting them have it, is just too much for me.

I tried the busting them up and Ki-Ki-Ki-ing them in and that is cool too. They will usually reassemble near wear you busted them up. But after trying that I thought, why didn't I shoot one while busting them. Then I got into this bumping them into a thicket and sneaking in. Try that if you want a have a blast.

Good luck and shootem and eatem
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I live for it. Stalk them in the fall. I make special trips for it and sometime the 6 hour journey up to the Upper Peninsula.

I like to spot a flock, and put a sneak on them. If one gives me a shot I take it, but most times with that many turkey eyes I bump them. Because I go low and slow they usually bunch up in a thicket. Sometimes I wait a bit or circle them. When I think I am close I get in creep mode again and start looking for a head or relaxed wing flap. First clear head gets it, then all heck breaks loose. During last years chaotic fall hunt actually had 2 tags in my pocket and filled them both.

The excitement of a bunching them up in a thicket and then creeping in and letting them have it, is just too much for me.

I tried the busting them up and Ki-Ki-Ki-ing them in and that is cool too. They will usually reassemble near wear you busted them up. But after trying that I thought, why didn't I shoot one while busting them. Then I got into this bumping them into a thicket and sneaking in. Try that if you want a have a blast.

I like your thinking Lou
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 pm

That sounds like fun! Like always, I'm trying to consider how I could do that and film it. Sounds tough
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Sorry Lou but I had to laugh at this line "First clear head gets it" :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Dewey wrote:Just got my tag too. I carry a tag just in case I encounter one I want to shoot while hunting for deer but never go out of my way and dedicate and time to just hunting fall turkey. Had quite a few wander by me while on stand but didn't want to shoot and screw up a set up on a buck bed I was hunting. Problem is in fall they usually come by in large flocks so the commotion they create probably screws things up for awhile anyway.

Big X2......

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Bust up the flock, sit down and call. They will come right back to the same spot looking to regroup. I promise you.

It is almost too easy this way in the fall. Many of my family members are die hard turkey hunters, the way guys on here are for deer. Turkeys want to be flocked up in the fall. It's like their brain has a glitch that when they get separated all they think is 'this is the last spot I saw the flock' instead of 'this is the spot a hunter spooked me'.

It seems crazy but we have done it for years. Once one of us busts up a flock and gets our bird we take the others right back to the same spot asap and everyone usually kills a bird. Takes a big flock a long time to regroup.

I doesn't matter if you bust them off the roost or off the ground.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
bb70

Unread postby bb70 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:55 pm

I love hunting turks in the spring but always carry a few tags with me in the fall. I've filled my fall tag for over last 10 years with the bow just while deer hunting. They are much much trickier to draw on then deer and will always test your archery skills. I will only shoot one when the time is right as to not mess up a prime sit. Good eats on the grill. If you deer hunt enough you will get plenty of chances...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:25 am

My son and I usually wait till december to hunt them. With snow on the ground, all you got to do is find a hot food source and you will be on to them. Run amd gun style.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:54 am

exojam wrote:Sorry Lou but I had to laugh at this line "First clear head gets it" :lol:

Turns out they are usually the young of the year, but they are bigger than a pheasant and I shoot them
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:I live for it. Stalk them in the fall. I make special trips for it and sometime the 6 hour journey up to the Upper Peninsula.

That sounds like an absolute riot. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”