First wingbone call attempt

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

First wingbone call attempt

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 am

This is my first practice wing bone call. I want to get it right so I can decrease the risk of me ruining the bones from my first gobbler. The store bought wings do not have the best tone, but this was mainly to get the assembly process down. It was fun to try a new craft, I am a fly tyer so i enjoy these "micro projects"

I am going to let the epoxy dry a bit more before i sand it. I got ansy this morning and it was a little tacky.

I am meeting with my uncle this week some time to get some rod building thread, and have him show me how to apply it on the call.

Once i have it wrapped I will be doing some artwork on the call. I will be tracing the call first on to paper and figure out what I want to put where.I am thinking I will try and recreate the scene of when I shot my turkey, which will be a bird sneaking from behind a tree.

I will keep you guys updated on this. I want to create one decorative call out of mine, and one to use for hunting. From my research hen bones make the best calls so it looks like i will have to try and let a gobbler walk in the fall if given a shot opportunity.

One of my favorite thing to do in the outdoor sports is find ways to extend memories. For example I often shoot small game, eat them, use their feathers and fur, to tie flies to catch trout. It seems primitive in a sence to use every aspect of the animal you can, but i really enjoy it. Every time i put on a squirrel nymph, I think back to the squirrel that i harvested and thus reliving the memory of the hunt. I really want to harvest a bird with a call that i make from another bird, and is my goal for 2013 fall season.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: First wingbone call attempt

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 am

8-)
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: First wingbone call attempt

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 am

I might have to try this myself sometime.

I've been sending my wing bones to a guy that makes calls out of them. I figure why let them go to waste and he donates calls to charity/fund raising events and as prizes in forum competitions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”