Welcome to "Sam's Place"

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tadmdad
500 Club

Welcome to "Sam's Place"

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 am

Know I've been MIA for awhile on the forum. But this road warrior gig has been keeping me on the go for several months, getting a little over the top. Constantly wearing a fireman's hat, atleast I have a couple local job offers, that I can sleep in my own bed everynight, probably take one of the offers and life may get back to normal, whatever that is. :lol:

Fortunately have squeezed in a couple turkey hunts. Last weekend was a 4-day hunt to a friend of ours that has a working diary farm in the Central U.P. with 3 of my buddies. We have been doing this hunt for 18-19 years now, and it wasn't a option to miss this hunt. We call this a hunt, but it is more like visiting family and spend time together in camp.

The daily routine is hunt mornings and evenings and chores around the farm during the day, as there is always things that need to be done around the farm, and dinner and a FEW to many beverages in camp at night, good times in camp.

We roost a nice group of birds one evening with a very good tom, point out to one of my buddies where these birds exited the field and he should setup the next morning at a specific tree next to a group of rock. So zero dark 30 the next morning, I drop him off for the setup. So where does he setup? 75 yards short of where we talked about. And where do the birds come out? Right next to the rocks they entered the night before. :whistle: My buddies tells me that he call to the birds, they answered a couple of times, and ran like crazy to the other end of the field. Your really have to hear his turkey calling ability to appreciate what I'm talking about, let's say he's challenged and he sounds nothing like a turkey, need to take those calls away from him one of these days before he educates every turkey in the county. ;)

the setup.....turkeys never seen again in this field

Chores around the farm, one day we cut cedar posts and set a fenceline. Another day we went into the fairgrounds to pickup some straw for the farm, did a a couple of dirt track laps U.P. style before we left....yeee haaaa.

We actually managed to kill a couple of birds dispite the weather with snow and high winds.

I called in 3 longbeards one evening from across a big field, they answered my first call, and they came running from 300 yards with the second call, thought they were going to run me over.

Called this one in for my buddy Saturday afternoon, we worked in 4 longbeards and he killed this one on the farm, 15 yard shot, this time I told him to leave his calls in the truck. :lol:

We all go into town for prime rib dinner on Saturday evening, a good meal, a couple of cold ones and to many laughs, we head back to the farm. When we get back to the farm, our buddy the farmer says to me "that he needs to go out to the barn to check on one of his heifer's and she is going to deliver a calf any time", so I join him. When we get to the barn, this heifer is in labor, and we can both tell something is wrong. The calf is breach, and the heifer is struggling, and after almost 4 hours we deliver a healthy calf. So I guess now I qualify now as a " cow midwife" :lol:

Sunday morning we wakeup in camp, it's mother's day morning, and is the first time that I can't call my mother and wish her "happy mother's day" after she passed a couple months ago, just seems like something isn't right with that. But I keep thinking about that calf, head to the barn to check the heifer and calf are doing fine, my buddy is doing chores, and I ask him what time did we deliver that calf? He says, " it must have been around midnight". Then it hits me, this was a sign, my mother was such a kind and compassionate person, and this was her way af saying things were alright.
Everything in life happens for a reason, nothing is random, we are always being given signs, the question is......are we listening.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Welcome to "Sam's Place"

Unread postby PK_ » Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 am

What is a Diary Farm???

:D

Nice write up, glad you could find the time to make it out and make some memories. Thanks for sharing.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 am

Great story Tad... I think Im going to go visit my mother today. 8-)
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon May 20, 2013 2:15 am

dan wrote:Great story Tad... I think Im going to go visit my mother today. 8-)

That's the right call, Dan......the busier we all get, the harder it becomes at times to pay attention to the things that are important.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 am

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! Congrats on a great hunt...and I too am going to drive over to my moms for a visit this afternoon
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 am

:clap:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 20, 2013 5:17 am

Very nice.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:What is a Diary Farm???

:D

Nice write up, glad you could find the time to make it out and make some memories. Thanks for sharing.

Now that is funny.......guess with my typing and spelling ability, it could have been a diarrhea farm. :lol:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 am

8-)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue May 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Good stuff tad. When you go to town UP there, what town. You near Cooks or Manistique?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Good stuff tad. When you go to town UP there, what town. You near Cooks or Manistique?

Thanks Lou, our buddies farm is outside of Powers/Hermansville so that where we go for eats and refreshments. The picture of the truck loaded with straw was at the fairgrounds in Escanaba. Have you and Big Daddy gotten to do your hunt together?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 am

Awesome story Tony........cool looking place
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 am

Tadmdad wrote: We have been doing this hunt for 18-19 years now, and it wasn't a option to miss this hunt. We call this a hunt, but it is more like visiting family and spend time together in camp.

Life is good when the priorities are right- 8-)
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 am

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:Awesome story Tony........cool looking place

Thanks Andy......we need to do one of these traveling hunts together one of these days.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”