"Fanning" them in

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

"Fanning" them in

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 am

I have several buddies who dry out a gobbler fan, mount it on a stick, and sneak up on birds in fields with it. The idea is to get as close to the bird as you can out of their sight then yelp a few times and raise the fan up like a gobbler displaying. Many times this is enough to get the birds to think you're a gobbler and you can keep the fan between you and them and slowly crawl towards them behind the fan. Get close enough and shoot the bird.

Most people do this with a gun, on private land, and stay in the middle of fields and away from timber edges. Naturally this is because you dont' want to get shot by other hunters. A few of my buddies have started doing this with bows and thus far the verdict is that it's a rush. When it works they're getting 7-15 yards from birds and then shoot them as they break the cover of the fan.

I admit it's not an old tactic, it's also not a good idea to use this technique in timber or on public land, but I made my own fan and can't wait to try and stalk a few gobblers this weekend on my private farms well out into the middle of the fields!!

I also think that when I cover the back side of the decoy with feathers I can use it as a strutter decoy instead of carrying that heavier full body mount strutter decoy.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: "Fanning" them in

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

I have thought about that myself but never tried it... I would make extra sure your not stalking decoys.
E72
500 Club

Re: "Fanning" them in

Unread postby E72 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 am

I would love to try that . Im sure it is a rush but even on private land Id be nervous as h--l. :shock: Takes one trespassing moron to ruin your day or worse.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”