Public Land Turkey Hunting & Disrespectful "Hunters"

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Public Land Turkey Hunting & Disrespectful "Hunters"

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:02 am

Today was opening day in MD. The weather was rain and cloudy this morning. We went to a favorite spot of mine and didnt hear a bird. Get some breakfast and try so more ground... no luck.

Our quiting time here is 12PM. I go past a public spot thats a small strip of woods bordered by a creek/pond on 1 side and a large river on the other and goes out into a point. Its a small tract and not much room or birds for more than a person. Since I saw no cars and no tracks I decided to try my last hour close to home as I had to leave for work after quitting time. I creep down the river until I get to where I think birds should be. Some ridges and bottoms and strike a bird.

Long story short I worked him on 3 sets for almost an hour and some "hunter" parks beside me and stalks my calling and bumps the gobbler Ive been working. I had finally got him within 75-80 yards.

That guy is lucky he has windows in his car and I let him know how I felt. There must be 6+ parking spots and more public land to hunt... yet he chased me on a strip of woods and ruined my opening day.

Ive had this happen before... why do people try to sneak in on a real hunter calling and a gobbler obviusly repsonding and traveling towards the hunter set up?

If I see a truck at a spot, I move on. Theres plenty of places and they all have birds... yet this guys comes in after 11am... stalks me and bumps bird at 12PM which is MD quitting time.

I killed 1 in VA and missed another, but its important to me to get a bird in my home state/home town. I just cant understand why anyone would think for 1 stalking a turkey would work and 2 slippin in on someone would be safe/ethical. Im pretty pizzed as I took off work and worked really hard to find a gobbling bird where no one was at.

Oh well... just ranting I guess.
Last edited by Brandon on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can't kill em on the couch
Brandon
500 Club

Re: Public Land Turkey Hunting & Disrespectful "Hunters"

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 am

from hunter-ed.com..

"Don't Stalk Turkeys! Most turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another. Don’t stalk turkeys! It doesn’t work and it’s dangerous."
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 am

Brandon wrote:from hunter-ed.com..

"Don't Stalk Turkeys! Most turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another. Don’t stalk turkeys! It doesn’t work and it’s dangerous."

You got that right.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 am

X3

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm

My guess is he was stalking what he thought was a turkey. Probably couldn't tell the difference between a guy calling and an actual turkey. Don't stalk turkeys and leave a spot if it has a car there and find another spot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 pm

I am with you. Usually if I see cars in the lot of a smaller piece of public, I move on.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm

"Don't Stalk Turkeys! Most turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another. Don’t stalk turkeys! [glow=red]It doesn’t work[/glow] and it’s dangerous."

works great :? you have to be pretty dumb to mistake a turkey hunter calling as a hen to a real hen ...i don't know if you guys pay attention but some of these guys calls sound like a dieing turkey :lol: and i don't stalk hens only gobblers ..ALL gobble callers ive seen played with or heard sound like crap!!!!!! THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A REAL TURKEY GOBBLE!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
brink

Unread postby brink » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:30 am

and i don't stalk hens only gobblers

I am new to turkey hunting but I tend to agree with Bighunt...
Whatever is Clever.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:49 am

Knute78 wrote:My guess is he was stalking what he thought was a turkey. Probably couldn't tell the difference between a guy calling and an actual turkey. Don't stalk turkeys and leave a spot if it has a car there and find another spot.

You dont understand.... this is a strip of woods bordered by watter on both sides. He see's a truck... and heres a turkey gobbling. What is he gobbling at? MY HEN CALLS! Its only 200 yards wide.. at the most.

You do NOT stalk turkeys on public land... hen or gobbler. You locate, setup, and try to call him in like ANY self respecting tureky hunter.

If you think you can just walk up to a gobbler in hardwoods and shoot him you are sadly mistaken.

This was no mistake... he didnt care and thats my point. There was no reason for this to happen and and there is no way that it would have worked.
Last edited by Brandon on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:50 am

brink wrote:

You have a lot to learn about turkey hunting. Try not to get shot stalking birds... and at the very least make sure its not illegal in your state as it is in many.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 am

BigHunt wrote:

"Don't Stalk Turkeys! Most turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another. Don’t stalk turkeys! [glow=red]It doesn’t work[/glow] and it’s dangerous."

works great :? you have to be pretty dumb to mistake a turkey hunter calling as a hen to a real hen ...i don't know if you guys pay attention but some of these guys calls sound like a dieing turkey :lol: and i don't stalk hens only gobblers ..ALL gobble callers ive seen played with or heard sound like crap!!!!!! THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A REAL TURKEY GOBBLE!

WOW. :roll:
brink

Unread postby brink » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 am

You have a lot to learn about turkey hunting. Try not to get shot stalking birds... and at the very least make sure its not illegal in your state as it is in many.

Hey man, I meant no disrespect. Take er easy. I wasn't the one parked next to you...
Whatever is Clever.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:25 am

Believe it or not there are highly uneducated hunters everywhere and it's just part of hunting on public land.

I had a guy stalk me once when I was using a grunt call from my tree stand. Never had a clue I was right above him as he stood at the base of my tree! :roll:

trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:31 am

Brandon wrote:
brink wrote:

Yeah he does have a lot to learn about turkey hunting, and how to move and stalk a turkey is one of those things. I have killed multiple birds on spot and stalk hunts. Knowing the lay of the land, the habitat, and the strut zones can make stalking birds relatively easy. Id almost say slipping a bird strutting is easier than calling one in on the right day. I can assure you that he wont get shot stalking a bird on the ground we hunt.

I think you just have your panties in a bunch because some moron cost you a bird, although hunting public ground you have to expect that from time to time. He has just as much right to be on that chunk as you. Is it the moral or ethical thing to do on public ground? NO it isn't, but dont go around belittling other hunters just because one ruined your day.

Better luck next time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 am

Brandon wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

WOW. :roll:

just saying! to each there own.... :mrgreen: hunt how you will ...ive killed more toms stalking then just sitting around hoping a turkey will walk by!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”