My attempt at a longbow Gobbler

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

My attempt at a longbow Gobbler

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4hQ5QQ4Io

Well I watched three toms roost on tuesday night and knew right where to set up wed morning, the weather was poor but when you know right where three big birds are roosted its hard to stay in bed. Ended up getting two shots off, one a little over 20 yards at a tom and the second shot within 15 yards at a jake. It was my first time attempting to shoot at game with traditional archery equipment and the string ended up slapping my arm on both shots causing both shots to fly low. Learnin the hard way out there!! Anyhow I have some different birds lined up now and I'm not about to break out the shotgun just yet!!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
PLB
500 Club

Re: My attempt at a longbow Gobbler

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:02 am

Cool video!! I give you tons of credit chasing them with Trad gear!! Good luck!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 am

Keep at it bud. It took me a long time to pull it off with a longbow but the feeling of satisfaction is worth it when you finally do it.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks for watching! I wish the go pro camera had a zoom feature so that you could see the birds closer up but its still pretty cool.
It was a thrill slinging arrows at them with the stick n strung

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Cool video, just out of curiosity what is a good baseline long bow to get started with? And Arrows?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 am

mt008 wrote:Cool video, just out of curiosity what is a good baseline long bow to get started with? And Arrows?

My longbow was given to me, but i am considering buying a bow from Kevin TerMaat. Heck of a nice guy, let me shoot a couple of his bows, and his bows shoot slicker than spit. His website is www.rerbows.com

I used some aluminum arrows that i no longer was using with my compound. I would say that it doesn't really matter what arrows you use, i have practiced with carbon before too. But what does matter is that you use real feather fletching and not plastic vanes because using no arrow rest your fletching comes in contact with your hand.

If you want some real advice, ask some of the others on here, im fairly new to this too.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 am

There are so many good bows out there now that it boils down to personal preference. Join www.tradgang.com for lots of good answers to any question. The best traditional bowhunters in the nation frequent that site. Arrow material does not matter much but arrow spine matters big time. I have seen many new comers that get frustrated because they can't hit anything. A lot of times they have good form but they are shooting arrows that are not tuned correctly. It takes more work to tune an arrow for a traditional bow than a compound. The biggest mistake people make is starting with a bow that is too heavy. Trust me on this. Start with 40lbs. You will thank me later! Learn good shooting with a bow you can handle and then move up in weight if you want but for whitetails you don't need too if you don't want. I've killed lots of deer with bows in the 40 lb range. And yes I get complete passthroughs with heavy arrows and super sharp broadheads. Good luck guys!

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Awesome! thanks for the info guys

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 am

jonsimoneau wrote:The biggest mistake people make is starting with a bow that is too heavy. Trust me on this. Start with 40lbs. You will thank me later! Learn good shooting with a bow you can handle and then move up in weight if you want but for whitetails you don't need too if you don't want. I've killed lots of deer with bows in the 40 lb range. And yes I get complete passthroughs with heavy arrows and super sharp broadheads. Good luck guys!

True dat, my bow was given to me so i had no choice but it is 50 lb draw and i can tell its too much. Hard to anchor and aim, altough getting better as i develop the different muscle. And i shoot 70 lb draw with a compound.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:06 am

Cool video.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:42 am

Oh yea. 50 lbs is doable for most guys. I'm not real strong so I normally hunt with 53 lbs. and it does the job just fine. Like you said as you shoot it you will quickly be able to handle it better.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:50 am

Can you make it any harded, lol. I though with my blind and recurve was tough, you get that done and your the man.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am

Great video! Thatd be super hard to pull off, hope you can do it!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:31 am

Hunter mike, good luck with the trad bow. I've attempted to with a bow several times with no blind. Took my compound out on Ohios opener Monday and had a gobbler strutting to my right , 20 -30 yards for over an hour. He wouldn't move in to the decoy and I had to twist my body to get into position for a shot . A group of thick Multi flora rose bush helped me move but in the end it was my downfall when I tried sneaking an arrow through an opening between the bush and a small oak tree. It was an awesome hunt and feel like getting the shot off was a victory . Keep at it , i think it can only make you a better hunter. :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”