Western Kentucky Guys

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trdtnlbwhntr

Western Kentucky Guys

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm

We are headed down on Friday early to try and get a quick scout in before the Saturday opener. Im chomping at the bit to get in the woods again.

Are you guys noticing birds in the fields strutting? Are they broken up yet or still in flocks? I have found that when they start to strut solo, without other male birds around thats when the hunting is at its best. Just wondering what you guys are seeing out and about. Hopefully things are a lot greener than they are here in Northern Indiana.

Thanks
Dustin

Uncle Lou

Re: Western Kentucky Guys

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:01 am

I just drove through Kentucky on Sunday morning. I looked in every field I drove by on I-75 and never saw a turkey. My wife saw a few sitting on barns. As far as green up it was starting but I don't think they are mowing their lawns yet.

Hopefully Southern Man can get you a better report I wasn't really in Western KY.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 am

2 weeks ago you'd see toms grouped up and no hens or hens and no toms. But the weather has been really cold. There hasn't been alot goin on in the fields around here. The last week & a half we've had temps in the high 60's and 70's and starting to see more interest in the girls. Deer scouting last Saturday we found a bunch of sign in the woods and practically nothing in the fields, I contribute that to the cold we've been havin. My son got some trail cam pics of a single gobbler struttin with some hens on the 7th. I'm expecting this weekend and next week to be good.

Lou, if you're ever on this end of the state you need to give me a holler. Nice country along I-75 aye?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:37 am

The ground we are on is mostly pasture/alfalfa fields off of bluffs and steep hills. Hopefully this warmer weather that is predicted for the next few days will get them heading for the fields to strut and pick for bugs and what not. I am a little concerned that we are a week or so behind schedule as far as activity goes. I think the cold weather has really thrown them for a loop this late into the year.

Up here we are just starting to see the flocks out in fields. Just this morning I had 4 toms strutting with 7 hens all together and at a different place we had 2 toms strutting with 14 hens in an open field. So the Indiana season should be good to go, Im just concerned that we may be a tad early for the Kentucky season.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 am

trdtnlbwhntr wrote: Im just concerned that we may be a tad early for the Kentucky season.

Talkin to one of the biologists at LBL, he said they seem to be runnin about 2 weeks behind where they normally are this time of year. Stiill, the warmer weather should get the ball rollin.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Southern Man wrote:2
Lou, if you're ever on this end of the state you need to give me a holler. Nice country along I-75 aye?

Very nice to drive through KY, lots of good things in your state, especially Louisville (Don't tell Singingbridge I said that)

Will do, when I get near your end of the state, maybe I need to plan a trip that way.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 am

We got back last night from our trip. What an exhausting hunt both mentally and physically.

The area we hunt is a massive ridge top with open cow pasture on top, and a big giant bluff down one side of it. Obviously the birds roost all along that bluff. However, unlike years past they were pitching into the side of it and walking downhill into the woods. They would stay in the woods for the entire day. We managed to call in several jakes as they were the only ones on the move. The Toms appeared to be still flocked up with hens and not actually responding to the call much. We never saw a hen cross an open field to get to a nest sight. This is an activity we have observed over the years on that farm with great regularity.

The hunt was tough, trying to circle below the birds, in rough bluff country, with absolutely zero foliage to help hide you from a bird on the roost was next to impossible. I think the last week of the Kentucky season will be comparable to the first week of years past. Best of luck to you guys down there.

Dustin

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”