lets here about some of your turkey tactics

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigbuck28

Re: lets here about some of your turkey tactics

Unread postby Bigbuck28 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:40 am

I prefer to drive around at first light.. I want to know where the birds are roosting and what they do when they fly down. You can also drive to a location with a coffee and just listen to hear them gobble. Around here they roost pretty much in the same set of trees every night. Return in the PM to watch them pitch up. Once you know where there sleeping slide in around 75 yards from em and call softly and not too much....Thats how i smoke alot of my birds.

Sounds kind of like dans approach on bucks knowing where they bed.....Now if i could only find where a buck beds.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Bringing this thread back to life:

I Killed my biggest tom in 5th Season in WI. Probobly the oldest one I will ever kill. Just under 2 inch spurs. I literally drove out to the farm watched where him and his hens walked to on their routine, which was the same two days in a row. The next day my brother and I setup where they went and didnt call at all and killed him. My brother was with and had his bow but he wanted me to shoot him. Out of bow range.

Its all about scouting for me and patterning them.

I also have very poor succes on first light/early morning roost hunting.

I call for many people in my family and friends which is a great blessing in itself. Learned a TON doing this. But what I have learned is the best time to kill a Tom is 10am-2pm no question. I think this is because the hens are on their nests. This is also dependent on which season you are hunting. Works best in 2nd-4th season in Wisconsin.

I have killed, or witnessed by calling, 11 turkeys killed from 10am-11am in the past 7 years.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 am

Drive around, find the biggest amount of toms around, get permission to hunt, follow them around and watch from a distance in the afternoon and try to see the exact spot they roost, Get out there super early the next morning, stalk in and set up as close as possible without spooking them, set up a lone hen decoy where the tom will be able to see it from a distance, don't over call, but try to get their attention before the other hens do.

My turkey routine is very similar to how dan hunts buck beds. I hunt turkey roosts. Thats why I was so jacked up when I first learned about buck beds.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”