Who bow hunts turkeys without a blind?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Who bow hunts turkeys without a blind?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 am

I have a friend here in Mi who has killed a few jakes with his trad bow just standing by a tree. Anybody have luck trying to just keep still and shoot turkeys with a bow? A blind is cool, but I like the freedom to move. When I say blind, I mean a pop up enclosure. If you use something like netting that is quick and easy to set up, Id like to hear about it and or see pics.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Re: Who bow hunts turkeys without a blind?

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 am

ive done it...its hard in early season with out greens...havent been successful on it though :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 am

I do when I am running and gunning... But I usually use the gun rather than the bow.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 am

ive shot some jakes and hens when i was bowhunting in the fall out of my stand ...does that count :think: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:09 am

I chased'em around a couple times in the fall with my xbow without a blind. One day even got some shots off creeping around behind a flock, yeh more than one shot hate to admit it. But youre probably not talking xbows, I know how you feel about those.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:12 am

Takes the right set up but I have done it. Late season when the undergrowth is green works A lot better than early season. I put the sneak on a good Tom a few years ago. I had an old logging road to move on the Tom was in a bean field.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 am

one of my most memorable turkeys hunts was when i was 14 and able to hunt by my self..it was my first spring to my self and test my skills that i learned from my grandpa and uncles...it was the 6th season in western Wisconsin and it was lush and green. on the first mourning i didnt know were to start so i just walked out the back door of the cabin and listen for gobbling. with in no time the ridges came alive and i was off. the first mourning i found myself up on top of the bluff over looking a lush alfalfa field. there was a lone tom sounding off on the roost. his gobble was like thunder and echoed through the valleys. with my bow , i snuck up as close as i could to the old tom and started calling...he flew down just out of range. he strutted back and fourth putting on one of the greatest shows ive every seen! spitting drumming and gobbling the whole time. he never did come in to bow range witch for me at the time was only a whopping 10 yards. i was on a mission to get this turkey i told the guys back at camp as they all laughed at me :lol: he gave me the slip all season. he would roost in one spot, so the next mourning i would have it planned that he would be there and hes not! hes 200 yards down. so the next mourning i would sit down there and he was were i was the day before :roll: so playing cat and mouse with him....anyway, finally the last mourning i knew where he was because i saw him fly up the night before...back then we could only hunt till 5pm i think :think: or was it noon? i cant remember. i liked staying out there and watching the birds to see where they roost. that mourning was like magic, he gobbled to my every call strutting in the tree blending the limb. he flew down straight at me. i was set up against this tree with a bush in front of me, the plan was to use the bush as cover so when he cam in, i could draw my bow with out him seeing me. at this time i knew he was coming in . my body started to shake uncontrollably and i couldn't help it ! first his tall fan popped up over the horizon. then the head, and finnily the turkey! he strutted the whole way in. when he finally got into range i was so rattled that i could even pull my bow back and watched him walk out of my dreams :cry: :lol: the rush that i had in that point in time and that feeling i had was unexplainable and only hunters will know what im talking about...i feel sorry for those that dont have hunting or fishing in there life! i learned alot that season and will never forget it.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 am

Good story Tyler.

Did everyone see Three dog in dans Extreme Turkey video hunt them in a Gillie suit on the ground without a blind? Pretty cool footage.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Killed many with no blind and a compund, last spring I statred using a recurve and it was rough without a blind. Got one in the blind, but this year I will try agian. My new recurve is shorter so, that should help. Plus in KS ealry spring there is not much cover to hide in.

If you can them to decoy it make it much easier to do it without a blind.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 am

I'm going to try it this year. Using a longbow too. I haven't tried it before. My theory is that besides the limited range and accuracy you get from the longbow, it should be easier and quicker to draw and aim than a compound, especially since it will more than likely be a running shot at the bird. I will let yall know how that goes for me lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bigbuck28

Unread postby Bigbuck28 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

Do it all the time. The key is just having either a hen decoy or a few targe trees. With the decoy get him to commit and when his head is blocked from his fan draw your bow and anchor in.
If no decoy you have to use the tree as your blocker....KEEP DRAWING EVEN IF HE PUTS AND MAKES YOU. is the advice i can give you without a decoy...Even if he catches movement get anchored in still. He'll usually just walk away putting but once your anchored in let it fly.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 am

My first year I tried with a bow and no blind. I got a shot off at a jake but missed. My strategy at that time was walking on the hillsides scouting for deer at midday because I had semi-given up on turkeys for the day. :D Then I heard clucking on top of the ridge, and snuck up the hill until I could see their heads. Got a little closer and shot. This year I picked up a ground blind on eBay. With the camera, it'll just be a lot easier to use and get footage I think.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 am

I dedicated a couple days to it last year. Could have shot hens but no gobblers.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 am

When I have a cameraman i use some camo fabric attach it to some fiberglass fenceposts (for tape style electric cattle fencing) and use a low chair to keep me off the ground and allow me to draw easier. If I am trying to self video I always use a blind because I have to make so much more movement lining up the camera and then getting to full draw to get off the shot.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 am

I try and at least get one or two each year without the use of a blind or decoys with the stick and string.

Here is one I got a couple years back:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13756&hilit=+gobbler

I tried opening weekend here already this spring, but cant seem to get the chickens to make a sound to start the game off. They are not using the fields much here either, so glass scouting isnt getting it done either.

I did manage to get on the board yesterday, but it was with some heavy shot!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”