Zink Avian X Strutter quick review

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trdtnlbwhntr

Zink Avian X Strutter quick review

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:14 am

After being back ordered for close to two months I finally got my decoy in the mail. Anticipation was high, and so were my hopes.

In some aspects the decoy didnt let me down, but there were a few areas that left me wanting a little more from the company.

~Paint- This decoy is on par with the other turkey decoys from the Avian X line. The head is fantastic in color, a little wide as far as shape goes, but thats a different story. The attention to feather detail is spot on in most regards, with the pinnacle being in the raised back feathers just before the fan. The realism in that portion of the decoy is unmatched in any other strutter I have seen in this price range. (119.99)

~Size- They specifically made this decoy about 15% smaller than a normal turkey. In the photos below you can see just how small it really is. Its not too small its perfect in my mind. The DSD strutter is a giant compared to this thing. I would say it is 30% smaller than a pretty boy decoy as well. As with the Avian X line they are a bit "bloated" in shape. In a strutter thats not as noticeable. The fan in the pictures below is from a hen I found dead on the side of the road so that gives you an idea of its stature.

~Complaints- The area where they attached the fan mounting bracket needs cleaned up. It is a plastic piece glued to a flat spot on the decoy. Production was way behind on these decoys and I am sure that has some impact on the quality that gets shipped out the door. I feel like the glue could have been cleaned up a bit and made to look a little neater. I dont think it is a mechanical issue with the decoy just an aesthetic imperfection. I also have some areas on the but feathers that have chipped paint on them. Just small areas, but for 150 bucks after shipping and tax I'd like it to be clean and neat. If anything is going to be messy I prefer I be the one to put the first dings and what not in it. The mounting system itself is pretty slick and I really have no complaints there.
The last complaint I have is, its kind of heavy. I wish they would have manufactured a longer stake for the decoy. That way you could sink it into soft ground a little further to give it a little extra hold.
The glue (along the bottom of the mounting bracket)
The chipped paint
Size
Overall
Wide head

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”