Help with set up.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

monster6

Help with set up.

Unread postby monster6 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Hello there fellas. I have been hunting for turkeys for the last 3 years with my bow and no luck. I'm planning to bring out the shot gun thiis year but have no clue of what choke/shell to use. Does any of you guys have any preferences on what's your combo? I have a Remington model 870, if that helps.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Brad

Re: Help with set up.

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I have used an 870 before and it liked a cheap star dot choke in extra full the best, but even then it didnt pattern great. I got fed up with it and bought a mossburg 500 and she is twice she turkey gun the 870 was, I shoot a winchester supreme 3" 2 ounce load of #6's with a simmons prodiamond scope and a primos jelly head choke tube (super full I think) and i have killed out to 50-55 yards with ease, though I don't like to shoot any farther than 40 unless I have too. Some guns shoot better farther out, some are better in close, but for non heavy shot thats pushing it because the 6 shot loses a lot of velocity and power at that range. It was in a cut cornfield and I did not realise it was that far or I would not have shot, but it did do the job (with the help of my trusty snug lok :mrgreen: ).

Try different chokes and load combo's, my dad has an 870 that loves 5's and 6's with a remington factory turkey choke in extra full and it has killed a boat load of turkeys at all ranges.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm

I shoot a Remington 870 pump. I use Federal number 5 shot turkey loads with an undertaker choke. That's all I've used since 2002 with no problems. I would try various load and choke combos and see what patterns best out of your gun..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 pm

I shoot a mossburg tactical 535 with x factor turkey choke, its a x-x-full .670. Then I run Remington nitro turkey 3.5 inch loads. Its a 26 inch barrel which I like for manuverability. She will dirt-nap turkeys up to 70 yards if needed with this combo. Only thing is that combo really barks when you touch her off so hold on LOL.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 pm

3 inch also. Sorry...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 pm

I have also had good luck with federal premium loads in 2oz 6 shot 3.5

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:39 pm

monster6 wrote:Hello there fellas. I have been hunting for turkeys for the last 3 years with my bow and no luck. I'm planning to bring out the shot gun thiis year but have no clue of what choke/shell to use. Does any of you guys have any preferences on what's your combo? I have a Remington model 870, if that helps.

Ive used, full, super full, modified. Used many different 3" and 3 1/2" shell from 4 to 6 shot, federal, win, rem. When I take a youth I give'em my 16 ga. single with 2 3/4" 6 shot (just a high brass game load). They all work, my nephew dumped one in its tracks with the 16 ga recipe at 40 yds. Got a friend in the UP said he shot one with a 12 ga using low brass 2 3/4" 6 shot at 70 yds.

My prefered load is 3 1/2" 12 ga H&R single shot with a TK II choke (think its super full) I throw a volleyball pattern around 60 yds and it's deadly. Kicks on both ends

They all work, Have fun trying some different loads. Shootem and eatem
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 pm

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:I shoot a mossburg tactical 535 with x factor turkey choke, its a x-x-full .670. Then I run Remington nitro turkey 3.5 inch loads. Its a 26 inch barrel which I like for manuverability. She will dirt-nap turkeys up to 70 yards if needed with this combo. Only thing is that combo really barks when you touch her off so hold on LOL.

Holy crap dude! Bark isn't the word for it.
I thought I was bad using an Ithica model 87 featherlite with a supper full and a 3" magnum!

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
monster6 wrote:Hello there fellas. I have been hunting for turkeys for the last 3 years with my bow and no luck. I'm planning to bring out the shot gun thiis year but have no clue of what choke/shell to use. Does any of you guys have any preferences on what's your combo? I have a Remington model 870, if that helps.

Ive used, full, super full, modified. Used many different 3" and 3 1/2" shell from 4 to 6 shot, federal, win, rem. When I take a youth I give'em my 16 ga. single with 2 3/4" 6 shot (just a high brass game load). They all work, my nephew dumped one in its tracks with the 16 ga recipe at 40 yds. Got a friend in the UP said he shot one with a 12 ga using low brass 2 3/4" 6 shot at 70 yds.

My prefered load is 3 1/2" 12 ga H&R single shot with a TK II choke (think its super full) I throw a volleyball pattern around 60 yds and it's deadly. Kicks on both ends

You are a glutton for punishment ..........3.5 inch shells with a single shot......ouch :lol:

trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Remington 1100 with a 30" Hastings wadlock barrel tipped with a .665 hastings choke tube.

The 1100 will only shoot 2 3/4" shells and I have found the Kent Ultimate Turkey load is what this gun loves to shoot. Its has tru-glo open sights on it and can easily kill them at 50 yards all day long.

Last year that mixture killed 8 turkeys in the spring.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm

ive been personally been turkey hunting for 14 years know and have learned alot about ammo and what shoots good and what dosent out of "MY" turkey guns. i have a 12 gauge mossberg 835 3 1/2 inch mag...
also a 12 gauge 870 express mag 3 inch
and then a 20 gauge 870 express 3 inch
i believe the smaller the bb the better the patterning of the shot. #5 and up...# 4s pattern like dirt! all over the place. i use a extra full choke or extreme full choke.....that really reaches out there and pokes them with the right load for your gun . these past three years ive been hooked on hevi-shot. the ammo is deadly with proven results out to ridiculous ranges along with the hevi-shot choke! the loads i get are mixed loads with #5#6#7 BBs i also shoot the #6s.... lease loads pattern great out to 50 yards plus. one of the birds i shot last year was at 53 yards! here are some paper targets from sighting in with hevi-shot

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm

BigHunt wrote:ive been personally been turkey hunting for 14 years know and have learned alot about ammo and what shoots good and what dosent out of "MY" turkey guns. i have a 12 gauge mossberg 835 3 1/2 inch mag...
also a 12 gauge 870 express mag 3 inch
and then a 20 gauge 870 express 3 inch
i believe the smaller the bb the better the patterning of the shot. #5 and up...# 4s pattern like dirt! all over the place. i use a extra full choke or extreme full choke.....that really reaches out there and pokes them with the right load for your gun . these past three years ive been hooked on hevi-shot. the ammo is deadly with proven results out to ridiculous ranges along with the hevi-shot choke! the loads i get are mixed loads with #5#6#7 BBs i also shoot the #6s.... lease loads pattern great out to 50 yards plus. one of the birds i shot last year was at 53 yards! here are some paper targets from sighting in with hevi-shot

If I decide to take the shotgun out this year I am gonna try some heavyshot and their tube. That pattern is absolutely devastating, looks about like throwing a string trimmer out there at them, they have no chance.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:31 am

[bbvideo=425,350]http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4027/4713234508_04175b9228_m.jpg[/bbvideo]

Stick with a bow.....just kidding...
RJR-007
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:31 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:
monster6 wrote:My prefered load is 3 1/2" 12 ga H&R single shot with a TK II choke (think its super full) I throw a volleyball pattern around 60 yds and it's deadly. Kicks on both ends

You are a glutton for punishment ..........3.5 inch shells with a single shot......ouch :lol:

No kidding, you remember this one, I just came across it deep in photobucket looking for something else.

I was caught out of position with a bird to far left and couldn't move after I got the gun right on my right bicep. I knew it was going to hurt but pulled the trigger regardless. But even though I suffered a bruise, I got to show it off and proudly say "you shoulda seen the other guy" which of course was the tom that I pollaxed at about 50yds. The pic was taken the day of the shot, it grew abit and turned green and black. Image
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:05 am

Your lucky you didn't break your arm lou... My older brother Pete took a bet and fired both barrels of an old antique double barrel shotgun at once and dislocated his shoulder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”