Turkey Calls... your favortie?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Turkey Calls... your favortie?

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 am

I know most of your guys dont/cant hunt turkeys much because of your states laws, but tell me some of your favorite turkey calls AND locator calls.

I love locator calls... they help find a bird before trying to call him in. The 2 best hands down that I use and love are: 1. Darrel Gibson Crow call and 2. Hooks James Harrison Hoot N Stick.

Both of these are custom calls made and designed by champion callers. Easy to use and sound 100% authentic. I have both in walnut.

My other goto call is a custom walnut box call from a guy in VA.. sounds great. Ordering a David Halloran box call soon, and I REALLY want the DND Haint Gobble call. That thing sounds all turkey...

Anyone have any expierence with a hawk screamer? Looking at either Mallardtone or Woodhaven hawk call to finish off my locator call assortment. All of these are barrel calls and will be on a lanyard this spring!

Its nice to have the best of the best when the best isnt to expensive... no more plastic cheap sounding calls from walmart for me in the past couple of years.

Just like to see what other serious turkey hunters use, and why.

You can't kill em on the couch
Spysar
500 Club

Re: Turkey Calls... your favortie?

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am

I have all kinds of custom calls. Nothing beats the simple diaphram. Hands down. And my locator of choice is the Palmers Hoot tube for the early morning, and then a crow call for daylight time. I"ve tried it all, but the simplest things work best for me.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 am

I love the HS diaphragm calls. I really only use diaphragms. For locator calls I like the Quaker Boy owl hooter in the dark of early morning and the MAD crow call during the day.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 am

Good info guys. Spy... it was a toss up between the Palmers and Harrison hooters.... this video sold me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_djxF2ntk

For years all I used was a crow call... but last season, for some reason in my area the birds wouldnt shock to crow calls or real crows? not sure why... but we have AlOT of crows around... maybe thats why?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:42 am

:lol: i dont know about all of this custom stuff but yea i have alot of calls that work just fine! as like you, i love to locate them and i have my selection of locator calls ...i have two owl hooters, the one is HS limb-shaker , and the other is a primos...two calls for a reason , one is high toned for long distance or windy days, and the other is low toned for calm and quiet days. also some turkeys respond to different tones and frequencys, so some times i use both to get them going.

another locator call i use is a very high pitched brass whistle. yes may sound far fetched but it dose wonders!!!! it hits that frequency that just drives them nutts!!

another locator call i love to use is my coyote howler( mad calls cherry bomb)...you can strike birds as far as you can hear! even work great up close. when traveling around scouting public land i hunt trying to locate birds, the second call to sound off is my howler.

another locator call i like to use is a crow call. i bought it years ago at hardware hank and its the best crow call ive heard so far. i hear alot of calls and i mess around with a lot of calls and this call is way different then any thing ive heard ...i cant remember what brand it is. its been so long ...works great late mourning into mid day, especially in late season when gobblers are roaming around looking for some tail. its also a good call when your on to a bird and can hear him gobbling off in the distance . i see alot of guys make the mistake of calling with a hen call as there walking at the gobbler telling him that the hen is coming to him. then they dont come in!! im guilty as well and have learned my lesson the hard way! so i use my crow call to keep him going. sneak up,surprise him with some soft yeps and he most likely is going to come running right in .

my last call in my bags of magic pixi is my hawk screamer! took me awhile to learn how to use it ..IT TAKES A LOT OF AIR :lol: i rarely us it unless i hear a hawk scream and its making a bird gobble , then i use it to my advantage .

ok on to my turkey calls!
Again no fancy custom stuff . i love using my slate calls i have sevral calls with differnt tones picthes and freqencys..
also i love using my box calls. most are durry mad calls i have a few HS
i use some mouth calls but not many.
i allways try and set up as close as possible to the bird .....some times all it takes is two or three clucks and they fly down and walk right in. im aggressive when i need to be and soft when i need to be and some times it pays to just shut up all together :lol:
Last edited by BigHunt on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:47 am

1st... what hawk screamer do you use? does it sound authentic? or does it just work?

2nd.. "putts" are alarm calls and aint no turkey coming to those! you prob mean "clucks"?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 am

1st... what hawk screamer do you use? does it sound authentic? or does it just work?

yea got them mixed up :doh:

..its a HS hawk Screamer and it works just fine sounds fine.....like i said i rarely use it
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 am

Being from Michigan I keep it real with rod Benson's slates, diaphrams and box calls. These calls sound great!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 pm

I use my voice to owl hoot. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at it. Once I get one located, my go to call is an Ed Jenkins custom pot call. I have three of his calls with various surfaces but so far my favorite is the bloodwood with a ceramic surface. I have killed a load of turkeys off that call. For diaphragm calls, I like to use the Knight and Hale calls. The tape edges seem to fit in my mouth better than some of the other brands, especially primos mouth calls.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:[glow=red]I use my voice to owl hoot. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at it.[/glow] Once I get one located, my go to call is an Ed Jenkins custom pot call. I have three of his calls with various surfaces but so far my favorite is the bloodwood with a ceramic surface. I have killed a load of turkeys off that call. For diaphragm calls, I like to use the Knight and Hale calls. The tape edges seem to fit in my mouth better than some of the other brands, especially primos mouth calls.

x2 i am also very good at hooting
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 pm

BigHunt wrote:

yea got them mixed up :doh:

..its a HS hawk Screamer and it works just fine sounds fine.....like i said i rarely use it

I lost my hawk screamer. Used to use it a lot in college before I had dogs. When I caught pheasants running I would scream and they would hole up. Loved that thing.

My favorite turkey call is my tennis shoes, I stink at calling in turkeys. I'm better at running them down
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I like the primos calls. I prefer diaphragms with 3 reeds. I once was posting about which mouth calls were best on primos cabin chat and i guess will saw the post and he ended up sending me about ten mouth calls and a Few slates.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm

I have several calls and several types, but my all time favorite is the Lil Heartbreaker box call.
liveandletfly46

Unread postby liveandletfly46 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am

Quaker Boy Hurricane box call. That thing is a stud at calling in daddy long-fingers up in my neck of the woods (upstate NY). I appreciate it being a local company a couple miles down the road
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 am

quick update.... picked up a DND Haint Gobble call and WOW is all I have to say!

It took me a few hours, but now I sound just like a gobbling longbearrd.... should be good for locating and maybe Ill give it a try on some stubborn birds.

check it out on youtube.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”