Ellies first bird

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Ellies first bird

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue May 29, 2012 4:32 am

This morning I asked Ellie if she wanted to go up the road and try for a turkey as this may be my last opportunity to take her before May 31. She begrudgingly agrees. We left at 8:22 am. I just had to take a couple pics of her new turkey outfit I got at Salvation Army. Some camo duds and a brown pullover hoodie. Oh, and her rubber boots our neighbor Ann got her at the Salvation Army (Thanks Ann)

And that is not face paint if you can see the chocolate donut smears on her face. In the truck on the short ride she is trying to take a pic of herself because I told her she still had chocolate on her face.

Well it was a pretty short hunt, we pulled out with her turkey in the truck at 9:22 am. I wanted to set up right where I set up when I got my nephew Zach his last bird a couple years ago. But as we got to the top of the hill I saw birds down there already. So I set up next to an autumn olive near the top of the hill with her new ground blind. I made this with a piece of fabric ( True Timber MC2) clipped to a corrugated plastic sheet with three sides so it stands up. Notched a spot for the gun to rest and got her a seat.

Well, turns out this group of 6 jakes doesn't like my calling, soft purrs from an aluminum friction call, and a few soft yelps with my new diaphram. How could this be, they are heading away from my master calling :oops: So I cut loose on the slate trying to sound like an excited hen, it turned them for a bit then away they went. I asked Ellie if when they got around the bend in a little thicket, if she wanted to run down and try to cut them off. She agreed, and we literally went for a run, of course I unloaded the gun and carried it for her.

The plan unfolded fast, there they were. I got Ellie settled in and I think they saw us move, as we were about 5 yds into the thicket and they were about 30 or so yds out in the field. They were kinda caught too in the open, the big mud area kept them from going north, and they went to our left and at us as they tried to get to cover, I clucked twice and a bird stopped right in Ellie's shooting lane. BOOM roared the little 16 gauge and down it went. As I ran out there it started doing a dirt angel on its breast/belly in the mud what a mess. It was so muddy and messy and a bunch of feathers came off, it took me a while to find the beard. But I found that little spanker a whole 3-inches.

Ellie tagging her bird.

She was hot and wanted to take off the brown hoodie, then I had to get a pic of her shirt under her hoodie (Women Hunter Magazine logo wear and good friends of ours). See the chocolate now in the corner of her mouth.

Then it was my turn to try to take a pic of us, she said she had trouble in the truck, it took me 4 tries, here are two of them.

Now a few pics of the original set up this is how it was supposed to happen. We were set up, I call, turkey(s) come in, Ellie shoots. See Ellie in her blind next to the autumn olive?

The birds were about 40 or so yds beyond where Ellie is here down in the low spot.

When they disappeared they went around that thicket to the north and west (were facing north) that jets into the field. We ran down to it and snuck near the edge when Ellie dropped the hammer - BOOM (I must have said that a hundred times on the way home).

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Re: Ellies first bird

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:37 am

wow very cool lou and again congrats ellie on your turkey :character-beavisbutthead:

ive never seen a mud marinaded turkey before :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue May 29, 2012 4:39 am

Thanks BigHunt. It was a mess. I should have hosed it off before cleaning it, but I did have the hose handy and used it often as I skinned.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:50 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Thanks BigHunt. It was a mess. I should have hosed it off before cleaning it, but I did have the hose handy and used it often as I skinned.

awesome and congrats again lou...happy holidays
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 am

Congrats Ellie and Lou! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:57 am

Congrats to the team!
Well this bird need a shower for sure... ;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 am

Wow! That's just super awesome Ellie!! Do you know how hard it is to get a bird this late in the season?? It's very hard. Great shooting. This is now my favorite story of the year. A big congrats Ellie! :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue May 29, 2012 5:16 am

Very cool congrats on the nice bird.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:32 am

great story and pictures. Congrats
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 am

Nice story and pics!
Congrats Ellie and Uncle Lou! 8-)
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Tue May 29, 2012 11:04 am

Ellie you go girl. great job on your first turkey. some great memories for you uncle lou.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 am

VERY COOL! :clap: :clap: :clap: 8-) :D :dance: :dance:
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 am

Congrats Ellie!!
Ellie

Unread postby Ellie » Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Spysar wrote:Wow! That's just super awesome Ellie!! Do you know how hard it is to get a bird this late in the season?? It's very hard. Great shooting. This is now my favorite story of the year. A big congrats Ellie! :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance:

its my favorite story too!

and a big thank you to every one for the kind words!! :text-thankyouyellow:
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Great job Ellie!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”