My crazy NY season thus far

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

My crazy NY season thus far

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 am

Here is the recap of a guy who decided to take turkeys seriously for a change and why i wish i wouldnt have...lol

We had the warmest (read as "hottest") driest march i could ever remember. Birds out in fields everywhere and gobbling heard most mornings ..April had rain and temps everywhere form mid 80s to a foot of snow 2 weeks ago.

Tuesday (May 1)- season opener- rainy 50 deg....didnt hear a gobble or see a bird..10 buddies unted- one shot a jake..one heard a few gobbles and the rest of us were as above.

Yesterday (May 5).- hunt the family farm- knew the approximte area they roost- headed in 5am (est) and the gobbling began about 530. Had water in between the roost and my buddy and i so we relocated so the birds could have a drier migration but found ourselves about 800 yards away...in place at 550..gobbling non stop. couple tree yelps..fake flydown sound and we shut up fearing we were too far away. 615- two hens come form nowhere one of which gets 10 feet away from me and bugs out and starts to head directly away . we are in wetter woods- denser undergowth with mature maples oaks beach and varying pockets of scrub brush where as the canopy was missing.As she meanders away the other hangs out and starts putting like mad. No decoy just us hiding in some brushy mess. I see there are some bird abotu 80 yards away but cannot tell what theyre doing. I have the gut feeling there are birds to my right. I keep looking for them (later my buddy told me there were some jakes about 5o yards away). I look back at the hen and here comes a 3 yo (or 4)..35 yards away. no noise....fans...then back to walking but on edge. I am wondering why my buddy isnt shooting but the bird is closer to me now...he gets behind a tree i pull the gun up (xtrema2 w a 675 terror choke and federal 5s...to which throws a certain death pattern to almost 60 yards w this load)...and say to myself when he pops out- whack him....and he popped out and i .....shot and he ran......i was stunned...ripped off parting shot and taking in there are turkeys everywhere flying away and i just missed my first turkey. Always wondered how the heck anyone could miss one...and i rarely miss in hunting (beyond ducks/grouse)..and i just blew it on great bird.....the day ended at 630am for me....didnt hear anything thereafter

this am- head out behind my house where i frequently hear gobbling..late start but 5 minute walk- set at 530 and by now the gobble count was over 20 in that tiny walk...toms and jakes appear to be everywhere guessing 7 different including one within 75 yards....put out a decoy as quietly as i could...made a tree yelp...then a flydown and shut up....thought this was in the bag...heard the close bird pitch downabout 605...gobbling everywhere (guessing around a hundred for the am..honestly..never heard anything like it or imagined i would)....and by 7 it was quiet and by 8 i quit never seeing a bird

The last bird i shot was a jake- in my yard...in my pajama bottoms as it milled inthe woods with both my lab and beagle barking at him...had shot my spring (3yo) tom last year 15 minutes into opening day last may...boy are these birds dumb... i feel like the roles are now reversed

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: My crazy NY season thus far

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 07, 2012 2:50 am

Sounds like you had a good season to me. Spent time in the woods doing what you like to do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon May 07, 2012 5:35 am

Good luck to you! A number of my friends have taken birds in Ulster County. I have been trout fishing. I have shot quite a few Turkeys over the years but I enjoy stream and reservoir trout fishing more than I do Turkey hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Got out saturday am- heard three shot...heard no gobbles...but couldve shot a mosquito with 3/4" spurs and a 10" beard...lol...

Turkeys- the harder you try the harder they are to kill

As the addage says- anytime afield trumps everytime at work

Congrats. I sadly gave up the fishing deal for a lack of time..actually i have 5 outting for turkeys and that is mroe than last yr....bank my time for deer... i used to love 3 or 4 wt fly rod stalking...... that is a gorgeous portion of the state too Scot
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm

gjs4 wrote:Got out saturday am- heard three shot...heard no gobbles...but couldve shot a mosquito with 3/4" spurs and a 10" beard...lol...

Turkeys- the harder you try the harder they are to kill

As the addage says- anytime afield trumps everytime at work

Congrats. I sadly gave up the fishing deal for a lack of time..actually i have 5 outting for turkeys and that is mroe than last yr....bank my time for deer... i used to love 3 or 4 wt fly rod stalking...... that is a gorgeous portion of the state too Scot

:lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”