What would you do with this Tom?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

What would you do with this Tom?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat May 05, 2012 2:24 pm

So tonight I roosted a Tom and 2 hens on our property. I saw them fly into the trees. Im going to hunt them tommorow but im not sure how I should set up and how far from the roost? Should I use decoys? If so what would you suggest? Any advice would be helpful. Right before he flew up he was strutting for the two hens. There is a field out in front of them which they were in when they flew up to roost. Looked like a good size bird. Thanks guys. 8-)

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: What would you do with this Tom?

Unread postby Czabs » Sat May 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Gun- Set up on the field edge about 50 yards away from the tree. No calling just wait and see what the tom does, and go from there. Blind calling no decoy.

Bow-set up blind down the field edge a ways where you know he won't hear or see you. Tom and hen decoys out and try to coax him in with calling.

Thats just what comes to my mind when given that scenario...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Personally I would get as close as possible to the roosting tree.... Try to get between the hens and him ... He most likly will pitch right down

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun May 06, 2012 12:47 am

So I went out this morning and while I walking to the tree the tom gobbled. This was an early gobble at 5:09 AM. I snuck to within 50 yards of his tree maybe even closer. I dont know if I ever heard a Tom gobble so much. There were no hens with him. He gobbled 50 times I would guess. It was alot of fun to hear that! I called to him a total of 5 times. Im pretty sure he was expecting a hen to come to his tree. He didnt fly down until 6:20 AM due to overcast skies. When he hit the ground he was 45-50 yards away but there was way too much brush to get a shot at him. He stood there a few minutes then walked away. I was on the field edge so I figured he would come out into the field. Later on I kicked up a hen on a nest which is where he was headed after he left. I thought maybe I should have shot him out of the tree but Im not sure if thats legal and overall I decided it was unethical to do so.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:So I went out this morning and while I walking to the tree the tom gobbled. This was an early gobble at 5:09 AM. I snuck to within 50 yards of his tree maybe even closer. I dont know if I ever heard a Tom gobble so much. There were no hens with him. He gobbled 50 times I would guess. It was alot of fun to hear that! I called to him a total of 5 times. Im pretty sure he was expecting a hen to come to his tree. He didnt fly down until 6:20 AM due to overcast skies. When he hit the ground he was 45-50 yards away but there was way too much brush to get a shot at him. He stood there a few minutes then walked away. I was on the field edge so I figured he would come out into the field. Later on I kicked up a hen on a nest which is where he was headed after he left. I thought maybe I should have shot him out of the tree but Im not sure if thats legal and overall I decided it was unethical to do so.

i dont why not ...as long as its shooting hours....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 am

BigHunt wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:So I went out this morning and while I walking to the tree the tom gobbled. This was an early gobble at 5:09 AM. I snuck to within 50 yards of his tree maybe even closer. I dont know if I ever heard a Tom gobble so much. There were no hens with him. He gobbled 50 times I would guess. It was alot of fun to hear that! I called to him a total of 5 times. Im pretty sure he was expecting a hen to come to his tree. He didnt fly down until 6:20 AM due to overcast skies. When he hit the ground he was 45-50 yards away but there was way too much brush to get a shot at him. He stood there a few minutes then walked away. I was on the field edge so I figured he would come out into the field. Later on I kicked up a hen on a nest which is where he was headed after he left. I thought maybe I should have shot him out of the tree but Im not sure if thats legal and overall I decided it was unethical to do so.

I'm not sure about being legal either, but wouldn't that be like ground swatting a pheasant ? I don't know, just asking.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I'm not sure about being legal either, but wouldn't that be like ground swatting a pheasant ? I don't know, just asking.

I was always taught that there is an unwritten rule about shooting a turkey on roost because it is not very sporting. :?
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun May 06, 2012 6:21 am

Whether its a rule or legal or not I didnt want to do it because the challenge isnt there for me and shooting a bird out of tree is a waste of a turkey liscense and tag IMO when I could just go to the grocery store. It also seems like a cheapshot or easy way out to get one.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:29 am

shooting one out of a tree is not very ethical. Good call not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”