Cat and Mouse, trying to get it done on the last day

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Cat and Mouse, trying to get it done on the last day

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 am

My first season in WI didn't go so well. Now I'm hunting C season in MN. I went out on Sunday morning with one of my hunting buddies working the camera. I had to make sure and show him how to do the basic zoom, power on/off, record, etc. and showed him how to use the manual focus, telling him it can be really important.

Heard some gobbles off in the distance at daybreak, and we hung out on a field edge calling intermittently. About 8:00 there were two gobbles over past the far side of the field. They started getting closer, and eventually then were in the field headed right for us. I'm all ready to go, gun shouldered, breathing heavy... And my buddy goes, "It's all blurry, all I can see is the sticks in front of us." So I told him to manual focus it to infinity. And he struggled. I was trying to whisper him through it, even though we had just gone over it a half hour earlier. I wanted to reach over and do it my myself but we didn't want to risk spooking the birds. They stopped at about 50 yards out and started clucking. Apparently they didn't like the foam decoy. I asked if he was clear yet so I could shoot. By the time he eventually got the shot somewhat focused, I had too much grass in front of my gun and had to pass on the shot. The birds turned around and walked into a private woodlot. I was a bit frustrated. We saw a couple more distant birds with no luck calling.

Yesterday morning I tried setting up on top of a ridge above the lakeshore roosting areas. Heard a bit of gobbling through the morning rain, along with yelps and clucking. Never could get them to come closer. I got out of the blind and snuck about 150 yards closer over a couple of ravines. They were still gobbling but wouldn't come any closer to save the life of me. Eventually it died off. But, the area I was in had feathers and lots of roost trees, so I set the blind up there for this morning's hunt. In the afternoon, I sat again on the field edge. At 5:10 two hens followed by two toms crossed the opposite corner a couple hundred yards away. I didn't even try to call, knowing it would be useless and not wanting to wise them up any more. I had a decoy out so they would have come if they wanted.

This morning I literally tiptoed as slowly and quietly as I could to the blind by the roost. Heard the first gobbles early, a ways off. I figured they roosted in a different area. Then I heard two gobbles much closer, probably around 80-120 yards. As it got close to flydown, I did a couple purrs and light yelps. They responded. It seemed like they were getting closer, but slowly. Then a flutter of wings and two hens flew down. They were roosted not 30 yards from my blind. I couldn't follow them too well in the undergrowth, but they started yelping in chorus with the gobbling, and they went off in the direction of the toms. The gobbling stayed in the same area for the longest time, then it swung around along the lakeshore to where they were probably 80 yards away, then the gobbling died off and went back in the direction they came from and continued on that way.

So, I knew about exactly where those toms must have been posted up gobbling, so I took the blind down and walked over there. Along the lakeshore there is a flat area that's relatively open and dry, surrounded by trees and undergrowth. I figure they must have gone through there. So I set up and concealed the blind, and am going to sneak back in there tomorrow morning, the last day. I'll have to get past two roosted hens and near the gobblers' roosts unnoticed, but if they continue their pattern, I should have them come within range and put one down, or at least get some good footage.

Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: Cat and Mouse, trying to get it done on the last day

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 am

If it doesn't work out first thing in the morning and you have the time I would try to call one in mid to late morning after the hens leave the gobblers.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed May 02, 2012 5:23 am

Good luck man, I hope you nail one.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 am

Keep after it. You never heard me say it was easy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 am

sounds great ..........good luck looking forward to hearing from ya!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 am

Sounds like a fun time! Hope you get it done!
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:08 pm

We're in a tornado watch. Supposed to storm all night and a little past sunrise. Hope my blind is still there tomorrow. That thing was expensive. If it gets tossed out over the lake, it may be gone for good.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed May 02, 2012 2:33 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:We're in a tornado watch. Supposed to storm all night and a little past sunrise. Hope my blind is still there tomorrow. That thing was expensive. If it gets tossed out over the lake, it may be gone for good.

:shock: :doh: good luck!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I got lucky. The blind was flipped over and lodged against a couple trees. Still took me a few minutes to get it set back up. Would have liked to be ready a little earlier. Birds are gobbling all around, just nothing super close yet. Its damp and calm, hoping for the best.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 am

Monday morning I went to a known dusting spot. Stayed till 9 and couldnt buy a gobble so I went to work. This is a spot I have opened my mouth about to buddies so they now feel its open game. One showed up at 11, made one call, two mature toms ran in and he shot one.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:51 am

Everything went silent after flydown. Heard a bunch of yelping, but it ended up being another couple hunters. We talked for a bit. He said its the hardest year hunting that he's experienced here. Went across to a different access and tried yelping. Nothing. Then came back and set up my blind on a field edge and put the decoy out. Tried a couple yelps with the slate but its been treating me like crap. Could hardly hear it in front of my face.

I realized I left the box call in the car so I went back quick to grab it (about 300 yards round trip). Well wouldn't you know as I get 50 yards from the blind I can see three toms in the field. There was no way to get back to the blind to my gun discretely, so I did my best to hide myself crawling back. They ended up walking the edge and going over the other side. They didn't take off running, but they must have at least seen me. If I handt have gone back for the call or hadn't forgot it, Id probably be tagging one right now. Starting to seem like it just isn't meant to be with this string of bad luck.

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 am

They came back out but seemed uninterested in the decoy or any calling I did. They hung around a while, one strutted for a couple seconds, and eventually they all went back to where they had originally come from.

Edit: they came out again, and entered the woods on my side of the field 100 yards down. Still unresponsive

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu May 03, 2012 5:20 am

Hang in there....

We're rootin for you
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:44 am

Got lunch, walked back to the blind at 1150 and let out a few yelps. Heard a distant gobble. He gobbled again closer. I gave a couple more yelps and was answered immediately. So I shut up. He gobbled once a minute like clockwork in the same spot for 30 minutes. I stayed quiet. Finally he got closer again, and I spotted him step out into the other end of the field. He must have seen the decoy, but didn't pay it any mind. He walked around a little, feeding pretty much the whole time. He was about 120 yards away. As he started heading back to the woods I tried purring, light clucks, then yelps again but he ignored them. Don't get it, they act interested then don't commit. Same story all week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”