Have you ever hunted turkeys from a deer stand?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oneflag

Have you ever hunted turkeys from a deer stand?

Unread postby oneflag » Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 am

The only field I can hunt I setup a blind and I'm saving the area for my daughter. I have been hunting hill country, one long ridge that has an ATV trail on it. The turkeys are using the trail a lot. We had such an early spring the ridge is very thick and dense. I have called in a couple birds and keep getting busted. While walking the trail I have scared a few birds off. I'm thinking about packing my Summit climber and climbing a tree and hunt them like deer. I have my doubts and don’t like being stuck in one place.
Any thoughts?

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Have you ever hunted turkeys from a deer stand?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 am

I have heard that they are really good at spotting movement up in trees, as they're used to looking for owls, etc. But I also know that, at least during the fall season, lots of turkeys get shot by guys who are deer hunting and happen to have a fall turkey tag along when in a tree stand. Blind is likely preferable, but if tree stand is the only option, it could be worth a shot.
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 am

I agree if the summit's the only way, get climbing! I feel they would pick you out but with alot of cover i dont think so, you dont need openings like deer hunting.

They always picked me out deer hunting, they're evil, one more reason to want to kill'm!
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed May 02, 2012 8:12 am

Could you sit maybe 10-20 yards off of the ATV trail in some thicker cover and trim 2 or 3 shooting lanes from that spot back to the trail so if a bird comes in down the trail silent you could see the bird through the first lane? Get ready to shoot and then when he enters the next lane shoot him. If he's gobbling then you know where he is and you could shoot him in the first lane when he appears. I think that would be better than the treestand. The treestand might work but I think you might get picked off easier in the treestand.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 03, 2012 12:40 am

I shot one two years ago out of a tower stand, that my brother in law hunts out of.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 am

Killed a few in the fall from a deer stand. I would think it would be easier in the spring, more bird distraction, cover, and fewer toms in a group.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu May 03, 2012 3:51 am

Thanks for replies. I can't cut any shooting lanes because its public land. I have hunted this area before and never has it been so thick. My theory is the early spring we had boosted the growth of the forest floor. It's like a jungle but the turkeys are using the ATV trail. I find feathers, droppings and turkeys. It's just my opinion but the turkeys are more skittish. I feel their range of sight is limited so the have their guard up all the time. Their eyes are so good they see me before I see them and skirt off just a few yards in the thick cover. I do have some wooded hollers and such that are more open but this ¼ mile ridge has a lot of activity on it. I'm tempted to give it a try but see no pleasure in packing a climber turkey hunting hill country!
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 am

I know quite a few guys that have killed out of a deer stand...biggest thing just don't get silhouetted

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 am

Never tried it in the spring. I have busted a fall flock in the pre dawn and then called them back to me with a kee kee whistle out of my mouth into shooting range. Too bad season hadnt started. I drew back on them too just to see if I could.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:24 am

Why not kill them right on the ATV trail? I am confused. They dont care. I see gobblers walk up paved roads strutting here.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 am

oneflag wrote:Thanks for replies. I can't cut any shooting lanes because its public land. I have hunted this area before and never has it been so thick. My theory is the early spring we had boosted the growth of the forest floor. It's like a jungle but the turkeys are using the ATV trail. I find feathers, droppings and turkeys. It's just my opinion but the turkeys are more skittish. I feel their range of sight is limited so the have their guard up all the time. Their eyes are so good they see me before I see them and skirt off just a few yards in the thick cover. I do have some wooded hollers and such that are more open but this ¼ mile ridge has a lot of activity on it. I'm tempted to give it a try but see no pleasure in packing a climber turkey hunting hill country!

I cant stop replying... last one I promise.

I have read that their vision is similar to a 10x bino. When they get within 50, you better already be in position with the gun up ready to fire. Ive gotten to a point holding the gun up before I swore my muscles would rip out of the skin.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu May 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Yes, I have...
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 pm

jlh42581 wrote:Why not kill them right on the ATV trail? I am confused. They dont care. I see gobblers walk up paved roads strutting here.

I am on public land and ATVs should not even be there. With that said an ATV has not been on this ridge for two or three years. We have had some severe weather the past few years and the trail is blocked by big trees. ATV guys will use a hand saw on the small stuff but this requires a chain saw. So the trail has grown a canopy of limbs over it. Most guys would ride at night and party; I get tired of picking up beer cans. Pretty much shutdown the riding for now and that’s a good thing. But then I like the trail to retrieve my deer and hike on.
As for the turkey hunts, I guess one issue I have is lack of patients and only having 10 yards of visibility, but that’s just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to try my climber this weekend, I just might learn something.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”