Calling birds off the neighboring property

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Calling birds off the neighboring property

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 pm

I want to hear how you all handle this. I got a private land southern Michigan tag which means I have to shoot one on private land. I find the birds very hateful, we have a ton of birds around, but as soon as you start hunting them they just go where you cant shoot them.

So I got a 120 I have plenty of birds on, but they just gobble and hen talk on the roost and go across the road and sit on some of the many no hunting private properties. The area I live in I describe as horse farm country. There are a lot of horse farms, a lot of overgrown and not recently farmed fields, limited crops (which are on this 120), some crappy grass fields they cut once a year, lots of swamp and lakes, and lots of little private 5, 10s, and 20s.

I got birds roosting on my west line. What do you throw at these birds?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Calling birds off the neighboring property

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Shoot them at the roost... ;)
Have you tried afternoon hunting when they come back on your property? I have noticed the hens are nesting here in S. Wisconsin and that means there hitting the nests late morning leaving the Toms to go searching for another hen.... Midday can be a great time to call right now.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Thats a good answer, I just need to find another afternoon for this.

I did just miss a monster boss on Monday at about 5:30pm. He was strutting in the field and I slipped in, then he started heading up the hill and I had to shoot to my hard right, facing forward and laying on my front side. Wish I had a do over, even though it was awkward I should have nailed him, man he was huge. I dont think he will be back soon in that spot, but I am watching for him. I bet I spend a hundred bucks on fuel circling that field in the next few weeks.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:07 pm

dan wrote:Shoot them at the roost... ;)
Have you tried afternoon hunting when they come back on your property? I have noticed the hens are nesting here in S. Wisconsin and that means there hitting the nests late morning leaving the Toms to go searching for another hen.... Midday can be a great time to call right now.

;) this is what i do .....thats why i love hunting the late season.....it seems in western Wisconsin, that it gets good in the later season like the 5th and 6th.....by then most of the hens are laying on nest....its really easy to call in a bird in mid mourning when the hens leave the toms. :lol: sometimes i sleep in till 8-9 am, wake up go up on top, and just listen for one gobbling or glassing Fields and a lot of the time and most of the time i hear or see on and use that to my advantage ....some times i wont even call if im not on a gobbling turkey on the roost , ill just sit and wait until they start gobbling mid mourning, and then i move in for the attack silently, there so gullible late season :L: ....but if they were hunted hard they can be spooky at times...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Camping the roost in the evening is the bomb diggity for finicky tongue tied longbeards. Sit there silent with no calling and bush whack them!

That or a .223 from 150 yards will do the trick.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 am

muddy wrote:Camping the roost in the evening is the bomb diggity for finicky tongue tied longbeards. Sit there silent with no calling and bush whack them!

That or a .223 from 150 yards will do the trick.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

150 yards ...more like 500 :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

Plant corn and beans.Whatever is left over from the winter will pull them in.......
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 am

BigHunt wrote:
dan wrote:Shoot them at the roost... ;)

;) this is what i do .....thats why i love hunting the late season.....it seems in western Wisconsin, that it gets good in the later season like the 5th and 6th.....by then most of the hens are laying on nest....its really easy to call in a bird in mid mourning when the hens leave the toms. :lol: sometimes i sleep in till 8-9 am, wake up go up on top, and just listen for one gobbling or glassing Fields and a lot of the time and most of the time i hear or see on and use that to my advantage ....some times i wont even call if im not on a gobbling turkey on the roost , ill just sit and wait until they start gobbling mid mourning, and then i move in for the attack silently, there so gullible late season :L: ....but if they were hunted hard they can be spooky at times...

BH hit the nail on the head, when the hens are on the nest and don't want any Tom attention, a tom will come to just about anything. I called a tom in 2 years ago from over a half mile away and killed him. He climbed 2 hills and went down two hills over the course of an hour or so but once he saw my decoys he crossed a wide open field in a matter of seconds. He took an hour to come, but every single time he gobbled he was closer. It helps to have a LOUD box call int he late season, that particular bird came to a primos battleship boat paddle, and loud it is!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 am

That's good advice sitting the roost, but the problem is they are roosting too close to the neighboring house. If I blast one there they might get a little POd during dancing with the stars, plus it is not legal here to shoot within 150 yds of a building.

There were 12 of them ganged up near one of the roost areas the other evening. With a group of hens staged up near the roost in the evening, does that mean they are not on the nest?

Or, do they leave the nest and fly up?

Or, is that weather/temperature dependent?

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”