HELP: Advice for hunting in rain and wind

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

addisonlee

HELP: Advice for hunting in rain and wind

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 am

My season starts this Wednesday and it looks like I'll be faced with 20+mph south wind, possible thunderstorms and rain. I've been watch 3 separate groups of toms on 3 seperate public land. I know where they roost and which routes they usually take after flying down. The main question is do you guys think they will still roost in the same areas despite the nasty weather and keep with the same routine? Any advice on how to go about it in this weather?

I'm only available to hunt Wed-Fri and all 3 days seem to have the same weather. Thanks in advance guys.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: HELP: Advice for hunting in rain and wind

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:44 am

While it's raining, I seem to see more birds in the woods. As soon as it stops, though the seem to like fields, I'm assuming it is so they dry off, as the rain keeps dripping form the trees for some time after the rain stops. I don't think wind affects them too much. Good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 am

I don't think the weather will be a huge factor in roost choice. At least I have not seen it make to much of a difference here. I have a tag for this coming week too... I seem to get weather like this every year. It might make a difference if the tree they have been roosting in is now fully out in the high winds, but I have not noticed to much of a difference. I did notice a couple of times that the birds were roosting lower in the same tree on high wind days.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:24 am

It seems like rain and turkey hunting go hand in hand together, some days I am really glad to see it rain too because after it stops nearly every turkey in the area will be out in the fields. If you have any fields surrounded by woods or little meadows be there and as soon as it stops get the gun or bow ready!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 am

Another good thing about rain is that most other hunters don't go out in the rain and you get the place to yourself.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks for the advice and reassurance guys.

This will be a first for me hunting in the windy rain. I'll keep everyone posted since I'll be taking my brother out for his first turkey hunt this Wednesday as well. I hope to do some last minute scouting from a distance today and tomorrow to confirm what I've been seeing with these groups.

dan - If it's one thing I took from your extreme turkey tactics dvd, it's less hunters during the rain. Great video. Good luck this week.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:02 am

One thing I'll add is they tend to stay roosted longer if it's raining during fly down time. I have heard toms gobble on the roost like crazy though every time it would thunder!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 am

Hunt fields if you have them around. They are always looking for worms/insects that come out of the ground during/after the rain.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

If you have a blind, take that out with you to stay more comfortable in the elements.....it WILL keep you out there longer, and if you've done your homework and are in the right spot they will come right by.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. I plan on setting up in a blind next to some standing corn where they've been feeding after flying down. This will be my brothers first turkey hunt. I'll keep everyone posted. 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:07 am

addisonlee wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. I plan on setting up in a blind next to some standing corn where they've been feeding after flying down. This will be my brothers first turkey hunt. I'll keep everyone posted. 8-)

good luck 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 am

Good luck Beast Bro!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Ive actually had really good results in the rain. I enjoy hunting in a light rain because at least for me the turkeys tend to come out into the open. I was surprised to hear others say they stay in the woods. I would think with rain and wind it would be harder for them to detect predators in the woods so they would go out into the open to be able to see better and keep watch. Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 pm

I see birds in the fields more when it rains. Sometimes in reallllly nasty weather they wont even leave the roost till it calms down.

Dont forget to wipe your gun off after a day of hunting in the rain. Last year I shot a bird in a drencher and threw my 870 in the truck and didnt get it out for a week. When it came out I had to disassemble the entire thing, clean it and then I opted to paint it myself rather than send it to be dipped. It looks awesome all painted up but I wouldve rather not had to have done that. It was a ton of work making sure every part was clean, then painting then letting it cure for a week then assembling it without making a mess out of the finish. I always worry too when scrubbing the bore about cleaner eating the paint on the outside. I guess its cheap enough to paint again but still a headache.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”