P U M P E D !

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

P U M P E D !

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Mike E. and myself were at his house yesterday pondering over his bowfishing rig when all of a sudden a GOBBLE! YES...a big ole gobble echoed out throughout the open farmland near us, and where we can hunt. We both looked at eachother and thought the same thing, great minds think alike. Mike scampered inside and came out with his turkey call. 8-)

We went back to some pines adjacent to an open grass field. As we sat and waited we could hear some hens clucking far out in the distance. Mike rang off a couple yelps and clucks as we stood motionless hidden within the dark pines. Sure enough a gobble, and then he appeared. The beard was far from perfect, but he was an older bird a beautiful one at that. His head changed colors and as he showed off his magnificent colored fan.

Once he hit the field Mike didn't do a single cluck. He had our position on lockdown and he slowly gobbled his way to within 30 yards (bow range 8-) ) We took a couple videos on our not so smart phones and called it good. We patiently watched him make his way back into the timber after he was let down. We then wandered back to the house both marveling over what had just happened.

Mike has 1st and 4th. I have 4th.

Get the bowstrings waxed and your barrels oiled, its turkey season boys and girls!

I'll try to get my not so smart phone to connect with my computer...not so sure but I'll try to upload the video... 8-)

PLB
500 Club

Re: P U M P E D !

Unread postby PLB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 am

That's cool but is it even legal to have or use turkey calls in your possession before season?? To me that just educates birds and makes them call shy. Especially when they get all the way to 30 yards and no hen is visible. I like to listen before season at first light and maybe use a locator call. I never carry a turkey call before my season though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 am

Public Land Beast wrote:That's cool but is it even legal to have or use turkey calls in your possession before season?? To me that just educates birds and makes them call shy. Especially when they get all the way to 30 yards and no hen is visible. I like to listen before season at first light and maybe use a locator call. I never carry a turkey call before my season though.

I tend to agree with you on the educating them and making them call-shy by calling to them before season, but to answer your first question - there is nothing illegal about it..

Good luck Czabs! Hopefully you can pull him in close again once the season opens!
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am

There should be nothing illegal about it...

As far as call shy goes...I was actually thinking the same thing. However I think if we were non stop calling and having him come in that way that could ruin a lot. Like I said he just did some yelping and some clucks once or twice without him even in sight. Once he was in sight he came across a 200-300 yard open field right to us without a single peep. I'm not worried.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 am

Public Land Beast wrote:That's cool but is it even legal to have or use turkey calls in your possession before season?? To me that just educates birds and makes them call shy. Especially when they get all the way to 30 yards and no hen is visible. I like to listen before season at first light and maybe use a locator call. I never carry a turkey call before my season though.

i agree 100%...perty sure its illegal.....educating the birds isnt good either

but eh...cool encounter glad you had fun 8-) sounds good man good luck!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18 am

BigHunt wrote:i agree 100%...perty sure its illegal.....

Why would it be illegal?
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:20 am

Im sure there is nothing illegal about calling turkeys out of season.If you have someone call for you during the season they arent even required to buy a license.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am

cornfedkiller wrote:

Why would it be illegal?

:whistle: nothing never mind
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 am

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:

Why would it be illegal?

I think it is in some states
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”