Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Haus86

Re: Making an inexpensive tick repellant.

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am

Has anyone every looked up permethrin toxicity?

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:04 am

My buddy works for Erlich, not sure if youre familiar with who they are and he says he gets the stuff on him all the time and not really to worry. It just irritates your skin.

Its toxic to cats. When you buy this bottle, like I said, its in the horse section. Not lawn and garden... horses. They give you a booklet to mix up different concentrations based on the application. All I did was take the concentration that Sawyers uses and cut out the middle man.

This does not go on your skin, it goes on your clothes and you wear it once its dry. It poses ZERO risk.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:07 am

Southern Man wrote:Bought the Premetherin 10 today and a couple spray bottles. Mixed up 3 quart bottles and ready to go. Soakin the clothes tonight.

We have a youth turkey hunt this weekend at LBL and with the temps in the 80's, the ticks are rollin. Hope this works or I'm up a creek! :pray:

Report back so everyone can see just how effective this is. Make sure you treat your socks, boots... everything except your face mask.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:09 am

Here is the material safety sheet for Permethrin 10 if anyone is wondering

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... ww&cad=rja
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:49 am

Haus86 wrote:Has anyone every looked up permethrin toxicity?

Don't think I want to know.

One of the sellin points of the stuff years ago was that if a tick got on your leg, before it reached your knee it would be dead. Anything that stout can't be good for you. Maybe no harm today or tomorrow, but if you use that stuff enough over 20 years, I can see where it might be a bit hazardous.

jlh42581 wrote:Report back so everyone can see just how effective this is. Make sure you treat your socks, boots... everything except your face mask.

Sprayed down everything last night & ready to go. Even did my stool. I thought about the facemask, but decided against it.

Yea it was in the horse section. I was suprised while reading the instructions on sprayin it on horses and dogs..."Make sure soak the animals coat" and that was with a 1:4 mix. That's pretty stout.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:34 am

Good info.
I have been buying Sawyers for a couple years. In the past I just toughed it out and accepted the fact that insects are part of the outdoors experience. That thinking has changed. The past few years the ticks are terrible in my area. I have hunted the same area for years and two seasons ago I killed a buck covered with ticks. Last season I saw several deer with ticks on them during the firearms season. I have never seen this before. Just last night I found a couple while mowing grass; my dogs are already covered. I actually have scares on my ankles from ticks and chiggers I got two turkey seasons ago. Permethrin works no matter what the cost. Like previously said ITS FOR YOUR CLOTHES DON’T GET IT ON YOUR SKIN.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:28 am

Im about 95% certain that permethrin is the same active ingredient thats in frontline that you put on your dog for ticks.

Hunters Specialties Vita-Rack 26 is made to not only give minerals but to also help deer guard against ticks.

Vita-Rack® 26

The Vita-Rack® 26 whitetail formula contains 26 high quality vitamins and minerals essential to helping whitetails reach their full potential. This patented nutritional system provides year-round nutrition and creates bigger, healthier deer. It helps control ticks, which assists deer in maintaining a healthier immune system. The calcium and phosphorus in Vita-Rack 26 support bone and antler development. The granular mixture digests quickly and will bring deer back again and again.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:30 am

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am

I found a product at tractor suppy that contains 10% permethrin. The bottle is 32 oz. the price is $20. If my math is right once diluted to .5% it would cost just over 3 cents/oz. What is the cost for these other home brews? Is this a good price? I don't remember what it was called but if it's a good price I'll buy it and post the name. The only active ingredient in this product is permethrin.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:19 am

magicman54494 wrote:I found a product at tractor suppy that contains 10% permethrin. The bottle is 32 oz. the price is $20. If my math is right once diluted to .5% it would cost just over 3 cents/oz. What is the cost for these other home brews? Is this a good price? I don't remember what it was called but if it's a good price I'll buy it and post the name. The only active ingredient in this product is permethrin.

Mine cost .05 per ounce. So that's a good price.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:05 pm

And just to restate the importance some sort of bug repelant... I JUST left the dr. with Lyme's Disease treatment from a bite two weeks ago. The symptoms aren't fun at all!!!!!! Hope they don't last long :?
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I found a product at tractor suppy that contains 10% permethrin. The bottle is 32 oz. the price is $20. If my math is right once diluted to .5% it would cost just over 3 cents/oz. What is the cost for these other home brews? Is this a good price? I don't remember what it was called but if it's a good price I'll buy it and post the name. The only active ingredient in this product is permethrin.

Thats the same product I talked about on page 1. The mix is 20:1 I didnt figure out the exact cost per ounce. I used the smaller bottle.

What I did figure out was that you would need $115 worth of sawyers to make the same as an 8oz bottle.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 pm

$6.99/160 = .043 ... 4 cents an ounce
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:41 pm

So you can get an idea of coverage...

Friday I mixed up a 20oz bottle, used it all then mixed up a second and used about half

I coated HEAVILY(dripping)

Entire ASAT leafy suit
minus 33 wool shirt
lightweight base layer pants and shirt
3 hats
muck boots inside and out
ApxG2 L3 layer top and bottom
L4 Layer top and bottom
Cabelas gobbler lounger
Cabelas polar weight bib baselayer
Last edited by jlh42581 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:50 pm

I also had lymes disease about 4 years ago. I personally wouldnt mess with any of the over the counter bug products that you could possibly absorb threw your skin, who knows some bad symtoms might not show up for years, dont want to wake up some morning and find an extra body part growing :lol:

I use this clothing "ElimiTick" made by the Game Hide Company http://www.gamehide.com . It is a man-made version of a natural repellent found in chrysanthemum flowers. Its good up to 70 washes, its the first ever EPA-registered insect repellent clothing: appropriate for the use by everyone, including infants and children. They also have some clothing (vest) for dogs.

It does work, I use it all the time for turkey hunting but mostly when baiting bears. It does cost some but well worth it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”