Mobile blind ideas for running and gunning

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Mobile blind ideas for running and gunning

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:25 am

So I really want to hunt with my bow for turkeys this year. However, I don't have a blind, and don't plan on using one for the bulk/weight and time to set up for running and gunning.

So what are my options for cover? There won't be much spring growth I'm guessing for my first season hunt. Here was my first thought:

Take three long stakes and tie the tops together so that they can be folded out into a Teepee. Then staple on some camo cloth and maybe tie on some stuff or shred it a little to break up the outline further. The idea would be that just two sides of the teepee are covered, while the back it not. I could quickly stake it in the ground where I want to set up and kneel behind it. It would give me some front cover for drawing back, then I would be at liberty to lean to either side as well if need be. Any thoughts? Is something like this even necessary for you guys that turkey hunt with a bow?

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Mobile blind ideas for running and gunning

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 am

You can get away with drawing without a blind, you just have to time it. Id think an ASAT leafy suit would be a better fit than this idea or maybe building some prebuilt little blinds out of 100% natural material.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 am

Love the idea. I was toying with making a new mobile ground blind. If you need any help with fabric let me know

Here is one I do use though. I stake 1 -3 of these down and they work like a charm.

Gun, bow, I don't discriminate

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Love the idea. I was toying with making a new mobile ground blind. If you need any help with fabric let me know

Here is one I do use though. I stake 1 -3 of these down and they work like a charm.

Gun, bow, I don't discriminate

looking good lou 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:20 pm

You can run and gun (with a bow) using a full size pop up if you practice setting it up quickly....it can be done. But if you are looking for something more simple I would check out the Rhino Cut & Run blind. It's a 2-sided blind with shoot thru windows. Plus, it's only $50...not a bad price for what you're getting.

http://rhinoutdoors.com/product-details.php?prodid=4
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 am

Some good ideas. Lou, those are two separate pieces in those photos correct? Looks very lightweight and easy to set up. Have you ever had any problems being spotted with your upper body visible drawing back with a bow? I would imagine that you could simply be smart and careful and pick your draw time appropriately as was stated before.

Also, I really like the idea of that Cut and Run blind. 5 pounds isn't that bad at all, and you enough concealment for a shooter and camera guy.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:54 am

Interesting topic.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:09 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:Some good ideas. Lou, those are two separate pieces in those photos correct? Looks very lightweight and easy to set up. Have you ever had any problems being spotted with your upper body visible drawing back with a bow? I would imagine that you could simply be smart and careful and pick your draw time appropriately as was stated before.

Also, I really like the idea of that Cut and Run blind. 5 pounds isn't that bad at all, and you enough concealment for a shooter and camera guy.

Correct- 2 separate pieces. You can adjust the space between them. Also, when hunting I always set up near a tree or something else to help conceal, those pics were to show the product. The two pieces weigh about 11oz each.

On being busted drawing, No, but I mostly use gun with this set up. But don't see why you couldn't do as you said.

Question for Ack. Is the $50 rhino blind made in USA? Mine is and my turkey season special is in effect buy one get one ($20). Stakes not included, I use old arrows, the longer the better.
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com/products/

And if you are just looking for fabric, I can get you a yard (36" x 60") for $12.50 and printed in South Carolina (not china or vietnam)
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:48 pm

I like to use trees. They're all over the place. :lol:

Find one wide enough, get behind it and take your time. If they're dancing around your deke, you'll have time and opportunities to draw. It's a cool and very mobile way to hunt.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Question for Ack. Is the $50 rhino blind made in USA? Mine is and my turkey season special is in effect buy one get one ($20). Stakes not included, I use old arrows, the longer the better.

I doubt they are made in the USA, Lou
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Ack wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Question for Ack. Is the $50 rhino blind made in USA? Mine is and my turkey season special is in effect buy one get one ($20). Stakes not included, I use old arrows, the longer the better.

I doubt they are made in the USA, Lou

I checked the link and it didnt say, usually if it is, it says so somewhere. I have seen a few simple blinds like this, I really like the simplicity. There was another one that kept showing up in the predator extreme magazine called the BASH tripod blind. It kind of opened up like the cut and run but a little smaller and had a nice gun rest in the middle. I dont think mine is the best ground blind, just an option. But versatile as well as you would then have two BARK Silencers for treestand hunting come fall. One of these days I want to make something a little bigger, that is a good mobile hunting blind.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 am

The BASH blind looks like it's a bit more work to set up, notice in their youtube video that some of the time is cut out. I actually really like the look of that Cut and Run blind, mostly for the fact that it has room to easily conceal 2 people side by side, which could include a camera man. That's also one of the reasons I want to use a blind type of structure rather than natural cover. Hiding one person is one thing, 2 people is another. And you could use that for bowhunting those thick riverbottom areas or redbrush/alders where there isn't any trees around for deer. Although for size and weight the bark silencers are pretty tough to beat.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

When running and gunning, bowhunting style, I use a typical spring/coil pop up blind. They are cheap. I think I paid $40 for it. I have it set up in less than a minute.

If I'm not running and gunning, I prefer a hub style blind for bowhunting. It allows for a little more movement when you have a bow drawn.

I've found bowhunting turkeys behind natural cover very difficult unless the tom is strutting and turned away from you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”