Skewed Sex Ratios Observations

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Skewed Sex Ratios Observations

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 am

Spysar wrote:Our season is the whole month of May, which is the very end of breeding season. On May 1st the turkeys are gobbling like mad. By May 31st it's hard to find one gobbling.

I don't see here, where turkey's aren't gobbling like they always have....

Jlh, when are your turks not gobbling? Are they not gobbling opening day???

not around here....last spring they were gobbling until june...i think it had to do with the late spring we had last year.....but even then i still hear them gobbling well into june ,and strutting still.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 pm

jlh42581 wrote:I think the term "henned up" would be viable if our season was in april but the end of may? If its not a skewed ratio, I shouldnt be seeing 10 hens with a single gobbler in a 500 acre field.

I would guess that 10:1 is fairly common across the county in a large field setting.......even at the end of May.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Ack wrote:Best thing you can do when the toms are henned up is make conversation with the hens and call them in....the toms will come right on their heels. Also, don't rely so much on hunting them at the roost.....they really do not spend that much time there and while it's cool hearing them gobble on and on, you're better off determining where they go once they hit the ground and hunting them there instead. Another good place to hunt (where the hens will go) are dusting areas. Sit near dusting areas during the mid-day to afternoon hours and the birds will be there.....both hens AND toms.

I agree!! Right on Ack!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Spysar wrote:I doubt mushroom hunters have anything to do with it.

We kill off the vocal, responsive birds, quick, leaving the silent unresponsive ones. After years and years of this, it's what we have left.

last year I got all my stuff drug out where I was going to set up. Threw my blind on the ground and noticed a whole bunch of mushrooms. I lost interest in turkey hunting until those roons were taken care of. Never saw a bird that day. When people are walking around looking for mushrooms you are not going to see any birds.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:I doubt mushroom hunters have anything to do with it.

We kill off the vocal, responsive birds, quick, leaving the silent unresponsive ones. After years and years of this, it's what we have left.

last year I got all my stuff drug out where I was going to set up. Threw my blind on the ground and noticed a whole bunch of mushrooms. I lost interest in turkey hunting until those roons were taken care of. Never saw a bird that day. When people are walking around looking for mushrooms you are not going to see any birds.

not necessarily..ive shot plenty of turkeys during prime mushroom time, knowing that people are walking around on public and privet
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”