Wisconsin thinks very highly of their turkey permits

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

James
500 Club

Wisconsin thinks very highly of their turkey permits

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Just need to do a little venting on this one. My dad and I have been putting in for season 1 turkey permits in Zone 3 for 4 years now. I logged in to check results today thinking 3 pref points would do it for sure. Nope! Apparently a first season permit in zone 3 is similar to a big horn sheep tag out west or similar...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Brad

Re: Wisconsin thinks very highly of their turkey permits

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 pm

That sucks man! It shouldn't take as long to get a turkey tag as it takes to get a bear tag.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Bummer
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:42 pm

wow! thats unreal, they have boatloads of extra tags for the later seasons in zone 3 every year.

are you only applying for week 1? that might be your problem
When better is possible, good is never good enough
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:55 pm

They had some type of glitch with the online apps.I applied as a landowner and myself and 3 others who applied as landowners were denied but others who werent landowners were getting tags for same zone and period.It was like they overlooked landowner preference when they drew tags.Maybe they did the same for your tags and are in the process of correcting yet.If you didnt apply as a landowner or as a group and only put 1 period that could be your problem .I believe they get first tag preference.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 am

Will trade turkey hunts in mass on public land for big buck opportunities.

You guys got the big bucks, we got more turkeys than you can imagine. So many hens because people are so wrapped up in fall archery that after they leave the roost they usually dont gobble.

Either that or the birds that gobbled died so frequently the crazy gobbling birds have been removed from the gene pool.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:22 am

Im feeling your pain! My family and I have 200 acres of private that we can hunt with a flock of at least 50 birds. No one is hunting this year because no one can get a tag. Its as if we don't have enough turkeys. :roll:
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 am

Why do you guys have a draw system for turkeys? Are they still trying to build up the population?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 am

James,
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, it don't matter how many preference points you have. You can't get a non-resident turkey tag in Wisconsin until after all residents get one. Which leaves non-residents stuck with the last two periods because residents always get all the 1st couple seasons tags, so there are never any left for a non-resident draw.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 am

SaddleMaster wrote:Why do you guys have a draw system for turkeys? Are they still trying to build up the population?

[tab=30] I think it has something to do with takeing pressure off the public lands.If everybody had period 1 public would be overcrowded.Also giving landowner preference opens up more private land.Landowners usually take period a or b and then open up there land for others to access for later period c,d,e,f.I know I will take some friends out who have later tags cuz mine will be over.......
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 pm

WI turkey application is a joke IMO..... The cost 2 hunt and limited time does not make sense 2 me

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 pm

dan wrote:James,
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, it don't matter how many preference points you have. You can't get a non-resident turkey tag in Wisconsin until after all residents get one. Which leaves non-residents stuck with the last two periods because residents always get all the 1st couple seasons tags, so there are never any left for a non-resident draw.

Spoke with the DNR. According to them you are drawing dead as a NR until you hit 3 pref points. So this year was the first year I actually stood a chance. Next year I should draw first year.

WI is pretty goofy. They give away 3rd season and later permits like water and treat the early season permits like gold. You would think they would take the money over the latter.

First season matters a ton on my farm as the neighbors bang up the birds pretty good by the time 3rd season rolls around.

Oh well, it's only turkey hunting...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Bucky wrote:WI turkey application is a joke IMO..... The cost 2 hunt and limited time does not make sense 2 me

[tab=30] $3.00 to apply.$20.25 for a stamp and license thats a whole whopping $23.25 i hope you dont think thats alot a pay to hunt turkeys for 7 days.Try to entertain yourself any cheaper.
bpaulson

Unread postby bpaulson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 am

goldtip5575 wrote:
Bucky wrote:WI turkey application is a joke IMO..... The cost 2 hunt and limited time does not make sense 2 me

[tab=30] $3.00 to apply.$20.25 for a stamp and license thats a whole whopping $23.25 i hope you dont think thats alot a pay to hunt turkeys for 7 days.Try to entertain yourself any cheaper.

The population is down some but I think we should be able to shoot two for that price. I mean archery deer tags are 75 cents more for two tags. So i'd agree the price is a little steep for a turkey but I still do it. It only comes out to roughly $11.50 for a wild turkey breast....
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:28 am

goldtip5575 wrote:

If you get a bang out of hunting turkeys for $25 more power to ya... but you can kill 3 deer in WI for the same price tag and hunt them for roughly 100 days :shock:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”