Ladies Man/Bearded Girls

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Osprey

Ladies Man/Bearded Girls

Unread postby Osprey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Geez, I'm getting sick of hens! Last few days that's all I've seen, at least five different ones each day, hanging as close at ten yards to my setup. And of course none is the bearded girl I have pics of from the last two winters. I keep hoping for her. Trying a spot tomorrow where a buddy passed a bearded hen on opening day, maybe she'll come by.

Anybody ever shoot a bearded hen? Legal in your state? Here in MD the regs say 'bearded turkey' so they're legal to harvest. Got three different buddies that have killed one each, but still waiting for my turn at one of them.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Ladies Man/Bearded Girls

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Bearded hens are legal in Wis.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 pm

They are legal here in Michigan, but personally I would never shoot one in the spring. That is a nest of eggs that would never happen.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Legal in Wisconsin... I would take one if given the chance. I have seen a few, but not when I was kill ready.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 am

I also will shoot a bearded hen if given the opportunity. We have alot of birds and especially plenty of hens. They are far better eatin' and some of the bearded hens I've seen lately would put those Toms to shame!
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:25 am

I could have shot one last year in WI with the bow during 5th season. She had about a 4 inch beard. I had her at about 20 yards with another hen for a few minutes but I didn't want to shoot her. I'm about 100% positive she had a nest in some tall grass along a field edge where I would see her go into the grass for a few hours, then come back out into a freshly planted corn field, then go back into the grass. While it is legal in WI I didn't do it and I don't think I would in the future either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”