What spring turkey season did you pick and why

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: What spring turkey season did you pick and why

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Hey Big Hunt could you redirect me to the post of when you shot that 3 bearded tom? I would like to hear the story behind that. 8-)

i didnt shoot it , but i called it in for my buddy ....that is his 3rd turkey , 2nd triple bearded :shock:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7123

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 am

BigHunt wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Hey Big Hunt could you redirect me to the post of when you shot that 3 bearded tom? I would like to hear the story behind that. 8-)

i didnt shoot it , but i called it in for my buddy ....that is his 3rd turkey , 2nd triple bearded :shock:

Wow....his 2nd triple bearded and in 3 years! Sounds like beginners luck! :lol:

Thanks for posting the link thats funny how sometimes all it takes is two calls to get them to come in.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

Wow....his 2nd triple bearded and in 3 years! Sounds like beginners luck! :lol:

Thanks for posting the link thats funny how sometimes all it takes is two calls to get them to come in.

it was all luck :lol: i told him this year hes on his own :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 am

1st Choice = Week 2

Simply because I never have gotten the first week so, why not get the second week. :D
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

I applied and drew for the first season, I didn't see the point to put in for any other season and pay extra except for the first 3 because there are always a boat load of tags left for the 4th, 5th and 6th. This year if I play my cards right I can get a 1st (what I drew), 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. I am taking the bow, and if it gets down to the wire the mossburg will come out to bat cleanup. I am looking forward to zipping one with an arrow for sure.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I applied and drew for the first season, I didn't see the point to put in for any other season and pay extra except for the first 3 because there are always a boat load of tags left for the 4th, 5th and 6th. This year if I play my cards right I can get a 1st (what I drew), 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. I am taking the bow, and if it gets down to the wire the mossburg will come out to bat cleanup. I am looking forward to zipping one with an arrow for sure.

sweet the first season is one of my favorites to hunt 8-) good luck and have fun man !!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I applied and drew for the first season, I didn't see the point to put in for any other season and pay extra except for the first 3 because there are always a boat load of tags left for the 4th, 5th and 6th. This year if I play my cards right I can get a 1st (what I drew), 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. I am taking the bow, and if it gets down to the wire the mossburg will come out to bat cleanup. I am looking forward to zipping one with an arrow for sure.

Are you hunting all different zones brad? I think the tags go one sale for each zone on different days, and you can only buy 1 tag a day, I'm going to hunt 3 different zones and hoping to get 3 tags plus the one I drew. That way I have to kill at least one bird haha
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:59 pm

I just hunt zone 1, here the way it works is on day one zone one can buy left over tags and then day 2 zone 2 goes etc etc. then after all zones have picked, they open them up to everyone who wants one in any zone etc. I will try and by a zone 1 time period 3 when they open up for leftover tags, then once I can buy a tag again I will buy season 4, and then the next day season 5 etc. I am after 2 toms this year, hopefully at least one with a bow, but if it takes 4 seasons to do it with a bow I am ok with that too.

BackWoodsHunter wrote:

Are you hunting all different zones brad? I think the tags go one sale for each zone on different days, and you can only buy 1 tag a day, I'm going to hunt 3 different zones and hoping to get 3 tags plus the one I drew. That way I have to kill at least one bird haha
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I just hunt zone 1, here the way it works is on day one zone one can buy left over tags and then day 2 zone 2 goes etc etc. then after all zones have picked, they open them up to everyone who wants one in any zone etc. I will try and by a zone 1 time period 3 when they open up for leftover tags, then once I can buy a tag again I will buy season 4, and then the next day season 5 etc. I am after 2 toms this year, hopefully at least one with a bow, but if it takes 4 seasons to do it with a bow I am ok with that too.

BackWoodsHunter wrote:

Ah gotcha, I guess I just assumed they would all sell out on the first day. I hunt zone 2 and they sell out in the first half hour or so....shouldn't have assumed, we all know what happens when you assume.... :doh:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

It used to be that way here too, time period 3 will go fast but there are more turkeys in zone one then people I believe. There are fields I can drive by every day and see over 200 turkeys in one field. Across the road is public land, literally across the road :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:I just hunt zone 1, here the way it works is on day one zone one can buy left over tags and then day 2 zone 2 goes etc etc. then after all zones have picked, they open them up to everyone who wants one in any zone etc. I will try and by a zone 1 time period 3 when they open up for leftover tags, then once I can buy a tag again I will buy season 4, and then the next day season 5 etc. I am after 2 toms this year, hopefully at least one with a bow, but if it takes 4 seasons to do it with a bow I am ok with that too.

BackWoodsHunter wrote:

Ah gotcha, I guess I just assumed they would all sell out on the first day. I hunt zone 2 and they sell out in the first half hour or so....shouldn't have assumed, we all know what happens when you assume.... :doh:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 am

Week 1 is always my target. I got it this year, but I rarely get it (I am part of group draw). We usually get 3rd period. Its OK. Preference is almost always 1,2,3. In the off years, its been 2,1,3
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53 am

Where I hunt week 1 is a crapshoot to almost worthless as the birds sometimes aren't in the area yet even in good weather and if you add in bad weather it downright sucks. 1st week is way down on my list of choices. I try to play the odds and for where I hunt 2nd or 3rd week is a better option. I normally choose 2nd week as my first choice but last year was tough with the late green up even though I did shoot a bird 2nd week. This year I looked at the calender and 3rd week was almost the same time period as 2nd week last year so this year 3rd week was my first choice and I got it. I will try to pick up a leftover tag for 5th or 6th season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”