Hunting over dusting spots

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Hunting over dusting spots

Unread postby muddy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Works great so long as they're good and dry and is been a fairly long dry streak.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I've shot some of my best birds near dusting spots.

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Killed several over dusting areas, and best time has been mid-day / afternoons. If I cannot locate a bird the dusting area is the first place I'll set up mid-day.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Ack wrote:Killed several over dusting areas, and best time has been mid-day / afternoons. If I cannot locate a bird the dusting area is the first place I'll set up mid-day.

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:37 am

I have never hunted winter birds and our archery season just opened and stays open until January 4th for the first time. What strategies do you guys employ for cold winter birds. Deeks, calls, etc?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:04 am

JROD157 wrote:I have never hunted winter birds and our archery season just opened and stays open until January 4th for the first time. What strategies do you guys employ for cold winter birds. Deeks, calls, etc?

Your best bet would be locate a flock, find out where they roost and feed, then sit back and watch. Its hard enough to call to a hole Flock during spring. During the winner its nearly impossible. I would ambush them were they want to go...or set up were you have seen them feeding

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:17 am

The biggest thing a dusting spot tells you; there are birds in the area. I hunt dusting spots that are in cruising areas.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:56 am

I see lots of dusting spots and always wondered about hunting them, but never have. Some dusting spots are small - maybe the size of a plate, others are larger areas along the edge of a field. Do you find that one is better than another?
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Trailcamaddict wrote:I see lots of dusting spots and always wondered about hunting them, but never have. Some dusting spots are small - maybe the size of a plate, others are larger areas along the edge of a field. Do you find that one is better than another?

I've done best on the field edge dusting areas....the more bowls the better.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:32 am

What are some good terrain features and things to locate dusting spots? I have picked up on in this thread: field edges, ridge tops? or flat spots, logging roads, etc. What do they usually look like and how can you guys easily identify where they might be? Also, what are great features for cruising areas? Thanks!

Eric
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:38 am

Thats exactly what i was thinking!! The elusive buck beds! I know i have spotted these in the woods before actually picking up turkey hunting(2 years ago). I can imagine what the dirt looks like from dusting, really light and powdery. Is it common to find just one in an area or are there usually a handful of them?
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:28 pm

The one thing in common I have found with all dusting areas around here is sandy soil. Find the flocks, then find areas within their range that are sandy and you'll find the dusting bowls.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:34 am

A farm I hunt I know of a huge field edge dust bowl that the farmer showed me that I can't hunt, turkeys are around this dust bowl periodically all day long, can't ever seem to call them down the steep hillside either

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:39 am

burkhart wrote:
olivertractor wrote:A farm I hunt I know of a huge field edge dust bowl that the farmer showed me that I can't hunt, turkeys are around this dust bowl periodically all day long, can't ever seem to call them down the steep hillside either

Calling birds down hill is tuff. I grew up in Northern WV where the terrain is nothing but 90 degrees. and we always knew the if a bird gobbled we would have top climb those mountians to get above him.

I think its a security issue with turkeys and going o uphill. they like to parascope the ridge lines before exposing themselves.

Yep that's why it's always a last ditch effort now after too many failed attempts :)

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:03 am

Agree killed few birds when all you could see was their head, probably missed way more that way :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”