Injured Bear Attackes Hunter Who Shot It (WI)

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Harding - The Lincoln County sheriff's office says a hunter was attacked by a bear in the Town of Harding.

According to the investigating deputy, 39-year-old Christopher Halfmann of De Pere was hunting with a group of friends Friday morning when he shot the bear. The bear then attacked Halfmann before running off.

His hunting companions brought Halfmann to a Merrill health center, and he was taken to the trauma center at St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay where he was in stable condition Friday night.

The sheriff's office says the group returned to the scene, found the injured bear and killed it. The bear will be tested for rabies, which is standard.

The investigation is being turned over to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
BigHunt

Re: Injured Bear Attackes Hunter Who Shot It (WI)

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 pm

:shock: :shock: got any more info on this carol
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:36 pm

none other then Dan's input which is he thinks the guy got attacked ~ MAYBE.... Because they were dog hunting and cornered the bear.

But no legit info as of right now.

What do you think?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:39 pm

The only kind of legal bear hunting in Wisconsin right now is dog hunting... Bait hunting starts Wednesday.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:41 pm

rabies do crazy things to animals who knows carol i wasnt there to say ....one time up north a fox came running in the bar and was going nuts lashing out to poeple thank god it didnt bite any one it went in the bathroom and they shut the door and called cots
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I was deer hunting a few years ago when CWD was first discovered during one of the summer seasons, I was walking back to the house and I heard a weird noise, I looked just off to the side of me and there was a coon snarling and hissing. It jumped out of the tree from about 8 or 10 feet and came after me. I took a few steps back and realized it wasn't going to stop by me walking away, so I shot it, it took 2 shots at less than 5 feet from a 30-06 before it slowed down! I should have taken it in to the DNR for rabies testing, never really thought about it because it happened so fast but I bet thats what it was looking back on it now. Hated to shoot it but I wasn't going to get bit either, and he seemed to be dead set on that option.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:51 pm

dan wrote:The only kind of legal bear hunting in Wisconsin right now is dog hunting... Bait hunting starts Wednesday.

Not quite right Dan, we can hunt here in zone C since last Wednesday. Hounds are not allowed in zone c, so we do not have to do the every other year switch.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:
dan wrote:The only kind of legal bear hunting in Wisconsin right now is dog hunting... Bait hunting starts Wednesday.

Not quite right Dan, we can hunt here in zone C since last Wednesday. Hounds are not allowed in zone c, so we do not have to do the every other year switch.

You are correct... Sorry, that totally slipped my mind.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Word Is 2 bear hunters were also attacked here In Minnesota.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”