Bear Hunting : Is all the Drama worth it ?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear Hunting : Is all the Drama worth it ?

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:28 am

Hilts you hunting today? Im going to be up there with the Rat Slayer at Mikes place on Monday..

Schultzy... Your hunting the wrong area. We hardly saw anybody hunting up bu us, and the ones we did see mainly stuck to the main road. We could of shot 3 or 4 more bear with no problem off our 6 baits.

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:58 am

Nope, our group always starts on Saturday. I will be hunting the whole week though if you want to stop out.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:03 am

Schultzy... Your hunting the wrong area. We hardly saw anybody hunting up bu us, and the ones we did see mainly stuck to the main road. We could of shot 3 or 4 more bear with no problem off our 6 baits.
Every year Dan I complain about It but yet I go back up there the next year. lol! It's a pride thing really. I don't like giving up and letting someone else In on our hard work through out the years. Back In 1974 my dad was the 1st bear hunter on this road. Not a soul hunted this road but then again not many bear hunters either back In the day. It wasn't much of a road at the time, just wide enough to get a small truck down It. This road Is exactly 20 miles long. We call It the 20 mile road. The size of bear In this area remind me allot of the big bucks In Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin. The genetics are awesome. There's monster bear here. That's the only reason other then the pride thing that I haven't packed up and went some where else yet.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 am

Schultzy wrote:
Every year Dan I complain about It but yet I go back up there the next year. lol! It's a pride thing really. I don't like giving up and letting someone else In on our hard work through out the years. Back In 1974 my dad was the 1st bear hunter on this road. Not a soul hunted this road but then again not many bear hunters either back In the day. It wasn't much of a road at the time, just wide enough to get a small truck down It. This road Is exactly 20 miles long. We call It the 20 mile road. The size of bear In this area remind me allot of the big bucks In Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin. The genetics are awesome. There's monster bear here. That's the only reason other then the pride thing that I haven't packed up and went some where else yet.

I understand you Shultzy, in the other side, you know it's public land so the time that you and your family did use it don't give you more right then others.
No real solution there...only always stay there... :cry:
Only have the best (more needed) food on your bait.

Good luck and I hope you will not have hard conflicts...
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:05 am

Liberty-Hunt wrote:I understand you Shultzy, in the other side, you know it's public land so the time that you and your family did use it don't give you more right then others.
You miss understood me. I know It's public land and not In the least do I think It's ours. That would be asinine for me to think that. There's something called ethics and respect though. Allot of hunters lack that very thing.

The problem Is liberty Is that hardly a soul wants to work for their animals anymore. These days hunters are lazy and would much rather take the easy way out and leech off of someone else's hard earned work.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:50 am

Schultzy... I would keep going back deeper till they quit following. They don't like work.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am

Schultzy wrote:The problem Is liberty Is that hardly a soul wants to work for their animals anymore. These days hunters are lazy and would much rather take the easy way out and leech off of someone else's hard earned work.

That's not all bad, it probably saves more big bears and deer for those who love to work for them.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:59 am

dan wrote:Schultzy... I would keep going back deeper till they quit following. They don't like work.
Yep, I agree. I was talking with dad about this very thing the day before I came home.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 am

Schultzy wrote:
dan wrote:Schultzy... I would keep going back deeper till they quit following. They don't like work.
Yep, I agree. I was talking with dad about this very thing the day before I came home.

I had some issues with baits at 1st too a couple years back, when they were off main roads, or marked. I quit marking them and navigated deeper, and used better bait and my baits rocked this year.
In town outfitters were calling Chads bear "huge for up there"... And were crying about the lack of bears, meanwhile we had huge bears on all the baits in daylight... some bigger than chads.
With bear hunting you sow the seeds you reap... You do the hard work and get back farther than anybody else and it pays off... Sure it was a pain getting the bears out, and bait in, but better than no bears, little ones, or hassles.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:19 am

Schultzy wrote:
Liberty-Hunt wrote:I understand you Shultzy, in the other side, you know it's public land so the time that you and your family did use it don't give you more right then others.
You miss understood me. I know It's public land and not In the least do I think It's ours. That would be asinine for me to think that. There's something called ethics and respect though. Allot of hunters lack that very thing.

The problem Is liberty Is that hardly a soul wants to work for their animals anymore. These days hunters are lazy and would much rather take the easy way out and leech off of someone else's hard earned work.

That's clear! I fallow you in this!

Clearly my option, if I face this situation.
;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 am

And we thought we had it bad simply because there was a 4 wheeler running around in a powerline clearing a few hundred yards from us. Doesn't sound that bad anymore.

I've toyed with the idea of a Boundary Waters bear hunt. There would certainly be less pressure (only 7 bears shot there in 2009, but common sense and experience tells you there's plenty of bears up there). No wheelers, no vehicles, no pre-baiting, no boat motors, etc. Plus it would add to the experience in my opinion. The only tough thing would be packing out a bear in a canoe and trying to keep the meat fresh. Would probably have to go later in the season, skin it out in the woods, and keep the meat in those bags like they do elk or moose hunting, and hunt a short paddle from the entry point.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:01 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:I've toyed with the idea of a Boundary Waters bear hunt. There would certainly be less pressure (only 7 bears shot there in 2009, but common sense and experience tells you there's plenty of bears up there). No wheelers, no vehicles, no pre-baiting, no boat motors, etc. Plus it would add to the experience in my opinion. The only tough thing would be packing out a bear in a canoe and trying to keep the meat fresh. Would probably have to go later in the season, skin it out in the woods, and keep the meat in those bags like they do elk or moose hunting, and hunt a short paddle from the entry point.
Hunting the BW could be a great Idea! It can be done when It comes to the meat. My dad shot a big moose back In 1987. They were 6 miles back. No meat spoiled. They did loose one hind quarter to some rapids when the canoe tipped. :mrgreen:
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:23 am

dreaming bucks wrote: Bear hunting can be pretty dramatic with all the other hunters out there.... I mean, you got guys stealing your camera's, stealing baits, running dogs off your bait's, etc.....

It really can be dramatic... but if you manage to pull it off, the satisfaction is off the charts. You have me flashing back a few years to Michigan's Upper Peninsula- I was walking the edge of a swamp when a well over 300# bear flew past me at ten yards running faster than any horse could :shock: I really did a double take, and the hounds showed up a few minutes later. they paid no attention to me and continued on their track.

I really enjoy trying to find areas these days with a whole lot less drama, in fact i go out of my way for relatively peaceful bear hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”