Bridge Bear 2011 !!!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Bridge Bear 2011 !!!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 am

I had a fantastic Do-It-Yourself bear hunt yesterday, with the weather and wind lining up perfectly for one of my bear stands I had in place. The stand consists of an easterly facing peninsula that juts out into a series of beaver ponds. My stand was located near the north east corner of the peninsula, with my bait lying directly south of the stand. The wind direction was out of the south east at five to fifteen miles per hour. This wind direction would allow a bear to walk along the northern edge of the peninsula and take in all scents from across the entire point of land. With the wind quartering into their face, I felt they would feel quite safe approaching the bait- and in fact this is exactly how the bear I took approached the stand. But I’m getting a bit ahead of myself…

The afternoon hunt began with my stand entry and getting all of my gear in place. This included a camera arm and HD Video camera to film the hunt. I had been settled in for less than a half hour when I heard a noise from behind my stand. I slowly turned and was surprised to see a large bear crossing the ponds and approaching the bait. He was definitely a target animal and I estimated his live weight to be right around four-hundred (400) pounds. He was very nervous and hit the bait with a small tree blocking his vitals. When he finally stepped forward I drew my bow. It was very quiet but a slight noise of the arrow being pulled back was detected by the bear and he took off running. He approached one more time and faced my tree while checking the bait- it would have been an easy bear to take with a gun. He finally departed by walking right down the middle of the peninsula. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

A half-hour of time passed and the weather and wind remained quite stable. I glanced to the west along the northern edge of the peninsula and saw another bear approaching. This was the approach I had anticipated with the wind direction for the day. Once again I got my video camera up and running for the encounter. The bear looked pretty good and I also readied my bow. Once the bear came into full view I estimated the weight to be right at the three-hundred (300) pound mark. I ran a lot of video recording waiting for the bear to get into the right position. Finally the bear stepped into a position that gave me a good angle on vitals. I released an arrow and was ecstatic that it completely penetrated the bear and exited the other side.

The bear responded by charging past the base of my tree and stopping right behind my stand. I heard a lot of crashing and sticks being broken for the next several minutes. The cover was so thick I could not see the bear despite my estimation that he was no further than twenty yards from my tree. Finally the bear growled a couple of times at high volume. This was not the moaning that is sometimes heard, but an actual “growling” noise like a dog would make. I figured the bear was through and glanced at my watch to note the time. I waited a full half hour before descending from my stand and taking up the trail, with the video camera rolling.

I found the bear in an unusual position, upside down and under a blown-down tree. I noted two beautiful white marks on the chest. On closer inspection, I was in awe of the exit hole the arrow created on the bear. Both sides of the bear had large holes from the arrow’s entrance and exit and I was very pleased with the performance of my equipment. Speaking of equipment I had used several items that many of you would be familiar with. While on stand I leaned against a “Bark Silencer” from Stealth outdoors that kept me quiet any time I shifted my weight. The combination of my new Forge Ventilator bow and Muzzy one-hundred (100) grain three blade broad heads was lethal and I once again looked in awe at the entrance and exit wounds on the bear. My custom camera arm from Dan Infalt and the Hunting Beast website made videotaping my hunt as easy as I could possibly hope for.

The bear weighed in today at the local meat locker right at two hundred forty-seven (247) pounds dressed. I couldn’t be more pleased. In reflecting on the hunt, I am not too disappointed that the larger bear got away. Dragging him out by myself most certainly would have required me to cut him up, something I would really rather not do.
I absolutely love bow hunting for black bear!

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Bridge Bear 2011 !!!

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 am

nice job. going on my 1st bear hunt in october, cant wait!

great story and congrats on the bear.
You can't kill em on the couch
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 am

Congrats S.B. on a nice bear, and a good story and pics too!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:02 am

Great story and bear SB! Way to kick off the season.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:03 am

Awesome story man and big congrats! That's so cool! Way to get it done and glad all the new equipment performed as advertised (that's rare in todays marketing LOL) That's a dandy bear and he looks a little mean! Way to give him the shaft! Anyways congrats and awesome bear hopefully we can see your footage in a future Extreme Bear Tactics episode!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:09 am

That was a great hunting time, no doubt about it!
Congratulations!!! So happy for you! I just love Bear hunt...
You'll maybe have the chance to catch the bigger one next season!? I hope that for you!
Can't wait to see the film!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 am

Looks like the 1st one on the board...great job.

Real good looking bear. Looks like he wasn't gutted in the pics....you drag him out that way? :shock:

Must have been a huge job by your self.....guts or no-guts. Bear are a pain to get out by yourself.

Congrats again.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:02 am

Great story SB! Glad you had a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 am

Great job Singing Bridge!! Looking forward to seeing the video. I'm sure it will be awesome! What kind of camera did you use?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 am

SWEET congrates
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks guys- it ended up being a very satisfying hunt! 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:04 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Thanks guys- it ended up being a very satisfying hunt! 8-)

i bet 8-) i cant wait to get my tag 2 more years 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:08 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Awesome story man and big congrats! That's so cool! Way to get it done and glad all the new equipment performed as advertised (that's rare in todays marketing LOL) That's a dandy bear and he looks a little mean! Way to give him the shaft! Anyways congrats and awesome bear hopefully we can see your footage in a future Extreme Bear Tactics episode!

thanks BackWoods- we'll get that footage up sooner or later. 8-)

Hodag Hunter wrote:Real good looking bear. Looks like he wasn't gutted in the pics....you drag him out that way?

Must have been a huge job by your self.....guts or no-guts. Bear are a pain to get out by yourself.

thanks Hodag- he was gutted out before I started dragging him, i tried to hide it in the pics. You are so right about bears being difficult to get out by yourself, a royal pain!

DEERSLAYER wrote:Great job Singing Bridge!! Looking forward to seeing the video. I'm sure it will be awesome! What kind of camera did you use?

thanks DEERSLAYER, the camera I used is a Canon Vixia HFR200!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:50 am

That's what I'm talkin about! Did you let the Infalts get wind of your kill? Maybe rub it in a little that you got the first bear on the board ;) The pressure is on now for the other beasts with bear tags.

What did you use to get this pig out of the woods this time SB?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Awesome story and Congratulations ! :) :) :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”