Good soak in Minnesota last night

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

James
500 Club

Good soak in Minnesota last night

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:59 am

This morning I awoke at about 5:00am to some pretty good storms. Got up and checked the radar to see much of the state getting a nice soak North to South. I established 2 bear baits this last Saturday afternoon, so I am hoping I had some bears find those before this early morning. I largely put out foods that do not spoil in the rain but also had a pile of cookies that certainly will go bad (Licorice, Gummy candies, Hard candies)

My biggest fear is that the bears did not find my baits yet and now my scents are washed away. What are everyones thoughts on rain + baiting and establishing baits. I believe I had a solid 60 hours before it rained. I hope that is enough time. My third bait was established a week earlier in an unproven area new to me and was not hit last weekend. So if these 2 new baits do not take I'll be in panic mode this weekend.

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Good soak in Minnesota last night

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:10 am

I'm more worried about my tent. I left my tent up there staked to the ground. Hope they didn't get the wind I got here this morning. Big branches down everywhere, 60 mph winds.

I also hear you on the bait thing as well. I don't mind It raining after a bait Is active as It will wash some of our human scent away but I hate It when a bait Isn't active as It will wash some of the stink away. Most of our baits were hit 4 days after we put them up on the 12th and 13th. This surprised me being allot of these same baits get hit with In 2 days of us putting them up usually every year. Established baits are sure nice to have. The only bait that didn't get hit was a new one we put up. It will eventually though but the rain Isn't going to help any. Heat Is a baiters best friend. At least for us It Is being we use 60% meat on our baits. The hotter It gets the stinkier the meat gets thus more scent.

Good luck James on your bear hunt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 am

SUCKS FOR ME, EVERYTHING WILL BE MUSH... But all my baits were hit... So hopefully the bears do not move on before I get back up there.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:59 pm

How do you guys think my donuts, cookies, and dogfood faired in the rain? Think my baits will still be active?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 am

Mushy! Lol! I'm guessing the winds were out of the west, Keep an eye out for a tent If mine Is missing Dan. :mrgreen:
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:36 am

From what the weather map on TV 6 showed, it looked like storms came thru there again last night. And it's suppose to rain there Sunday and Monday...... I better pack the boat too!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:32 am

:(
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 am

Ended up getting no rain the whole week where we hunt. Lucked out.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Schultzy wrote:Ended up getting no rain the whole week where we hunt. Lucked out.

Dan headed up before me....I talked to him today he said there wasn't much rain so the weather didn't ruin our baits but the baits were pounded by the bears. He said some of them didn't even have a single spec of bait left

[ Post made via Android ] Image
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Chad, same story for me. I just returned from up North and my baits were absolutely pounded by bear. I had them super loaded up and in 7 days I was cleaned out. 780 trail cam photos on one bait that I believe is a decent bear. I'll post pics in another thread in a minute.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Sounds like one of a good year coming soon!! Our baits were pounded as well! 10 for 12 hit, not a thing left In 9 of the 10 hits and we use ALLOT of bait. Look out the 1st few days of bear hunting I'm thinking. Piles and piles of day time hits on our baits as well. Some baits we've got as many as 5 different bear hitting them. What a shitty year not to get drawn for a license. :x The guys and gals who got drawn In our group should do well I believe.

Good luck all.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”