Scouting for bears electronically and in the field

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Scouting for bears electronically and in the field

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Thought maybe we could get a thread going about tactics everyone uses when scouting for bears. In the outfitter or DIY thread Dan and others referenced reading sign properly and finding likely bear spots using aerials and topos.

I was wondering if you could post some tips and tricks for reading maps to find bear sign. We have gone over the terrain changes and spots to find mature bucks what are you looking for to find big bears? I am a ways off from drawing a tag just curious what tactics you successful public land bear hunters and private for that matter.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Scouting for bears electronically and in the field

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 pm

When I'm looking to set up new baits I look for dense cover on maps In low lying area's. The area I hunt In Is pretty much flat so I don't look much Into topo's. I do however like baiting close to swamps. Swamp meaning low lying cedar swamps. Their by far my favorite. I don't like baiting In a woods that Is some what open. For the most part If I can see 15 yards past my nose the woods Isn't thick enough for my liking. We've shot bear In more open area's but the majority of our big bear have been taken In very thick low lying area's. I also think a person can some times be In their bedroom too close but I'm still on the fence with this one yet. For the most part I'd rather hunt a mature woods, not a young woods.

Whenever we set up a new bait we always make sure what wind directions will work for the said bait and try and visualize where the bear will be coming from. Early In the hunting season south winds here In Mn are the prevailing winds. As the hunting season progresses that changes more to NW. Never will we hunt a bait If the wind direction Is wrong unless the hunter Is on his last leg of the hunt. Rules sometimes get thrown out the window then. :mrgreen: Try setting up multiple baits that work for North winds, south winds, etc. Having options to go to different baits Is huge Instead of sitting at camp when the wind Is bad at a bait you want to hunt. Most of our baits are best for NNW winds. A few are good for south winds and west winds. I wish we could set up more for southerly winds but the lay of the land where these baits are just doesn't work out.

This last weekend while baiting we put out another new bait. This bait will work excellent for any southerly or west wind. Possibly even a NW wind. Were excited about this bait. It's an old clear cut about 10 years old. The clear cut Is very low (swampy like, very wet). We found a bear bed In the clear cut and also a bunch of trail sign that looked like bear (padded trail sign In tall grass). We set up to the north and west of this about 70 yards In a cedar woods that's fairly thick. We found a triple cedar for a stand tree. Can't wait to check this bait Saturday.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:54 pm

excellent post, Schultzy-

I look for cedar swamps as well, especially when they are in conjunction with beaver ponds. When I locate these types of areas, whether by topo / aerial / word of mouth, I gear up to go in on foot and give them a once over. Cedar swamps and beaver ponds seldom disappoint me when it comes to black bears, and I usually find bear dens, droppings, tracks and scratch trees in the area. I like to use the beaver ponds as a barrier for stand set up, while playing the wind.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:53 am

Schultzy wrote:We found a bear bed In the clear cut

What does a bear bed look like? Do you find they like something over their head while the bed, like a fallen tree top or something?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:49 am

Singing Bridge wrote:excellent post, Schultzy-

I look for cedar swamps as well, especially when they are in conjunction with beaver ponds. When I locate these types of areas, whether by topo / aerial / word of mouth, I gear up to go in on foot and give them a once over. Cedar swamps and beaver ponds seldom disappoint me when it comes to black bears, and I usually find bear dens, droppings, tracks and scratch trees in the area. I like to use the beaver ponds as a barrier for stand set up, while playing the wind.

So you set up so your scent blows across the pond then I take it? So the bear would either have to come in upwind or parallel to the bait as it would be too hard for them to get downwind to scent check the bait? Too do that they would have to walk along the other side of the pond...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:04 am

Black Squirrel wrote:
Schultzy wrote:We found a bear bed In the clear cut

What does a bear bed look like? Do you find they like something over their head while the bed, like a fallen tree top or something?
To me really there Isn't much difference between a deer bed and a bear bed. Sometimes you can find black hair In the bed to confirm It. We didn't find any but the path the animal took from the bed was not from a deer. Bear have padded feet and will really lay the grass down where they walk unlike deer. This spot where the bear bedded was very tall grass and It was wet (muddy). Lots of under brush was around too. With the heavy coat a bear has places like this gotta feel pretty good you would think.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:47 am

I use Topo's and aerials a lot when bear scouting... Not really looking for major elevation changes but more so looking for cedar swamps, funnels along those swamps caused by waterways, terrain features, etc... I like to find thick cool swamps where the temp drops about 10 degrees when you walk into the cover... Big bears can't take the heat, they go where its cool and a little wet.
I like to put openings, water, or obsacles behind my set up to deter bears from circling or put them in easy shooting if they do...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:09 pm

I like to put openings, water, or obsacles behind my set up to deter bears from circling or put them in easy shooting if they do...
We tried this on a clear cut 4 years ago. We moved our bait to a different location using the clear cut as you pointed out to our advantage. So far from this same bait we've shot 2 P&Y bear off of It In 4 years. We've got other clear cuts around but the surrounding woods aren't the stuff we like to hunt In. Good post Dan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”