2011 Hunting BEAST bear camp!!!!!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

2011 Hunting BEAST bear camp!!!!!

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:38 pm

And so it begins... This weekend starts the baiting in Minnesota and Chad and I are both hunting in a romote area of far Northern Minnesota. We are going to drive up baiting the next few weekends and the last one we are staying to hunt... Its a great place to hunt and I have really had some ups and downs in that area.
ACRider 1st turned me on to bear hunting in Minnesota and I am very greatful to him for that. James was a big help too, and even lent me a place to sleep once... I shot a small bear while Greg ( ACrider ) filmed me that 1st year on the last day of the hunt. Even though it was a small bear, it was a very rememberable hunt with friends that will always be cherished.
The hunt with Greg was farther south though,.. And I really wanted to hunt the far norrth woods...
I booked a hunt with a guide the next year and was very disapointed. With a dozen guys in camp no bear were killed in a week and 1/2 of us hunted an extra week and remained bearless... I felt the guide put the baits to close to the road and was not carful at all about parading around the bait areas :roll:
I met some other guides, and hunters and found that most had no clue how to hunt bear, they just plopped baits all over the place until a few got hit.
I said I can do this myself... and last time I went I took a guy with me and set 9 baits in remote positions back off the roads. I used topo's and aerials to find remote swamps and land features... 8 of the baits got hit. 6 of them got pounded, and two had more than 10 different bears hitting them... I saw bears everday I hunted.
I wounded a big one.. Hit him in the shoulder. :cry: Then a few days later I convinced myself that a small bear was a big one and shot him... You can't take those shots back... Now its time for redemption... This will be Chads 1st trip and he really wants to get a bear... Better practice Chad!
I will add pics and info updates as the baiting goes on the next couple weekends, and then you will have to wait till I get back...

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: 2011 Hunting BEAST bear camp!!!!!

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Sometimes you just have to do it yourself!! Best of luck over there on the Bruin's Dan, and fellow Beasts'...can't wait for pics 8-)
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:47 pm

have fun dan i know how fun it is bear hunting ive been going up these past cople years helping baiting in lady smith 8-)

ya know its kind of funny the guys that own the land i help on they put the s...t were they fell :oops: ill have to look in the bear fourm and study up on bating placment ;) maby i can help them out this year
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Good luck Dan, I am sure you will do well.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Good luck to you guys!! Sounds like a great time.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Sounds like a good hunt....in great country. Good luck guys, shoot straight.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:42 am

I,ve been on a few hunts up north around Orr,Cook area in the Kabetogama State Forest. It sure is nice up there. My uncle has a 50 year lease with one of the forest companies up there.So hhe built himself a nice little cabin in there. He showed us another cabin with the scars of a big bear who tried to break in. It's pretty neat,huge claw marks on the inside of the cabin.
Good luck with your hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:20 am

Swampthing wrote:I,ve been on a few hunts up north around Orr,Cook area in the Kabetogama State Forest.

Not far from my bigwoods stomping grounds. My game cams are alwasy losing fights with the bears up there.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:54 am

Good luck to you guys.

Give me a call when you get close to set up a meeting place......Friday night or Saturday morning?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Good luck to you guys.

Give me a call when you get close to set up a meeting place......Friday night or Saturday morning?

Saturday morning we are heading up... Give me a PM for where to meet so Carol can plug it into the GPS and I will call you enrought.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:31 am

Man oh man am I going to miss bear hunting this year!! Best of luck Dan to you all up there. Hunting stories will be had and I can't wait to hear them.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Sounds like a great hunt, Chad and Dan. Anxious to hear how it goes for you guys up there. 8-)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 pm

We had a great day up in the woods Sunday. It took us all day Saturday to get there so we set up camp and ate, then took a drive around on the logging trails looking for sign before calling it a night... In the morning we had a quick breakfast and it was all work all day. Chad and I navigated deep into the woods to some isolated spots and set up 5 baits. Chad found a bear rubbibg tree with hair stuck to it nearly 6 feet high :shock: Hopefully he posts some pics! I found some bear poop.. All 5 spots are in great positions! It was a lot of work cutting logs, setting cameras. stand spots for different winds, and hauling all the bait way back in the woods by hand. We started the baits with 4 buckets of food, 2 buckets of donuts, one bucket of dry dotgfood, and one bucket of 1/3 cookie doe pellets, 1/3 cookies, and 1/3 hostess twinkies, pies, hoho's, cupcakes, etc.
Then we poured 5 galloons of grease over the top of each baits logs and on the ground around the bait, then wepoured 1 bottle of maple syrup over the logs, some grampa jakes carmel gel, boisenberry gel, and a half a jar of penut butter, and a jar of jelly. After that I poured a half court of powdered grape coolaid and a 1/2 court powdered fruit punch coolaid over the bat and ground, then a large strawberry and a large orange jellow powder mix over everything... Then I sprayed the baits down with several grampa jakes lures ( Chads cousin owns the company ) And then finished with my favorite... Vannilla extract... You could smell my baits from a 1/2 mile away...
We wanted to put out a 6th bait in a spot I baited two years ago that got really pounded but I never hunted it. Its a long hike in and we were going to do it this morning but driving chads truck thru the woods to get back near the baits took its toll on his truck. He ruptured one break line and the 4 wheel drive got locked on... So rather than get the last bait done we nursed the truck to the 1st town with a parts store and fixed everything... That bait is bothering me though... Next weekend its getting set! 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

man you dont mess around with bait :shock: those bears should be happy untill you lay the hammer down :twisted:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:34 pm

those bears are gonna go into a food coma :shock: holy crap sounds like a lot of work gettin that stuff in, how far off the logging road are these sites?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”