What Is Important To You In A Bear Camp?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AC Rider
500 Club

What Is Important To You In A Bear Camp?

Unread postby AC Rider » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Just curious as to what are the top 10 things a good bear camp should have and/or provide. What would you expect from a fall bear camp to make it a successful and fulfilling experience - especially if you didn't kill a bear? What would you be willing to pay for such a hunt in Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin? Lets say it's a five day hunt.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What Is Important To You In A Bear Camp?

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:27 am

I would want a guide who actually works hard. Most bear guides do not seem to put the work into scouting, they just toss out random baits with no thought about bear sign, or areas they live and travel. I absolutely cant stand it when guides have there baits all within a stones throw from the road. I personally want to be able to ask a guide why he chose a hunting spot and get a real answer. I want them to use a variety of baits. I want them to have a respect for the bears intelligence and not over visit any of the baits.
I had a Minnesota guide once and on arrival day he took all 12 clients to each bait and loudly talked about the set ups and walked everyone around showing them the bait, trees, and trails... Needless to say no one shot a bear.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:47 am

I agree with Dan, I would want a guide that WORKS HARD. Like most forms of hunting, the guide's that put the most into it usually get the best results for their clients.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 am

What would you be willing to pay for such a hunt in Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin? Lets say it's a five day hunt.

About $1000. It depends on if its a rugged or catered camp though... Personally if I were to start a Northern Minnesota bear camp I would start in the $700 range and let supply and demand dictate the price.
I would want to see the camp kept manageable with a small group; of around 12 hunters. If a guide was hired I think you could run more hunters per guide.
I would want to see one fee... No hidden fees for skinning or tracking or trophy fees. Most guys will tip if they get a trophy.

I would want to see cameras ran at the baits... A lot of guides don't run cameras at the baits because they don't want a guy to see the bears at the bait or the lack of bears or day hits. If baits are put out properly, and you have a good number of baits per hunter cameras should not be a problem.

I would probably start the hunt out by having the guys look at the pic's and draw out of a hat for pick of the spots... I hate to be in a camp where I paid for a spot and see some TV host getting all the best spots and you know he is hunting free. So making it fair for everyone would be my concern.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:47 pm

dan wrote:
I would probably start the hunt out by having the guys look at the pic's and draw out of a hat for pick of the spots...

I love that idea!!!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:14 am

What I like to see....

Value for the price. Been to $2000 camps (back in the early 90's) and $400 camps.(2005) The $2000 was a tent camp and the lowest at $400 was staying in cabins......so cost is not all dependent on sleeping, toilet, shower arrangements. Liked both set-ups but value for your dollar. I have been to (4) different bear camps and liked them all but knew what I/we were getting into before arrival.

If paying the money I want help getting the bear out, and skinning right away. Have done it both ways just know up front what is included. Another big factor is am I driving my vehicle (gas prices) or the guide. Again no problem either way if known up front but must be weighed into the overall cost of the hunt.

Like the others said knowledge why a bait is where it is. Don't really care if it's close to a road if it is a producer.

Camera pictures are nice but not a requirement. (haven't been to a "high" dollar camp sine trail cams became popular)

A selection of a few stands beforehand. Give me the option of 2-4 baits and let me chose which one to sit.....after hearing the guides recomendation will play a part in my decision of course.

Know up front if the guide REALLY caters/sets up for bowhunters. Has been a few uh-uh-oos in the past but quickly resolved.

Fresh stands available to sit or previous sat stands as an opion to sit. Never can have too many baits. Been to low dollar camps where the guide still had 60-80 baits. Minimum (2) fresh baits for everybody.

What is the "real" average bear shot in the camp. Don't raise expectations before arrival. Some camps have 150-175 pounder as an average bear available......and that's ok if known before hand.

Color phase is always a huge bonus in my mind.....never shot one yet.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:19 pm

That's a lot of good info. Thx guys

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 am

I should add that the $400.00 dollar camp(s) were really fishing camps with "guides" having prebaited sites. It happened more than once where I actually relocated baits with-in 100 yards or so for better ambush sites.

The only "true" guided camp was the Alberta trip that cost $2,000. Big bears there......real big.

If your looking to start a camp (just guessing now after re-reading your post) $400 is way to cheap. That same camp is in the $600 dollar range now. Real nice guy, ok cabins, but I hang all my own stands, move baits when needed, drive my vehicle to bait and hunt. He will help with his wheeler to get a bear out if needed but it is always the next day(he has to keep the fishing side of camp going too.)
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am

Excellent comments here. I too want to see that the guide is working hard. A few spots per hunter, for different set ups, wind, not to over hunt a set things like that. I don't like a bear guide blowin' smoke up my but. I've been bear hunting and there is more to it than just tossin' some bait by the road and a hunter or two gettin' lucky with a couple of nice bears and all of a sudden your a "pro"

Camaraderie, bears, a little comfort,tracking, retrieving, skinning, cleaning, taking care of the meat, hunting atmosphere are important ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:28 am

In any bear camp whether It's guided or not to me Camaraderie Is the biggest thing.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 am

Schultzy wrote:In any bear camp whether It's guided or not to me Camaraderie Is the biggest thing.

Ditto above. So here is my top 5

Good company
BEAR
Good sleep
Beer
Ladder Ball or Horseshoes - Gotta do something during the day

Here is a pick of my top 2
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”