Bugs

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Bugs

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:40 am

Over the years of guiding we have never had an issue with Bugs, mosquitos, knats etc, but this year I believe is going to be different, I have never seen so much standing water. I know of a few great products I do recommend. Coleman has a unscented insect repellent called 100 Max Deet, it comes in a small pump spray bottle. Another one, and I know most of you have heard of the Thermacell. I was skeptical of the Thermacell until I seen it in action a few years ago while I was filming for one of the past Drury Dream Season team winners on a trophy Elk & Mule deer hunt in Utah. You think Canada has big Mosquitos :shock: The hunter put the Thermacell on his back pack while we stalked and walked, I couldnt believe how well it worked, for fun he turned it off and the bugs were all over us in minutes. I dont know if they have any unscented refill cartridge but the Thermacell seems to be a great weapon to fight against those pesty bugs.

Anyone have any other good products to fight those relentless blood suckers?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bugs

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:22 am

The two you named are about the best in my opinion, but I personally lean more torwards the Deet... Both give off odor, but its more about playing the wind than trying not to smell. I do avoid products that smell strong, but if bears or deer get your wind its game over anyway. I personally don't think the odor is a big deal. The big deal is where, how, and when you set up to hunt as well as your approach.
I believe a lot of hunters trying to be "scent free" ruin there hunt because of to much movment swatting at skeeters.
I like thermacell but the issues I have with it have been it don't work well when your moving or walking, and its another large pc of equipment you need to carry with you to the stand.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 am

Mike Foss wrote: I dont know if they have any unscented refill cartridge but the Thermacell seems to be a great weapon to fight against those pesty bugs.

I don't think they have anything unscented or ever will, the regular scent is supposed to be that of a chrysanthemum flower...they do make an earth scent refill tho
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 pm

The skeeters and horse flys are so bad right now that my Thermacell couldn't keep up the last few days.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

i wouldn't use them under horrendous circumstances, but has anyone ever tried those adhesive patches that stick to your skin or clothes?? always wondered about those.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:21 am

You need a .410 shotgun to deal with the skeeters that have been coming out of the marsh by me lately... Not a lot of them but they are huge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”