Rub tree

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Rub tree

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 am

At one of our baits In 2010 we had a young boar rub our sign tree. In turn a chocolate colored sow rubbed It a day later. We then got well over 300 pictures of different boars smelling this tree and rubbing It themselves. One of these boars (last set of pics) was a dandy of a bear. This bait ended up getting hit by over 10 bear. Well over 5,000 daylight pictures up till the day before the hunting season opened. We draw for baits and the guy who won the draw for this bait shot a bear the very 1st sit here. He wasn't picky on what he was going to shoot being he had 3 broken ribs when he shot this bear. He's a traditional bow hunter like the rest of us and he didn't know how long he'd be able to hunt for In case his ribs would cause him trouble pulling the full draw weight back and holding the full draw weight unlike a compound. If he would've been In better shape or If my dad or I would've been hunting this bait I believe we would've had a real great shot at shooting the P&Y bear In the last set of pics. My bet Is the bear In the last set of pics Is close to a 20 Inch skull If not bigger. Had many pics of him at this bait 20 minutes before dark. Larry, they guy who had broken ribs shot his bear 1 hour before dark. Moral of the story Is, If you get some rubbing or scratching going on at your bait sights you've got some competition going on. Competition to me Is the best thing you can get at a bait sight.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Rub tree

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 am

Great post!
Hopefully they remember where this tree is:)

Brings back a "bad rib" memory...
I had a few bruised ribs, along with bruised lung and kidney after wiping out badly, landing on a jaggered rock close to my spine (during grouse season).

I managed to drag my left foot around and limit out at the end of a day.
6-days later I shot a nice 6-pointer leaning over for my muzzleloader shot. That was pain!!! Not to mention the drag up a steep embankment about 125 yards. Thank good it only weighed 122 lbs...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 21, 2011 12:06 pm

8-)
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Nice pics and story. Good luck this year! 8-)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat May 21, 2011 11:06 pm

That is a good read. I just got right into the pics then read Ed's response about his ribs. And thought ribs - rubs close enough. Then read JRMs response about how good a story it was. I said to myself there was a story?

So I went back up and read it. And like I said above, good story. Moral of this story, dont just look at the pics :lol: read the stories
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 am

Nice. What are the chances they will use that tree to rub again? Was it just luck, that the tree got rubed or what? Just curious, I don't know much about bears.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Nice. What are the chances they will use that tree to rub again? Was it just luck, that the tree got rubed or what? Just curious, I don't know much about bears.
Not sure about this particular tree. I guess It depends If there Is still scent on It from the bears rubbing It last fall. On scratch tree's (territorial marks) I've saw that they'll sometimes rub/scratch them every year. I know of 2 of them that get hit every year. Unfortunately we aren't hunting either of these spots anymore, a certain of a guide Invaded us. I still sneak In here every year though and see If the tree Is getting hit.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Every bait station has one of these trees near by and as long as you maintain that bait station they will keep using the same tree, its like going to a wedding and signing the quest book "I was here".
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 am

Mike and Schultzy good info.

The only place I bear hunted a friends dad has been running a bait at that location for about 15 years. So that is a pretty long running spot. If I understand what you wrote, it should have a rub tree.

I should ask my friends dad what he knows of a rub tree there. All I know is they got a lot of bears in there and I just put in for my 3rd pref point today, so I have about 2 more years before I get back in there.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 am

Interesting stuff to me as I no very little about bears.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 am

8-)
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 pm

If you get a chance to see one of these trees, you can visually see, hair, a darkish color stain (oil from hair) and if you dare, take a whiff :mrgreen: (the smell is not that bad lol). The next time I am out checking baits I will take a close up picture of some trees and post them.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:26 pm

Mike Foss wrote:If you get a chance to see one of these trees, you can visually see, hair, a darkish color stain (oil from hair) and if you dare, take a whiff :mrgreen: (the smell is not that bad lol). The next time I am out checking baits I will take a close up picture of some trees and post them.
Before we started running trail camera's we'd always look on our bait tree where we hang our meat sack or on scratch tree's If they were present to see what color of bear we had hitting the bait. We always got pumped when we would find brownish hair. Wasn't very common 10+ years ago. Getting to be more and more around now though.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 am

Slowly but surely we are also getting color phase bears in Northern Wisconsin, My wife and I filmed a young sow with 3 cubs 4 years ago, two of those cubs were color phase, one got shot the following year and it was a beautiful pumkin color. I remember years ago it was a big deal if you shot one that had some white on its chest, now its very common to get one.

Schultzy....In the past I aso got excited about the brownish hair we would find on trees only to find out that it doesnt take long for the sun to bleach the hair out so it appeared to be light brown when it really was black. It baffled me why my hunters were not shooting or seeing any of those bears...took me a while to figure that one out :oops: lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”