First NWO Bear of 2011

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

First NWO Bear of 2011

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed May 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I know bears are hungry coming out of hibernation so on April 20th well after they have already been out of hibernation I set one of my trail camers out at one of my bait pits from last year to see how often in one months time a bear or bears that was feeding at it last hunting season would re-visit it this Spring. It took 3 days (April 23rd) for a bear, a young boar to check out the bait pit, he has since returned on the 29th & 30th. I will leave that bait pit un-baited until May 20th then I will start placeing bait at it and keep records of it for another month. So far all visits are well after dark, this I believe is do to the lack of foliage, they just do not like it during day light hours when there is nothing to hide behind. It will be interesting to see if day time activity increases as the foliage increases. Why do this? you ask, Im just crazy about bears and would like to educate myself more about the animal I love to hunt.
"TO EDUCATE IS TO CONQUER"

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: First NWO Bear of 2011

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed May 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Looks like I am not able to post a picture or can I?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 04, 2011 8:16 pm

You need to upload pictures to photo-bucket or a simalar site to host them in order to post them... If thats an issue send it to me and I will post it for you.

I think its really cool that you put in the time scouting and learning bear behavior. The more you know, the better you get at understanding what makes them tick. Thats the differance between a weekend warrior and a true hunter. When a question arrises, the true hunter will seek to answer it.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu May 05, 2011 12:38 am

Looking forward to the pictures.

I find by me anyways, bears are up in the hardwoods this time of year more than a guy thinks, even if it is a little open. Think they are up there sucking up acorns not eaten from last year and sunning themselves on north facing ridges. Once the days become longer and start getting hot out its back down in the black stuff where they pretty much stay bedded.

When we could place mineral licks out I would have them out before the snow fully melted for deer. Some areas were in the hardwoods and was shocked with the amount of bear daylight activity on the trail cameras. Can't say for sure but think the bears where looking for does to track back to fresh dropped fawns along with the food and sunning reasons.

What do you think?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 am

Now that you say that Jason, I was amazed at the amount of bear sign ( mostly poop, some tracks ) I saw while scouting the public woods by your place last weekend. And none of the sign was in the swamps, it was all in the open hardwoods where I personally would not of expected it... Whats your thoughts on that Mike?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 05, 2011 1:22 am

Fresh sign or last years sign Dan?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 am

They will go where the food source is, if there are acorns left over from last fall what a treat for them. They will travel great distances to find food. This time of year they are starting to get into trouble. They are hitting the bird feeders. Here is a e-mail I recieved early this morning.

Date: Wed, May 4, 2011 4:23:56 AM

wow, I just chased off a big bear from our bird feeder here at 4:10 am. I was seconds from getting my video camera on it but it started to leave, either by the dogs barking or saw me moving in the dim light. but he just stood there on his hind legs and could eat right out of the box, meaning this bear was over 6 feet tall. What a rush to run outside yelling and shoot off a pistal and then hear him run off, those big heavy steps. Its funny how long he just stood there eating while the dog barked at him from like 2 yards away from the house. What can I do to keep him from coming to the bird feeder?

My answer was: Stop feeding the birds for awhile, remove your birdfeeder and rake up and remove all bird seed.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 05, 2011 4:20 am

Schultzy wrote:Fresh sign or last years sign Dan?

Both..

My answer was: Stop feeding the birds for awhile, remove your birdfeeder and rake up and remove all bird seed.

My answer would of been : I will be right over to set a bait and we will get rid of him this fall for you.. ;) :lol:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu May 05, 2011 8:17 am

I wish it was that easy Dan, everyone complains about the bears but I still have a hard time getting permission to hunt them on properties.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 06, 2011 10:27 am

Added Mikes bear pic...

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am

For spring time looks like a pretty decent bear.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 am

Thats pretty cool, Mike. Good luck on your bear scouting this spring ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”