New to bear hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MIsteelworker

New to bear hunting

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:27 pm

So I’m going to apply for a bear tag for the western UP of Michigan. I’ve never bear hunted before and really don’t want to hire a guide if I draw. So I was wondering what to look for as far as area to look for mostly on maps since I won’t be able to go up there much this summer? And good threads or videos?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New to bear hunting

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:21 am

Personally I would look for thick swamp edges that border hardwoods or thick clear cuts... There are some good DIY bear videos from Minnesota on my youtube channel if you skim thru, the link is in my signature.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:22 am

I generally focus baits on the edges of swamps white thick cover, around beaver ponds also makes great habitat for bears. Using satellite images can be great way to get a general location of a bait site, but I have had numerous times were I pick a spot out, put boots on the ground and find someone else has a bait there (Northern WI).

As far as videos go there is a lot of good info out there, Dan has some videos, BowhuntingRoad those two should be enough to keep you busy for ahwhile
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:27 am

MIsteelworker wrote:So I’m going to apply for a bear tag for the western UP of Michigan. I’ve never bear hunted before and really don’t want to hire a guide if I draw. So I was wondering what to look for as far as area to look for mostly on maps since I won’t be able to go up there much this summer? And good threads or videos?

One of the best to talk to about bear hunting in Michigan on here is Bear Magnum. Contact him (Matt you out there?) and he will fill your ear on what you need to know. Good Luck
MIsteelworker

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:21 am

dan wrote:Personally I would look for thick swamp edges that border hardwoods or thick clear cuts... There are some good DIY bear videos from Minnesota on my youtube channel if you skim thru, the link is in my signature.

I started watching your bear or bust series again yesterday it’s what’s making want to give bear hunting a try. Being from SE Michigan were we dont have bears in the area and not personally knowing anyone that does the diy bear hunts Ive got a lot to learn. thank you for the reply
Last edited by MIsteelworker on Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIsteelworker

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:22 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:I generally focus baits on the edges of swamps white thick cover, around beaver ponds also makes great habitat for bears. Using satellite images can be great way to get a general location of a bait site, but I have had numerous times were I pick a spot out, put boots on the ground and find someone else has a bait there (Northern WI).

As far as videos go there is a lot of good info out there, Dan has some videos, BowhuntingRoad those two should be enough to keep you busy for ahwhile

Thank you I’ll take a look
MIsteelworker

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:23 am

Mike Foss wrote:
MIsteelworker wrote:So I’m going to apply for a bear tag for the western UP of Michigan. I’ve never bear hunted before and really don’t want to hire a guide if I draw. So I was wondering what to look for as far as area to look for mostly on maps since I won’t be able to go up there much this summer? And good threads or videos?

One of the best to talk to about bear hunting in Michigan on here is Bear Magnum. Contact him (Matt you out there?) and he will fill your ear on what you need to know. Good Luck

Thank you
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:52 am

MISTEELWORKER.... One thing about bear hunting that I have learned is no matter where you go it will be different as far as what works best goes, in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada or other parts of the country might not work as well as in Michigan. Your best plan of action is to find a reputable bear hunter in the area you're going to hunt and start asking questions. Starting on here was a first good step though
johnwilson008
Facebook: *

Unread postby johnwilson008 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:17 am

Hi Dear
Bear Magnum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:03 am

Mike Foss wrote:

Thanks Mike.

My first question is, what season are you planning on hunting? 1st season is a completely different hunt than 3rd season. Those 2 weeks make a huge difference in where the bears are, what they’re willing to eat, how active they are in the daylight, etc.

Not to be self promoting, but I run the Bear Hunting Podcast, and have put out hours of conversations about all the details about how to kill a bear in the UP. I would recommend giving those episodes a listen if you get a chance. Myself and my guests give more details there than I could ever write on here.
MIsteelworker

Unread postby MIsteelworker » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:36 am

I am planning on the 1st season and it will be on public land and I will definitely be checking out your podcast
Rjcleven

Unread postby Rjcleven » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:22 am

I am no means an expert, but I also had the best luck on the edges of swamps. In my limited experience it was easy to find bears, harder to find an area that didn't already have a pile in it. I also planned for prevailing winds entering and exiting the bait site. My best bait was 50 yards from a small spring. So good in fact someone else decided at the end of august he wanted a pile there too. :roll: I personally thought baiting was more fun than actually shooting the bear. 9 more years and I’ll get to do it again!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”