To hunt with dogs or just bait ?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

To hunt with dogs or just bait ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:13 am

I have never bear hunted before, but it is starting to spark my interest... But my question is, what is the best way to hunt them here in WI, with dogs or bait ? I just sent in now for my second year in a row for preference points... What is it now, is it 7 years before you can actually draw a kill tag in WI ? Anyway, I'm just starting to think ahead a little bit as to how I want to hunt them when I do finally get a kill tag... I have a friend up North above Mercer that has friends that run dogs, and that does sound pretty fun to me.. I can't imagine a 300 to 400 pound bear falling from 50 feet up a tree after you shoot them... But on the other hand, I think it would be fun to shoot one with a bow over bait. You can use a bow, correct ? What do you guys like doing to hunt them ? I'm new to all this bear hunting stuff, so any input would be great...... thanks.

Hilts

Re: To hunt with dogs or just bait ?

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 am

For me, it's hounds hands down. Having a bear 10 steps from you fighting with dogs is an adrenaline rush like none other.

But, you can do both. Run hounds during the day and sit a bait in the evening. I am sure you can find someone to ride around with during training season (july-aug) to see if you would enjoy running them with hounds. I can always squeeze another person into my truck for a weekend if you wanna drive up to washburn. That is if you don't mind a couple of yapping kids that will talk your ear off from the backseat all day :).
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 am

When I got my first bear tag in 2006 I wasn't sure how I felt about hunting over bait since I dislike it so much for hunting deer. I thought I would give it a shot and I was very surprised how exciting the hunt was and rate it as one of the most exciting hunts I have ever done.

I ended up shooting a bear the first evening with my bow and let me tell you the first time you hunt a bear is a rush you will never forget and something very different than hunting deer. Just the fact that you are hunting a large predator really puts you on the edge and the adrenaline rush is unbelievable especially when a bear is right under your tree.

My only regret was that my hunt was over so fast after waiting 9 years for a tag. I passed on a smaller bear before I shot mine but in hindsight wish I would have waited a few more days to enjoy the experience longer.

As far as hunting with dogs I have heard that can be very exciting as well and may try that when I get my next tag. Like Hilts said, running dogs in the morning and sitting over bait would be the way to go and get the most out of your hunt.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:04 pm

It really depends on your style of hunting and what you like to do. Hound hunting I think, is more about watching the dogs work, whereas bait hunting is more about you vs. the bear.........I really prefer bait hunting, but everyone has different preferances.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:46 am

I shot my 1st bear with hounds and loved it... It certainly was an adrenalin rush. I had bears on the ground within 10 yards of me twice. However, I like bait hunting even more. The one on one chess match with a large bear can be really rewarding. I would suggest you experiance both types of hunting if possible.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:54 am

like the others mentioned......try both before getting your kill tag.

Tag along with a hound group during the training season, you will do everything but pull the trigger.

Go buy a class B permit and bait a year or two before getting your kill tag. Sit in the stand and watch the bears come in, just can't shoot them......compare both methods and decide which you prefer once the long awaited tag arrives.

I still bait bear most years (missed last summer/fall) just to keep sharp and track of some of the bigger ones in my area. I want to know what is alive when it's go time with the kill tag.

I've run with a couple different groups with their hounds during training season.....it is a ton of fun. A lot more work and rush than I thought it would be, but I will still bait for bear when my tag arrives hopefully next fall. I've killed (5) with the bow over bait and don't plan on quiting yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”