Volunteers needed for Wisconsin bear population study

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Volunteers needed for Wisconsin bear population study

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:39 pm

MADISON -- Are you knowledgeable about the outdoors? If so, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources needs your help with an upcoming bear population study.

It’s easy, fun – and purposeful.

Participants will help DNR scientists update the state black bear population estimate. Last completed in 2006 by the DNR with help from the Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association and the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the study is used to sustainably manage the bear population.

Here is how to get involved -- and what you’ll be asked to do as part of this important study:

Contact the DNR biologist in your county. Check the list of bear study wildlife management contacts (pdf) for names.
Talk about the process with the biologist. You’ll determine how much time you can donate. Any amount is appreciated.
If you are working on private lands, you’ll need to get the OK from the landowner to place baits on the property.
Baits will be placed between April 23 and May 15. You’ll receive directions from the DNR biologist about how to handle the baits.
Leave the baits for two to three weeks. Then, you’ll check the baits and remove them from the woods by May 31.
The baits are loaded with food containing the antibiotic tetracycline. Tetracycline leaves a mark on bone tissue. During the bear hunting season, hunters will be asked to provide a rib sample which will show if the bear ate the tetracycline. DNR scientists will use information on the number of baits eaten by bears, bears harvested and harvested bears marked tetracycline to estimate the population.

The 2006 study showed the bear population was much larger than other studies had suggested. In an effort to keep current on bear population trends, the DNR’s bear management plan calls for repeating this population study every five years. The final results of this upcoming study will be available in 2013.

The DNR sends an early thanks to the Wis. Bear Hunters Association whose members already have volunteered to set and to check baits as part of this spring’s study. They also will build about 4,000 bait boxes and help find baiting material. Their participation was critical to the success of the 2006 research, and the DNR looks forward to working with the group and – and the new volunteers -- again this year.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Dave MacFarland - 715-365-8917

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Volunteers needed for Wisconsin bear population study

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:41 am

I volunteered for (8) areas in my county. Sounds like a good idea and shouldn't have a problem having the baits hit in the areas I was assigned.

State is looking for approximatly 3700 bait stations......quite a few volunteers needed.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 am

Another note when you call and volunteer have a plot book handy, you will need the Township and Range numbers with the section numbers being constant.

Section numbers are 8, 11, 26 and 29.....constant with each and every "page of the plot book" or Township and Range number. The constant placement in the section numbers keeps the baits about 3 miles apart.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 am

I called and volunteered for this as well. I don't want other schmucks on my land but I have no problem putting the bait out myself. There's also 6 40's of paper mill land across the road from us I could throw some out on too I suppose. Hodag have you gotten ahold of these people and gotten more details on the study?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 am

I should say I called and left a message to volunteer got no answer.

On a side note- I've been subscribed to these DNR email updates like Dewey posted for probably 2yrs and this is the only one I ever got that was of any value to me.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I called and volunteered for this as well. I don't want other schmucks on my land but I have no problem putting the bait out myself. There's also 6 40's of paper mill land across the road from us I could throw some out on too I suppose. Hodag have you gotten ahold of these people and gotten more details on the study?

Make sure you have a plot book handy when you do talk to them, this is important....the baits will not be placed on just any land. You'll understand if you open a plot book and look at all the section numbers.....most pages will show sections 1 thru 36. Only one(1) bait will be placed in the sections 8, 11, 26 and 29. In other words only (4) baits per plot book page. Your land may or may not fall in one of the four sections (8, 11 ,26 and 29).

The number to call in the Rhinelander area, or Oneida county is (715) 365-8848, her name is Michelle. Dave McFarland is running the whole show (he is in Rhinelander also) but he will give you Michelle's number above to call and set up areas.

The baits will only be out for 3-4 weeks and the DNR supplies the bait. It consists of a small box, assume wooden, that is stuffed with peanut butter and a marshmellow that is laced with the Tetracycline. The box will be placed in a tree hung from the ground. It is assumed the only bear can reach and smash open to get at the peanut butter and marshmellow. It won't be hard to hang and go back and retrieve if not hit in the set time frame.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 am

Hey thanks Hodag! I used the link in the email I got and called some guy named Erik. I will try michelle as well. What if I don't have a plot book though to get those numbers? :shock:
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:36 am

I put out 8 of these back in 2006 when they did it the first time. They were a small wooden box that you screwed to a tree at a height that non-climbing critters couldn't reach. I just took a climbing stick when I did it. I can't quite recall what the bait was, but I think it resembled a BLT with tetracycline in the middle. I know it was wrapped in bacon.

Hopefully the end result of this study will be more tags like the last one.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:29 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Hey thanks Hodag! I used the link in the email I got and called some guy named Erik. I will try michelle as well. What if I don't have a plot book though to get those numbers? :shock:

I think most public librarys(in respective counties) will have a plot book?? If not, you can pick one up at the court house for about $20. If you order one from a map place they are about $40.

It will make things a whole easier when on the phone with the gal and placing the baits to have a plot book. She maybe can explain to you over the phone if you have a detailed conty map open or even a topo might work.

If you were closer could make some copies of pages you wanted. Headed north anytime soon?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey thanks hodag! We actually have a whole pile of plot books at grandpas house but he is fortunate enough to be comfortably retired and spending this winter in arizona. Must be nice eh? Anyhow I was supposed to get up there this week but things came up and I'm currently in Milwaukee (hate when plans change). However, I did get in contact with michelle and she was eager to hear from me. I am in section 23 in the town of Cassian and they are looking for sec 26. Which we basically border. If she can't find anyone in 26 they will let us hang one on our land but she was hoping we knew some neighbors and stuff and could get permission but that's not really going to happen. There's a lot of public land around us that I know my way around but its all to the north and they need something south. I said if they could find people willing to let me walk their land I'd gladly hang the boxes but I have no contacts myself. Oh well I tried to help and am still on the list. The study is neat for sure and wish I was around that area more to be a better help to its success. Wonder if they will ever do any wolf studies up by us there???? I'd like to help them take a few samples :twisted:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun May 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Took a bike ride with the wife and kids and set (2) of the (10) I need to set out. Threw one more up on our lake propoerty which happened to be in one of the required sections. Tomorrow Lil Hodag and I will finish the rest and then take the wife out for Mothers day Brunch.

Poor internet reception here in Rhinelander, will give a more detailed post with pictures when back at the office or somewhere else.

Good day getting the whole family involved. Daughter got a bigger kick out of it than I expected as she liked carrying the bait box right to the tree.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon May 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Must be nice! They needed a box in one of the sections that bordered mine but had no volunteers and wouldn't let me place one on our land. Maybe next time I guess. Can't wait to get the full story and see the pics/results to follow. I saw a sow and 3 cubs in Price county this morning...

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”