Deer hunter turned Bear hunter

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiMan

Deer hunter turned Bear hunter

Unread postby MichiMan » Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 pm

So this will be my “second” season bear hunting. Last year my dad and I were invited along to a bear camp and having never done it (and not really ever having a lot of interest in) said what the heck, nothing else to shoot with a bow in September. My only personal stipulation was I would only take a mature bear. I’ve been a Michigan bow hunter for 20 years this last season and I learned a long time ago I just don’t find satisfaction in taking a young naive animal. I figured at the very least I’d experience something new, meet some new people, and get away from work for a week. Well... now something I was never interested in and always dismissed as an easy killing of a baited animal turned into a straight up addiction! I’m gonna go again every year I can get a tag!
I never killed a bear last year. Never even saw one. The first night I sat a bait I’m 100% certain a bear came up behind me (down wind) and left after smelling me. The rest of the trip was similar to that experience for my dad and myself. (He did have some action with a sow and cubs a couple nights.) Kind of shook out to our host being a bit of an amateur and us not knowing a thing about bears. (Not to take anything away from our host. The man was gracious enough to have us in his camp for free, run baits, feed us, etc. awesome dude. Just not at that next level yet.) Been a long time since I’ve learned so much about something in a week tho. This guy had trail cam pictures from 5 or 6 baits from the last couple years. The stories, the locals, the friends that stopped by the camp, and then all the time in the woods.... info overload. (Mind you this is pre introduction to the way of The Hunting Beast)
I left that camp hooked on bear hunting like I left deer camp after my first time with dad.
So here’s where I’m looking for input. As a deer hunter I started with a lot of bad information, did a lot of the wrong things, did a lot of the wrong things a different way and so on... I’d like to flatten that learning curve in the bear world. I don’t want to shoot a small bear. I don’t need to shoot a big bear. I want to shoot a mature bear. That’s very important to me. I feel like I’m a pretty “with it” capable hunter. (I’ve killed some stuff ;) )I’ve watched Dans DIY Bear camp, some YouTube, read on here, etc. So what advice do you guys have for a vet/novice hunter? I will most likely be scouting, baiting, and hunting alone in Michigan’s UP.

Some things I noted as problematic last year:
-Bad set ups (you guys hammer that out pretty good in other treads)
-Hound hunters running bears in same area. Possibly striking tracks off baits.
-heavy baiting by multiple parties in an area
-sporadic bait hits
-Stands too close to bait
-access trail to stand same as baiting trail

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Deer hunter turned Bear hunter

Unread postby dan » Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 am

MichiMan wrote:So this will be my “second” season bear hunting. Last year my dad and I were invited along to a bear camp and having never done it (and not really ever having a lot of interest in) said what the heck, nothing else to shoot with a bow in September. My only personal stipulation was I would only take a mature bear. I’ve been a Michigan bow hunter for 20 years this last season and I learned a long time ago I just don’t find satisfaction in taking a young naive animal. I figured at the very least I’d experience something new, meet some new people, and get away from work for a week. Well... now something I was never interested in and always dismissed as an easy killing of a baited animal turned into a straight up addiction! I’m gonna go again every year I can get a tag!
I never killed a bear last year. Never even saw one. The first night I sat a bait I’m 100% certain a bear came up behind me (down wind) and left after smelling me. The rest of the trip was similar to that experience for my dad and myself. (He did have some action with a sow and cubs a couple nights.) Kind of shook out to our host being a bit of an amateur and us not knowing a thing about bears. (Not to take anything away from our host. The man was gracious enough to have us in his camp for free, run baits, feed us, etc. awesome dude. Just not at that next level yet.) Been a long time since I’ve learned so much about something in a week tho. This guy had trail cam pictures from 5 or 6 baits from the last couple years. The stories, the locals, the friends that stopped by the camp, and then all the time in the woods.... info overload. (Mind you this is pre introduction to the way of The Hunting Beast)
I left that camp hooked on bear hunting like I left deer camp after my first time with dad.
So here’s where I’m looking for input. As a deer hunter I started with a lot of bad information, did a lot of the wrong things, did a lot of the wrong things a different way and so on... I’d like to flatten that learning curve in the bear world. I don’t want to shoot a small bear. I don’t need to shoot a big bear. I want to shoot a mature bear. That’s very important to me. I feel like I’m a pretty “with it” capable hunter. (I’ve killed some stuff ;) )I’ve watched Dans DIY Bear camp, some YouTube, read on here, etc. So what advice do you guys have for a vet/novice hunter? I will most likely be scouting, baiting, and hunting alone in Michigan’s UP.

Some things I noted as problematic last year:
-Bad set ups (you guys hammer that out pretty good in other treads)
-Hound hunters running bears in same area. Possibly striking tracks off baits.
-heavy baiting by multiple parties in an area
-sporadic bait hits
-Stands too close to bait
-access trail to stand same as baiting trail

Bear hunting is one of those things that appears one way, but if you really hunt bear, and not just sit other peoples baits (not that there is anything wrong with that) you can quickly get addicted and see its not as easy as perceived to do it yourself. You can learn a lot from the bear guru's on this page... There are a handful of great ones here. But one thing you will see is vastly different opinions on certain tactics... And that don't mean any of them are wrong, just differing situations. A guide baiting the same great spot for years can really have different reactions to bears that have been coming there for many years. And guys killing bears that just found the bait a couple weeks ago in a spot there has never been a bait at before, are a lot different... Like in Wisconsin we can only put out 10 gallons of bait at a time, but can bait from april on... So winning the battle here can mean baiting often for a long time, baiting in MN starts a couple weeks before hunting and there is no limit on amount making it better for the DIY guy... I guess really, what im saying is take the advice from the guys here, but take it with a grain of salt and test theories, don't fully trust them and find your own groove... There is a huge difference in hunting small bears, and old wise bears...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat May 16, 2020 2:57 am

There is much more satisfaction in a DIY hunt, the learning curve doesn't happen overnight, it will take years to develop your own strategies, what works here doesn't necessarily work there, pay close attention to the littlest details. Just as you think you have it figured out it will throw you another curveball, but that's what makes bear hunting fun. Like Dan said "don't fully trust them" as bear hunting is different all over, its years down the road when you will finally understand what that statement really means. Welcome to the world of bear hunting, have fun!
MichiMan

Unread postby MichiMan » Sat May 16, 2020 3:47 am

Thank you for the words of wisdom gentlemen. Coming into this totally green all I really have to fall back on is my deer hunting experience. In the deer hunting world all the guys that are at that “next level” all have their own styles that get it done for them. But over time listening to all these different guys you start picking up on these similarities or common ground every one seems to agree on. For example, everyone who is killing big bucks is pretty much in agreement they are on their feet well before dark. Not nocturnal. This kind of stuff is what I’m trying to pick up on in the bear world. What do all these different guys and styles have in common and what little tips and ideas can I add to my thought process. So what are some things like that you might tell a newbie?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat May 16, 2020 6:23 am

MichiMan wrote:Thank you for the words of wisdom gentlemen. Coming into this totally green all I really have to fall back on is my deer hunting experience. In the deer hunting world all the guys that are at that “next level” all have their own styles that get it done for them. But over time listening to all these different guys you start picking up on these similarities or common ground every one seems to agree on. For example, everyone who is killing big bucks is pretty much in agreement they are on their feet well before dark. Not nocturnal. This kind of stuff is what I’m trying to pick up on in the bear world. What do all these different guys and styles have in common and what littletips and ideas can I add to my thought process. So what are some things like that you might tell a newbie?

Not every bear is the same, they have different wants and needs, when you have located a specific bear that you want to hunt and the bear is a regular visitor a trail camera or two will be your best friend, start writing down or log important info such as times, dates, weather etc, eventually, a pattern will develop, even if that mature bear visits only 2x a week a similar pattern will happen. Chances are if your lucky you will only have one crack at that bear, always keep in mind this isn't deer hunting these bears are highly intelligent problem solvers, they will figure you and things out in a hurry BUT they will work with you also. Stand placement is crucial NEVER NEVER hunt when the wind is wrong, you will not get away with it, that's the fastest way to educate and turn that bear nocturnal or even worse, gone for the season. Fresh bait and a good scent attractant is a must, don't skimp. Experiment different baiting techniques, just because your state rule or regulation says unlimited baiting or10 gallons or you can use meat it doesn't mean you have too, besides every other hunter out there is doing it "think outside the box :think: ". You're going to scratch your head more times than not. Your best teacher will eventually be yourself.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:21 am

Not trying to be a jerk here.

Guy wasn't on next level? Didn't know much about bears?

Yet you say, I've never hunted bears, wasn't interested, no experience? I only shoot mature animals, not naive immature animals.

Then you say, I learned so much, guy fed us let us run baits etc, pictures from all these years, the people stopping buy, camp atmosphere.

I've got twenty plus years into bear hunting and guiding.

My advice. There's no better learning experience then learning from your own mistakes. Get out and do it. The bears will show you all you need to know.
MichiMan

Unread postby MichiMan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:25 am

Jim Wallner wrote:Not trying to be a jerk here.

Guy wasn't on next level? Didn't know much about bears?

Yet you say, I've never hunted bears, wasn't interested, no experience? I only shoot mature animals, not naive immature animals.

Then you say, I learned so much, guy fed us let us run baits etc, pictures from all these years, the people stopping buy, camp atmosphere.

I've got twenty plus years into bear hunting and guiding.

My advice. There's no better learning experience then learning from your own mistakes. Get out and do it. The bears will show you all you need to know.

Let me clear this up here because it seems I might not have painted the clearest picture and maybe not coming off in a good light to some. The owner and host of this “bear/deer camp” is not what I would consider to be a very serious hunter. The camp is for family vacations and entertainment of business clients. He lives 4 1/2 hours downstate and pays a local to run the baits, check the cameras, clean the cabin, mow the grass. There’s been like 4 bears killed in this camp in the last 10 years. Talking strategy and technique I personally didn’t get the impression the man had a lot of experience. The neighbors stop by, the guy that baits, we talk to the guys at the sports shop. It’s bear season, everyone wants to talk bears. We got some advice that seemed worth taking note of a couple times. It was an eye opening experience to me to see how hard these animals really are to hunt both through my time in the woods and others stories. I knew I wasn’t in a super elite bear slayin camp (and I didn’t expect that, I was just happy to be hunting) but I was making the most of it, trying to soak up everything I could and analyze it all. As far as taking mature animals, that’s my thing, it’s important to me. It’s personal preference and a standard of my own. I’m not telling anyone else what they should or shouldn’t be shooting, I really don’t care what others do.
I understand I am going to make a ton of mistakes in the woods and I intend to learn what I can from all of them. This forum is simply one of many avenues I’m taking to gain knowledge and maybe get pointed in the right direction as I get my feet wet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”