Myths of bear hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Myths of bear hunting

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue May 05, 2020 8:35 am

This should generate some discussion!

https://youtu.be/F068SBeMU3s

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Myths of bear hunting

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue May 05, 2020 8:56 am

Good video.... What's the most bait stations you have placed and baited during any particular season and how many bait stations are you going to have this year? any hunters lined up for Minnesota.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am

Excellent video!
Thanks for allowing us into your experience...! :clap:

Ever hunt NH?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue May 05, 2020 11:59 am

Another great video as always.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue May 05, 2020 10:01 pm

Mike Foss wrote:Good video.... What's the most bait stations you have placed and baited during any particular season and how many bait stations are you going to have this year? any hunters lined up for Minnesota.

When I first started baiting nearly 20 years ago I would put out 8-10 baits every year and then just keep the ones which were the best for the next year and add more. After a few years I had it narrowed down to about 5-6 baits that were good every year and I started analyzing what these baits sites had in common, that's when it began to click and I began to learn how to pick a really good site. I started out not knowing much and learned the hard way. We are now limited to 3 sites per person in Minnesota, which is plenty if you know what to look for. I ran 5 baits in Ontario of my own and worked with a young guy there who had a bear hunting concession. Between my sites and his we filled all the tags of the 9-10 friends and family I brought up there in August each year for four years. I'm no longer doing that, but it was fun while it lasted.

This year I do not know of anyone who is getting a tag for MN so I am going to Wyoming in August to bear hunt for a week or two then I will have an antelope tag in my pocket also. September will be weird for me without any baiting, but I will probably go to Manitoba for a bear hunt if the border is open.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Tue May 05, 2020 11:04 pm

I am not a bear hunter but was one due to experiences you mentioned who thought their vision was poor makes sense now. They thought that I just looked like a tasty treat to them!! thanks for the insight.
Haste makes waste
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:16 am

:handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed May 06, 2020 2:42 pm

I think your spot on. The vision one I find interesting. They catch movement for sure. But they will stare through you knowing something isn’t quite right but go back to whatever they were doing. Either they don’t think a person in a tree is a threat or they just don’t care. As far as table fair, black bear is #1 hands down in my house. It’s really superior in taste to any other wild game I’ve taken including elk, bison, antelope, white tail, mulies, red deer, etc.
Persistence is undefeated.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu May 07, 2020 3:00 pm

I agree with all of it. A few things you didn't mention. How to get them to come in later in the season. In Wisconsin, we start around Sept. 5. After about a week, it slows down many times. I always wanted to hunt later in the season . It's cooler, less chance of spoiling. This could be a myth, however, the bear slow down later in the season. Is this true? I always have less trail cam pics later in the season over a bear bait. However, there is much less baiters in the woods . Is it also a myth that you stand a chance to get a bigger bear later in the season??
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 pm

ihookem wrote:I agree with all of it. A few things you didn't mention. How to get them to come in later in the season. In Wisconsin, we start around Sept. 5. After about a week, it slows down many times. I always wanted to hunt later in the season . It's cooler, less chance of spoiling. This could be a myth, however, the bear slow down later in the season. Is this true? I always have less trail cam pics later in the season over a bear bait. However, there is much less baiters in the woods . Is it also a myth that you stand a chance to get a bigger bear later in the season??

Great questions, Not sure I can answer them 100% for certain, but I do know that there tends to be a lot of natural foods available after a week or two of season, the acorns are dropping particularly. I think that's the majority of it. I do know of people who get bears into October, but that depends on natural foods as well. In Maine a few years ago there was a complete failure of natural foods, beech nuts, acorns, etc. The bears went into hibernation the middle of October all at once. Baits went dead, and I talked to the biologist Randy Cross about it because it didn't make sense to me that if there were baits available why would they den early just because the natural foods failed? He didn't offer an explanation for that, but he said that 6 of the 8 bears they had radio collars on went into the dens over a 48-hour period. Interesting.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:29 am

Bear will always den you early if there's no natural food. If you see any bears out running around during that time it's usually very small bears who don't know any better.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed May 13, 2020 1:56 pm

ihookem wrote:I agree with all of it. A few things you didn't mention. How to get them to come in later in the season. In Wisconsin, we start around Sept. 5. After about a week, it slows down many times. I always wanted to hunt later in the season . It's cooler, less chance of spoiling. This could be a myth, however, the bear slow down later in the season. Is this true? I always have less trail cam pics later in the season over a bear bait. However, there is much less baiters in the woods . Is it also a myth that you stand a chance to get a bigger bear later in the season??

I believe in Wisconsin the last week or two of the bear season is your best chance for a big bear.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu May 14, 2020 10:32 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

I believe in Wisconsin the last week or two of the bear season is your best chance for a big bear.

Shot some big ones during that time! Watch for the warm up days.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

Shot some big ones during that time! Watch for the warm up days.

My Outlook at it is, 40% of people are tagged out, 50% given up, only 10% still at it, alot less baits to contend with. I have also noticed the bigger bears seem to get a little braver on coming into the baits during shooting hours the later in the season you get. I've seen patience really pay off.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”