2020 Bear Tags

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

2020 Bear Tags

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:27 am

The Wisconsin Bear tags are out, good luck.

hearteater

Re: 2020 Bear Tags

Unread postby hearteater » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:44 am

how do you know if you drew? I do not see it on my account.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am

hearteater wrote:how do you know if you drew? I do not see it on my account.
. Check to see if you have any points, if your back to zero you drew a tag
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:06 am

Five points for me. I'm thinking about trying to draw Zone D next year.

Let's hear your opinions is it better for a baiter to draw when the baiters go first or when the hounds go first?
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:24 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:Five points for me. I'm thinking about trying to draw Zone D next year.

Let's hear your opinions is it better for a baiter to draw when the baiters go first or when the hounds go first?

imo….For zone B here in Wis, absolutely try to draw when baiters go first. My son (and I) got it done last year baiting (while hounds affected us) but only once the hound season ended . But I think most importantly is being able to hunt the very first week before the bears start hitting the natural food (and less of your bait.) Yes, this is weather dependent (berries/acorns ,etc. ) but most baiters in our area will always try to go first. I believe it takes more points to draw in the years the baiters go first.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:Five points for me. I'm thinking about trying to draw Zone D next year.

Not to many people would really know the answer to that question unless your a guide or assist bear hunters every year in Wisconsin. Up until last year (super bad weather) NWO success rate has never changed whether hounds went first or bait sitters. I’m also applying for a zone D tag for next year, I have no questionable issues when hounds go first in Zone D. One big edge for any bear hunter is getting on private land. Your curious about if the hounds can interfere with your hunt, the hounds don’t but the hounds men can. There’s plenty of County land to bear hunt on, get closet to the edge of county/private that you can. Freelance, you going with a guide or DIY hunt? Keep in mind Zone D is a great zone for big bears but the glory days of 5-10 different bears at each bait stations are long gone, the state is finally getting the bear population in check in D. Good luck
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 am

It looks like the DNR will eventually be combining the northern half of Zone D with Zone A and that will all become the new Zone A. I think that might happen for next year, but I'm not sure.

If that happens, I suspect the points to draw what was previously the northern half of Zone D will increase, possibly by 2-3 points. For 2020, the current Zone D was 100% draw with 6 points and Zone A was 100% draw with 10 points. Some drew D with 5 points and some drew A with 9 points. If the zones merge, I think it will take 7-8, or maybe 9 points for 100% draw in the new and expanded Zone A.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/bearstat.pdf
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:33 am

Mountain Man wrote:It looks like the DNR will eventually be combining the northern half of Zone D with Zone A and that will all become the new Zone A. I think that might happen for next year, but I'm not sure.

If that happens, I suspect the points to draw what was previously the northern half of Zone D will increase, possibly by 2-3 points. For 2020, the current Zone D was 100% draw with 6 points and Zone A was 100% draw with 10 points. Some drew D with 5 points and some drew A with 9 points. If the zones merge, I think it will take 7-8, or maybe 9 points for 100% draw in the new and expanded Zone A.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/bearstat.pdf
. 49.1% with 5 points drew tags this year in Zone D. You are correct though, it will take longer once the new zones are established.
hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:48 am

I drew a zone d tag this year and was browsing some Outfitter’s that hunt in that zones websites and honestly was not very impressed with the size of the bears. Has anyone that hunted this done in the past been successful finding bigger bears (19inch plus skulls)? Curious if the quality potential is much better than what these Outfitter’s are posting up. I’m also talking public land. Thanks!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:30 am

hearteater wrote:I drew a zone d tag this year and was browsing some Outfitter’s that hunt in that zones websites and honestly was not very impressed with the size of the bears. Has anyone that hunted this done in the past been successful finding bigger bears (19inch plus skulls)? Curious if the quality potential is much better than what these Outfitter’s are posting up. I’m also talking public land. Thanks!

There there but there like ghosts, to shoot one is like shooting a 170 inch whitetail. Don’t know how much experience you have on black bears but good luck
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:17 am

Also, you have to remember, hunters only get a tag on an average once in every 6 years for zone D, the excitement is to great sometimes, tough to judge the size of bears when you don’t get a chance and experience to chase bears all the time, so lots of hunters shoot the first bear that comes in and it’s usually on the smaller size and there’s nothing wrong with that. Your average size black bear in Wisconsin is only 125lbs. Don’t be fooled or unimpressed about any Outfitters and the size of bears that are legal, the big mature bears are there.
Bhaydin

Unread postby Bhaydin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:08 am

I received my email today announcing my tag (Zone C). Pretty excited to draw tags back to back years!
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:18 pm

I really want to do a zone c diy bear hunt but am kind of intimidated. My buddies tell me just get a guide or go to Canada
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 am

brkissl82 wrote:I really want to do a zone c diy bear hunt but am kind of intimidated. My buddies tell me just get a guide or go to Canada

I've hunted with a lot of outfitters all across Canada and I have had a lot of fun doing it and seen/shot a ton of bears. But nothing is more rewarding and fun than doing it yourself.
Derbooze

Unread postby Derbooze » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 am

brkissl82 wrote:I really want to do a zone c diy bear hunt but am kind of intimidated. My buddies tell me just get a guide or go to Canada

My brother and I did a DIY hunt in Zone C last year and we had a blast. I learned a lot, and since we drew tags again this year, we are considering doing it again. Our biggest hurdle was getting baits set consistently while balancing work and family. If I could hire someone to just set the bait sites we found... lol!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”