Bear patterns?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Bear patterns?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 am

I have a question on bear behavior. I'm wondering if a bear is in an area feeding one evening what are the chances he will be there again the following evening? Do they stick to a pattern or do they move around a lot?
I'm asking this because yesterday evening while hunting deer I had a bear come through and screw up my hunt. I'm trying to decide if I should go back to the same place this evening and hope it doesn't happen again.

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Re: Bear patterns?

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 am

I think the reason you're not getting response to this question is because it's a really tough question to answer. There are so many variables between age and gender of the bear, type and quality of the feed along with availability of the other feed options and of course the time of the year makes a big difference too. I would say that having a bear come through is not an indication that it will be back again at the same time the next day unless there is a lack of other available food options. Younger bears are more likely to feed in the same place on consecutive days. And of course if there is a good food source and a sow has hungry cubs to feed, she's more likely to visit it more regularly. Hope this helps.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:50 am

Thanks you for the response. I actually ended up hunting the same spot the following day and had the same thing happen but with different bears. I gave the spot a rest for a few days then went back in and killed a mature buck and saw no bears. Guess it's a roll of the dice when it comes to bears.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Thanks you for the response. I actually ended up hunting the same spot the following day and had the same thing happen but with different bears. I gave the spot a rest for a few days then went back in and killed a mature buck and saw no bears. Guess it's a roll of the dice when it comes to bears.

Sounds like you have a great spot to start bear hunting...... :L:
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:59 am

strutnrut716 wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:Thanks you for the response. I actually ended up hunting the same spot the following day and had the same thing happen but with different bears. I gave the spot a rest for a few days then went back in and killed a mature buck and saw no bears. Guess it's a roll of the dice when it comes to bears.

Sounds like you have a great spot to start bear hunting...... :L:

All I need now is a bear season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”