When to sit???

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mnbearbaiter

When to sit???

Unread postby Mnbearbaiter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:41 am

First year running barrels, so I am kind of a rookie. We are only baiting weekends basically, so I plugged barrel 2/3 full of bait on initial baiting as well as last Saturday's refill. Thousands of camera pics of some nice bears, some oddball bears, and a couple big bears. Alot of morning activity from the average bears, and the big guys mostly at 3-9pm. It is fairly consistent as is the window where the lack of activity is which is 11-3 during day. Without bears being able to hone in on when we will be there due to lack of our presence at the bait do we hunt like 2pm-1/2hr after sunset? It's a long sit, but there are bears visiting the baits multiple times in a 5-6hr time frame. I'm attributing that to the cooler than average temps, and next week looks to be more of the same. Gonna dip into the 40s some days and highs in the low-mid 70s. We are gonna fill barrels up Fri mid day and not touch them again for the duration of the season. 2/3 of a barrel has been lasting almost a week. A full barrel should easily last that long for us? Any ideas you guys have I'd love to hear it?

LOTW

Re: When to sit???

Unread postby LOTW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 am

If you can hack it yeah, nothing wrong with going in at 2.

I’d do 2 in 1 out if you can . If i am by myself I go in bait and leave and try get back inas quietly as possible.

Bumped a nice boar off a bait at 2:30 today
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 am

Yup, sit as long as you can. Comfortable stands help.

Every year at sports show seminars I get asked if I hunt mornings and I often have morning bears ( I do again this year) but I can't figure out a way to get in the stand without spooking them off the bait. So I just don't hunt the morning bears.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:18 am

In all the years of experience all the big mature bears that were shot within the last two hours of hunting, I think one 400lber was taken at 5pm. If it was me, I would go in later in the afternoon when the wind is calmer and has died down some unless your sitting in a enclosed stand.
cb750

Unread postby cb750 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 pm

Following as I think I just got myself a bear hunt this fall. Everyone I've talked to about hunting bears over bait pretty much says afternoons and typically sits before they first bears show.

One tip I also picked up from s routinely successful bear hunter: Bears pattern us as well. They noticed once their barrels were out the bears stopped but the day they went in to restock the bears knew the barrels were full and would come back. It's their belief that the bears learned the sound of the four wheeler coming to restock the bait meant food. So when it came time to hunt they ride it in restock the bait or generally make a bit of noise. Leave a guy back in the stand and ride it back out. It would act like a dinner bell so to speak. When hunting alone they would ride out part way and stalk back to their stand. Just an idea.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”