other than baiting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

milboltnut

other than baiting

Unread postby milboltnut » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi,
I'm new here and hunt the Northern tier of Pennsylvania.... Potter county to be more specific.
PA Bear season, for the last 8 or 9 years, has been extended during the first week of rifle deer season, along with it's regular season. This year it's during the full 2 weeks of deer.

PA doesn't allow baiting....... ??? You can bait deer and bear but only before opening day and a month prior.

My question is this..... what lure is the best out thier or what do you folks use that works.

Ralph

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: other than baiting

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Thats a good question... I have used a number of strong commercial scents to attract bears to bait sites and on several occasions they came in the 1st evening I sprayed the scent. But, I think a lot of of that might have to do with conditioning... There are so many guys baiting and using commercial scents in these areas that bear know when they smell that scent it means food is out... Since you can't bait its probably rare that they smell that scent and as a foreign odor it may cause some hesitation.

There is probably 2 things you could do if your archery hunting bears. #1 feed during the summer legal feeding time spraying a commercial oil based scent and get them used to every time they smell the spray they find food. or #2 stop trying to bring them to you and do more scouting to find where they are and go to them and hunt them naturally. I would lean towards #2.

If your gun hunting there are a few other options like drives, or still hunting.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:13 am

milboltnut wrote:Hi,
My question is this..... what lure is the best out thier or what do you folks use that works.

Ralph

Make sure that you read the actual regulations for baiting for your state.

In Massachusetts this is what is in the Hunting Abstracts:

Illegal hunting methods

It is illegal to use bait and dogs.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/black-bear-hunting-regulations

Seems pretty straight forward. No corn, pastries etc. Nope not straight forward at all.

This is the actual regulation:

Bait means any natural or artificial substance, including but not restricted to, shucked or unshucked corn or other grains, apples or other fruits or vegetables, honey, molasses, anise or other spices, pastries or other breadstuffs, meat or fish products, or any other substances or products which may be fed upon, ingested by, or which otherwise constitute a nutritive attraction or enticement to bear.

https://www.mass.gov/regulations/321-CMR-300-hunting

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
milboltnut

Unread postby milboltnut » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:25 am

just read digest.... can't use lures. thanks HH
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 am

milboltnut wrote:just read digest.... can't use lures. thanks HH

You’re welcome. I was “reminded” one year when I was checked by an EPO one afternoon while I was getting ready to head out for an afternoon bear hunt some years ago.

You may want to consider trying to use a predator call to call them in.

FWIW:

This is the best book on using predator calls to call in black bears that I’ve read so far. The author is a member here. His user name is Saylean. You can search for his posts for additional info.

Bob

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:31 am

In PA you can't use scents that smell like food/bait. You also arent' allowed to feed bears at any time during the year.

Here is the regs.

"it is unlawful to hunt in or around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity. Hunters are responsible for ensuring that the hunting area has not been baited before they begin hunting."

" Bear Feeding Ban It is unlawful to “intentionally lay or place food, fruit, hay, grain, chemicals, salt or other minerals that may cause bears to congregate or habituate in an area.” "

Not a bear hunter as they aren't in our part of the state. I know alot of guys hunt around corn fields during the archery season where there is bear sign. Other than that getting in a group and doing drives is the most common hunting method for gun season.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Check out northwoods bear products out of Wisconsin. I heard a podcast the other day and they were talking about a trade show they do out your way that they offer products that meet legal requirements in states with baiting restrictions. It might even be worth a try to give them a call. Additionally you can hunt bears on a bedding to feed pattern similar to deer. You just have to figure out point a and b. Check out the bear hunting podcast or bear hunting magazines podcast, they have a lot of great information out there.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”